• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sydneycider

Reaction score
I'm quite surprised at how poorly the navy Minnis flannel has sold thus far. It has stylistic issues for me, but, given the remaining stock, that might become a no brainer pickup when on sale.
Patch pockets on a navy flannel suit is... not usual.

But totally not a deal breaker and I've been watching it. Don't let people in on my little secret!

classicoutfits

Reaction score
I like the color of this jacket. But hesitant it’s a bit too dark for spring summer. They posted this on their insta C5E1B07E-D6E8-4F5C-BF97-3C3A31706A0D.jpeg

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like them?

I like them. Quality is good for the price point. The only drawback is I had to wear medium weight aka sport socks as I have scrawny ankles and feet. If I wear dress socks, I find I have to tighten the laces more than usual.

I'm hoping they bring back their loafers though. I only tried them in-store and they felt and looked great. Even the wife complimented them.

mr.invincible

Reaction score
requested a return mid december and still havent seen a credit back to my account or cc.

tried calling and nobody picked up. am i missing something here, or is return service horrible?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
requested a return mid december and still havent seen a credit back to my account or cc.

tried calling and nobody picked up. am i missing something here, or is return service horrible?
Extremely slow. I returned an item that they received two weeks ago. Still nothing. Sent them two emails and no answer. Last time this happened to me I involved Rick personally who fixed it in a heartbeat.

Going to give them the benefit of a doubt since it's been holidays. A couple of more days and then I'm involving Rick again.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patch pockets on a navy flannel suit is... not usual.

But totally not a deal breaker and I've been watching it. Don't let people in on my little secret!

I understand where you’re coming from. But I see more and more places doing suits with patch pockets. I don’t hate it. Agreed it’s slightly unconventional for a flannel suit, but not a deal breaker for me either

tmckay2

Reaction score
I understand where you’re coming from. But I see more and more places doing suits with patch pockets. I don’t hate it. Agreed it’s slightly unconventional for a flannel suit, but not a deal breaker for me either

I don't see it as a bad thing with flannel. Flannel.can be slightly less formal anyway and the texture makes it a bit easier to mix and match with odd trousers so patch pockets just further increases the versatility.

I get having specific sportcoats and stuff but for some of us we can't pour in thousands of dollars into specific pieces and need that versatility.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I don't see it as a bad thing with flannel. Flannel.can be slightly less formal anyway and the texture makes it a bit easier to mix and match with odd trousers so patch pockets just further increases the versatility.

I get having specific sportcoats and stuff but for some of us we can't pour in thousands of dollars into specific pieces and need that versatility.

I recall a few years ago there was a mini-trend of getting excited about "blazer suits" among menswear writers/commenters/makers (I think maybe Sid Mashburn made some?). I guess the trend didn't exactly go away, as you see quite a few extremely casual jackets made with matching pants nowadays. However, I haven't heard that term "blazer suit" in a bit and those "blazer suits" from a couple years ago seemed to be a bit more conventionally sartorial (like the S&M flannel suit) than say, a Drakes game suit. Either way, it's not a bad concept. I could see it being kindof fun having some non-conventional casual details on a suit jacket.

Last edited:

tmckay2

Reaction score
I recall a few years ago there was a mini-trend of getting excited about "blazer suits" among menswear writers/commenters/makers (I think maybe Sid Mashburn made some?). I guess the trend didn't exactly go away, as you see quite a few extremely casual jackets made with matching pants nowadays. However, I haven't heard that term "blazer suit" in a bit and those "blazer suits" from a couple years ago seemed to be a bit more conventionally sartorial (like the S&M flannel suit) than say, a Drakes game suit. Either way, it's not a bad concept. I could see it being kindof fun having some non-conventional casual details on a suit jacket.

For people like me that don't wear a suit often and are more likely to be in a business casual environment it's kind of nice to have things like a hopsack suit where you can wear the jacket with odd trousers in a pinch. I don't think that idea should dominate men's style but it's just the reality of dress clothing for most men these days.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The patches aren’t bad. They’re just suboptimal for my wants.
But, that said, you wouldn’t have to twist my arm too hard to grab one at 25% off. Jetted pockets, on the other hand, would have been a pre-order without a second thought.

mr.invincible

Reaction score
Extremely slow. I returned an item that they received two weeks ago. Still nothing. Sent them two emails and no answer. Last time this happened to me I involved Rick personally who fixed it in a heartbeat.

Going to give them the benefit of a doubt since it's been holidays. A couple of more days and then I'm involving Rick again.

how did you involve Rick? I don't think i'll buy from them again after this ordeal. It's just not worth the headache even in the US and this return service.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Did anyone try out the linen field jackets from last summer? One just came back in stock in my size and I'm strongly considering it. I need something to wear on the Camino de Santiago this summer and I wonder if it would be appropriate. I need something breathable for sure. If anyone can tell me their experience with the weave, the fit, or anything else about these jackets, I would be most appreciative.

edit: The size chart gives me serious pause. I wear a 38 Slim in their sportcoats, but the 38 field jacket seems like it would be extremely oversized on me. A 43.5" chest on a 38 is crazy, right?

Last edited:

Imperatores

Reaction score
edit: The size chart gives me serious pause. I wear a 38 Slim in their sportcoats, but the 38 field jacket seems like it would be extremely oversized on me. A 43.5" chest on a 38 is crazy, right?

No, that should be about right. Sizing down risks making the sleeves and shoulders too small/tight on the field jackets, in my experience. A bit of extra room in the chest and waist isn't a big deal with the drawstring waist anyway. My linen field jacket is from the year prior to these though, so I don't know if these have any weird quirks. If it's the same fabric as the one I have, it's fairly breathable but not the most lightweight linen in the world (mid to light weight, not as heavy as a lot of irish linens or anything). That can be good or bad depending on what you want, of course. In very hot weather it's too warm for me (>30°C), but I'm also a pale warm-blooded Scandinavian who really can't handle any kind of actual heat.

ZaneLim

Reaction score
A few pages back, there was a discussion about the lack of official photos modelling Spier’s products. What will really help me is having modelled photos of completely new products, like the Wax Jacket, M65 Jacket or Fatigue Pants. That way, before purchasing, I can understand their interpretation and aesthetic changes much more conveniently than relying on the measurement chart.

Anyway, if anyone would like a reference, here is their Fatigue Pants in Natural. It’s a higher mid rise and slightly fuller leg. The cotton is very soft and wears quite cool, so definitely more suited for the warmer months. The colour is the perfect cream for me, such that it seems like an off white from a distance but transforms into a yellowish cream as you get closer.

Attachments

• 30FB24F3-7572-443B-8F14-75AAF15C82C9.jpeg
    30FB24F3-7572-443B-8F14-75AAF15C82C9.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 235
  • E70BB654-D061-4EED-9663-4FFFFD91E1A7.jpeg
    E70BB654-D061-4EED-9663-4FFFFD91E1A7.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads