• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toyo Enterprise Thread - Modern Vintage and Reproduction of Heritage (Buzz Rickson's, Sugar Cane, Sun Surf, Whitesville, Tailor Toyo, and More)

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on the topic of Buzz Rickson chinos, do you know if the William Gibson collection black chinos fit the same as the mainline ones? Ie 34 main = 34 WG collection

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
on the topic of Buzz Rickson chinos, do you know if the William Gibson collection black chinos fit the same as the mainline ones? Ie 34 main = 34 WG collection

Comparing the charts from History Preservation and Self Edge, to my eyes they look fairly similar. Been looking at a pair of the WG black chinos too. If I can't find a pair with the right measurements, I'd just get those and send them to Rail Car.

The wide cut of the 1942 chinos is very appealing in a way but it's definitely a statement, which limits its versatility. In practice, I think for most people they'd blend in more easily if worn as casual pants than as business casual.

The 1945 model is trimmer, though I mostly like it for that beautiful tan shade. There's also the 'Original Cut' model, which is like the faux-40s khakis worn by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape; I think those would make great under-the-radar pants.

Incidentally, last time I talked BR chinos on SF, some guy was trying to argue the superior fit and look of these:

screen-shot-2021-11-19-at-1-11-55-pm-png.1706612

Glad to be in saner company!

Definitely used to wear too slim pants at one point, myself, though not as slim as those.

Before and after of my BR chinos and Sugar Cane 1947 denim. Might not be easy to tell the difference due to angles and lighting but they are definitely more wearable for me.

20210717_073439.jpg

20220208_175515.jpg

20210803_151954.jpg

20220208_180209.jpg

iwhelan

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone comment on sizing for the BR sweatshirts? I have a 37.5" chest, but I'm 6'3" and 165 lbs. The 15" shoulder width on the Small seems a bit narrow for me, and the sleeves may be slightly too short. The medium shoulder width at 16" and the slightly longer sleeves would suit me more, but obviously it will be larger in the chest.

I've read that these sweatshirts tend to stretch a bit after wearing for a bit, so maybe the small would be ok? Maybe I would be able to stretch the sleeves a bit in the length? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone comment on sizing for the BR sweatshirts? I have a 37.5" chest, but I'm 6'3" and 165 lbs. The 15" shoulder width on the Small seems a bit narrow for me, and the sleeves may be slightly too short. The medium shoulder width at 16" and the slightly longer sleeves would suit me more, but obviously it will be larger in the chest.

I've read that these sweatshirts tend to stretch a bit after wearing for a bit, so maybe the small would be ok? Maybe I would be able to stretch the sleeves a bit in the length? Any thoughts? Thanks.
I would absolutely get a Medium. Size up from your TTS. I wear a Large in most US/CA brands and size up to XL for a perfect fit in BR sweatshirts, which I really like. I am typically a XL in Japanese brands.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate that. Related to my original question, if anyone here has a BR sweatshirt and also a Real McCoy's, can you comment on how they are similar or different in fit? Looking at the measurements, it looked like RM had shorter sleeves.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate that. Related to my original question, if anyone here has a BR sweatshirt and also a Real McCoy's, can you comment on how they are similar or different in fit? Looking at the measurements, it looked like RM had shorter sleeves.
BR is much better fitting. TRM is very cropped in comparison. BR > TRM in terms of fleece.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

“It’ll stretch” is one of the great delusions of workwear culture, with very rare exceptions.

Get the medium. If you’re getting them in US, I’d go for History Preservation with their extensive sizing tips and measurements.

RMC runs smaller across the board. I prefer Buzz (and its sister brand Whitesville) for sweats.

tlara

Reaction score
Hi, long shot, but worth a try - does anyone have the Warehouse heather grey ‘82nd Airborne Division’ t-shirt that they’d like to sell? Red and black logo, “Ft. Bragg” under it?

Going to double post (Japanese repro thread), apologies.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has opinions about the Sukajan? What's the material like on those boys? I never really looked at them all that much but recently got curious.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
Anyone has opinions about the Sukajan? What's the material like on those boys? I never really looked at them all that much but recently got curious.

Maybe you should checkout the movie Drive with ryan gosling? I think it was the movie that popularized the Sukajan jacket.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should checkout the movie Drive with ryan gosling? I think it was the movie that popularized the Sukajan jacket.

I've seen it, he wore one, but they've been popular in Japan at least for much much longer. I just want to know the fit and feel of it, not really trying to be one of those "literally me" types who worship these characters.

Plus the one I'm looking at is literally one with Mother 2 (a video game) on the back. I passed on it like 2 years ago, but kinda interested in grabbing one if I find one for a decent price.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
I've seen it, he wore one, but they've been popular in Japan at least for much much longer. I just want to know the fit and feel of it, not really trying to be one of those "literally me" types who worship these characters.

Plus the one I'm looking at is literally one with Mother 2 (a video game) on the back. I passed on it like 2 years ago, but kinda interested in grabbing one if I find one for a decent price.

I bought a Toyo Sukajan reversable jacket (Mt Fuji-Tiger/Okinawa) a few years ago on ebay for what seemed like a low price. Even though it no longer fits, I don't plan on selling it. I love the graphics and the quality of the embroidery. I think it is something that might grow on you or a jacket you might learn to love.

A Mother 2 (I know it as earthbound) Sukajan made by Toyo sounds legit -the game has cult status.

Reactions: XWT

conqueror

Reaction score
so i owned two BR sweats in size M way back in 2010/11ish, but i sold them all when i put on weight.

186cm tall and about 86kg now (i used to be 75kg). torn between L and XL but leaning towards the latter...XXL is going to be way too big, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics