Grant Stone - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GrantStone, Feb 17, 2016.

1. GrantStone

GrantStone Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Hello and welcome to the Grant Stone Affiliate Thread!

First off, I have been a avid StyleForum user/viewer over the years and have enjoyed learning and seeing the overall interest in menswear in these forums, especially footwear. One of the few places where people delve into the specifics of shoe making, construction and leathers.

Grant Stone shoes are made in a goodyear welt shoe factory here on the island of Xiamen, China. We have been making GYW footwear in this factory for over 20 years. This new project has been slowly coming together over the last few years as we have had the opportunity to work with some of the finest tanneries around the world.

Our goal is to make shoes that we personally enjoy wearing, placing the focus on the lasts, materials and the small details.
    We are currently in the beginning stages and would just like to have fun with the whole process, building new make-ups in smaller runs.

We hope Style Forum can be a place for us to share our developments, discuss fitting, do our best to answer any questions you may have and of course, continue learning.

Our site is in the final stages of development and will be live in mid March. In the meantime, you sign up for our newsletter here on the home page - www.grantstoneboot.com

Please also feel free to follow us on Instagram or Facebook for the latest updates!

https://www.instagram.com/grantstone/

https://www.facebook.com/grantstoneboot/

Thank you for reading,
    Wyatt

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016

2. exophobe

exophobe Senior member

3. monicas

monicas New Member

I just fixed it.

4. GrantStone

5. GrantStone

The online store has opened up today.

If there are any questions please post or send a mail!

Fit Guide -
    Our first two patterns are using the same Leo last. It does fit a little full so we suggest going down half a size from your TTS or brannock device. This advice is a bit general so if you are in between sizes, please contact us so we can try and point you in the best direction.

[​IMG]

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hi @GrantStone ,

Just saw the new site and thought I'd be the first to congratulate you on it. It's never easy starting a businesss - best wishes on your ventures.

7. GrantStone

Appreciate it LA Guy. We are excited to get some pairs out there and try utilizing these forums to talk a little bit more about the shoes.

8. magnum13th

magnum13th Member

Hey! I'm really interested in your long wing brogues. Few questions;
    1. Is your sizing in US? And by half a size less than brannock device, if I'm a UK 9 in most dress shoes (Loake Aldwych for example) which you recommend 9.5 or 8.5D? And the width is equivalent?

2. Would you do shipping to Australia? You'll notice a huge number of people on styleforum are Australian and there's a pretty good market for Internet sales here because the local shoe market is way overpriced and under quality... A lot of people buy shoes on the Internet. We can set up proxy mail addresses in America, but that's just really annoying

9. GrantStone

Hi Magnum, thanks the note.

Our sizing is based on US. If you're wearing a 9UK in most dress shoes and 8.5UK for fuller boot or country/brogue type footwear, we would suggest a US 9.5D. I know this is a bit general so if you are unsure about the sizing and need further comparisons, please send us an email ([email protected]).

We are currently looking into the best way to reach international customers. Until this is available on our site, please send us a mail and we will do our best to find a reasonable shipping rate to your country.

10. magnum13th

magnum13th Member

Thanks GrantStone for the quick response...
    I will email you!

11. GrantStone

For the month of April we are offering a 15 day trial period for any domestic purchase. If you are not satisfied for any reason, you're entitled to a full refund. For more information and full collection, click here to begin.

[​IMG]

12. GrantStone

We are now shipping direct to Australia & Sweden. Seamless checkout process for both countries directly on the website!

www.grantstoneboot.com

13. GrantStone

Hi Folks,

We are taking pre-orders for a Cognac Shell Cordovan plain toe blucher all this week. The pre-order will close on January 9th. The specs will be as the below.

- Leo Last
    - Comipel Shell Cordovan, Cognac
    - Thiele, full grain kip lining
    - leather insole, cork filler and triple rib shank
    - pre-stitch, split reverse welt, antiqued mahogany
    - leather midsole and leather outsole, antiqued to match.

If you have any interest or questions, please let us know here.

The photo below is a recent pair, with the same specs as above.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Copy/pasta of a copy/pasta - didn't realize there was an official Affiliate thread until today:

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

...and for anyone wondering about what the shell PTB's look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only have one wear in on these so far (and it is snow/etc. here, so might be a few more days), but they are flat-out beautiful.

Here's a copy/paste of my out-of-box on them: (this was well before they opened up the pre-order above)

tl;dr Excellent, substantial shoes at a great price.

Background:
    I've been really loving my Grant Stone Ottawa boots and the year-end treated me better than I expected, so I was thinking about picking up a pair of their Saddle Tan Plain Toe bluchers. Then I noticed a post on Styleforum that they were doing a limited run of Comipel shell cordovan in Cognac, which is an awesome color.
    I reached out and they still had a few shells left to build, and I was in.

Ordering and Delivery:
    I committed to them on 11/23 and they said I should expect 3-4 weeks. They were delivered to my door on 12/22, so about a month for the build. These are a bit of a test-run for them, so there was a fair amount of communication (mainly questions from me on details, which got really thorough answers). I don't know if they have any more shells, but they have posted a Horween shell PTB on their Instagram they're calling "Dark Cherry" that is pretty stunning. I'm strongly resisting asking if they're taking orders and what they'll charge. Shell will apparently be a more regular part of their product line at some point.

Makeup and Materials Details:
    • Maker: Grant Stone
    • Shoe Name: Cognac Plain Toe
    • Design: Plain toe blucher
    • Construction: GYW Construction
    • Leather: Comipel shell cordovan in “Cognac” - mid-brown
    • Lining: Glove leather
    • Welt: Split reverse storm welt
    • Last: Leo last
    • Lacing: 5 eyelets
    • Hardware: none - hidden eyelets
    • Sole: Double leather sole
    • Details: Cork footbed, steel shank, full grain heel counter
    • Price: $550
    • Album Here: http://imgur.com/a/p4tpc

Packaging:
    Same experience as the Ottawa boots - *Nice* box and packaging. Even the wrapping paper has a branded design on it. Nice brown flannel bags with wood-knobbed pull-strings were included, as was a small keychain shoehorn that doubles as a bottle-opener.

Out-of-box thoughts:
    I was again impressed with how much presence these shoes had - they're clearly extremely well-made. The shell is a really striking tone, similar to some of the Horween Ravello.

Design:
    These are a classic plain-toe design, with the Grant Stone signature cross-hatch detail on the lace facing. The antique edge keeps things looking classically casual but more up-to-date.

Build & Quality:
    The shoes are extremely well executed, and intended to compete with shoes that cost a couple hundred dollars more. The stitching looks perfect. The welt-joins are so good they are hard to find. Everything looks as well done as I can expect. They feel extremely substantial and stable on-foot. I had a brief discussion about the heel counters with Wyatt at Grant stone: "Our heel counters are cut from the outsole bends. When we skive the leather counter, we will skive off the flesh side of leather, to make sure the strongest part of the leather (full grain) is left intact. (They are) wetted and lasted with the upper to mold to the shape of the last." This is apparently not all that common in this price class of shoe (split leather or other materials are often used to reduce costs - other folks can verify what level of shoe generally has this), and is done for long-term reliability/stability of the shoe. I don't know what to say other than they feel great. The lining is nice and soft.

Fit:
    Really good. These actually felt a little tighter out of the box than my Ottawa boots, and exhibited a little more heel slip. Today was my first say wearing them out and about, and the heel slip was almost gone by the time I got home. I'm pretty certain that is going away entirely as I break these things in. As I said in my review of the [Ottawa boots](https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/55c1gd/initial_impressions_grant_stone_ottawa_boot/), the Leo last fit is close to the Barrie last for me dimensionally, but feels different - a bit more tapered at the midfoot and the toe, but offering the same kind of room at the toe but somehow seems more tapered. They're a little stiff, so I'll update this after a few wears, but my expectation is that they'll be really comfortable.

Final Thoughts:
    I'm very happy with these. At $550, they're not inexpensive, but still an outstanding value compared to what I'd pay for a similar Alden, and frankly the high attention to the details continues to be evident. I could spend years waiting for a Ravello pair, and these were at my door less than a month from the word "go" - not bad. The shell is a little stiff, so these are going to take a bit more breaking in than I'm used to, and unfortunately it is going to be mid-January before I'll get a chance to put some wear on them. I'll update and add more pix when I get a chance, but in the meantime I think Grant Stone is offering some seriously outstanding shoes for very reasonable money.