• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

larimars

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Exciting News: We're hosting a huge clearance event for our Ready made shirt inventory. Whether you're in need of formal dress shirts, stylish white party wear with French cuffs, or comfortable casual shirts for everyday wear, we've got you covered. Take advantage of our special deal: Get three shirts for under $100. It's the perfect opportunity to stock up on high-quality, well-fitting shirts.

But hurry, this offer is only valid for this week!

Visit us at:

Unit A28, 180 Queen's Plate Drive, Etobicoke, ON, M9W 6Y9, Canada

Or contact us at: 416-747-5274

simpliciter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bigger guy (6'3 270), and I'm still new to the menswear scene but trying to up my style game and build a wardrobe. I've got a good range of shirts from some of the online custom places (really happy with Luxire in particular) but I have a bunch of weddings to attend this summer and I'm thinking it's time for a good custom suit.

My last couple suits were from some of the more affordable MTM places and I absolutely hated the experience: a junior sales associate writing down a few adjustments to a generic slim-fit/low-rise pattern while seeming visibly disgusted at having to be around someone with my body. And the results were (predictably) uncomfortable and unflattering. It feels like it should be possible to buy a suit that is designed for my body type from someone who will take the time to help me understand what I need, but I don't know where to go for this and am hoping people on here can point me in the right direction. It would also be good to know what kind of financial outlay I can expect--I'm willing to pay for a good suit and good buying experience but money is still a consideration. Finally, I live in downtown Toronto and would prefer not to have to go out to the suburbs, but I can if need be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bigger guy (6'3 270), and I'm still new to the menswear scene but trying to up my style game and build a wardrobe. I've got a good range of shirts from some of the online custom places (really happy with Luxire in particular) but I have a bunch of weddings to attend this summer and I'm thinking it's time for a good custom suit.

My last couple suits were from some of the more affordable MTM places and I absolutely hated the experience: a junior sales associate writing down a few adjustments to a generic slim-fit/low-rise pattern while seeming visibly disgusted at having to be around someone with my body. And the results were (predictably) uncomfortable and unflattering. It feels like it should be possible to buy a suit that is designed for my body type from someone who will take the time to help me understand what I need, but I don't know where to go for this and am hoping people on here can point me in the right direction. It would also be good to know what kind of financial outlay I can expect--I'm willing to pay for a good suit and good buying experience but money is still a consideration. Finally, I live in downtown Toronto and would prefer not to have to go out to the suburbs, but I can if need be.

Harry Rosen. Either Samuelsohn, or their Harold program.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

There is no suit made for someone with your body.

Talk to @induere_to he doesn't have any junior sales associate working for him as far as I know.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you expand on this? Do you mean OTR (in which case: yeah, obviously, I know), or are you saying MTM is also going to be a waste of my time/money and I just need to suck it up and get something bespoke?
Roughly what OTR sizes do you wear?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no suit made for someone with your body.

Talk to @induere_to he doesn't have any junior sales associate working for him as far as I know.

That’s not very helpful advice - not everyone can afford bespoke.

The one concession I will make is that if you go the MTM route, make sure you deal with somebody experienced. Also, based on experience, a larger retailer like Harry’s has more flex to refund you, or make it right in some other way, if the commission isn’t to your liking.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
Can also confirm S&M do alter other brands. Do you mean they don't do surgeon cuffs/working buttons? They do still shorten sleeves I believe. Which Stitch It did you go to and how was the experience? Thanks.
No I meant was my suit had unfinished sleeves. The jacket sleeves did not have the button holes and buttons cut and sewn on yet. I ended up going to Classical and Modern Tailoring by Port Credit. Will report back when the suit is back.

simpliciter

Reaction score
Roughly what OTR sizes do you wear?
I think I am about a 56 suit size, but oddly proportioned (broad shoulders, narrow hips, short arms/legs). Generally between a 2XLT and a 3XL shirt depending on the brand (neck 19.5, sleeve 35ish). Pants are 42/32 or 44/32.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one concession I will make is that if you go the MTM route, make sure you deal with somebody experienced. Also, based on experience, a larger retailer like Harry’s has more flex to refund you, or make it right in some other way, if the commission isn’t to your liking.

Last I checked @induere_to does MTM but from the sound of his own decription of his body shape not even sure MTM will work on him...

Sometimes you just have to call spade a spade. I've wasted my fair share of money getting suits that don't fit me for a long time.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some here thinks Harry Rosen is the only place in town that does it all! From beating drums of sales or outlet markdowns to made to measure program that Harry Rosen offers!

Is there any life outside HR? I have made to measure clothes made in China now from the days of wearing labels and shopping at HR!

There is a world outside that store! For many that do care for fit before anything! Munro is not HR they make clothes for many others.

Who takes measurements these days? Someone who has a tape measure is compared to people who actually make clothes, alter clothes, cut and stitch clothes?

Last but not least Munro aint cheap!!

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen two suits one Canali and one Harold all tailored that were one of the worst fitted suits at 3k each!

Sitting at a real tailors shop and they did not even bother to fix them saying they are custom!

The guy had breathing problems thats how tight they are!

Let it go man... that is not the best place to visit for made to measure!

Cost more than bespoke @induere_to.

induere_to

Reaction score
My bookings are closed for the time being, so I'm definitely not trying to sell anything here.

But, please, whatever you do. Do NOT spend a single dollar on Harold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads