• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb 'City II' vs. Edward Green 'Chelsea'

Sonny58

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my black captoes and am considering these two shoes. I already have the Chelsea in brown and like it a lot. Don't have any John Lobbs though. I am leaning toward the City II at the moment because the styling looks a little simpler and more classic but the Forum always has interesting thoughts on matters such as this which I value a lot.

Chelsea:

City II:

Thanks kindly in advance.

Sonny58

Reaction score
That is a good point. I have the Chelsea in the 202 and am fairly happy with it in terms of fit. Haven't tried the 82 or 888 though. Is there much of a stylistic difference between these lasts or is it mostly in the fit?

Last edited:

forseti6

Reaction score
I have a pair of Chelseas in the 82 last. Quite comfortable. I think the difference between the 888 and the 82 is the 82 is a little rounder, while the 888 is a tad more square. They fit fairly similarly as far as I could tell.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the G&G, that what all the kool kids are wearing.

Dib

Reaction score
Obviously a lot will depend on which lasts fit you better, but assuming both brands fit you equally as well I would personally opt for the EG.

I have the EG Chelsea in dark oak on the 82 last and love them - they are sleek, simple, classic and elegant. To my eye, the perfect oxfords. I will need to get a pair in black at some point too.

In terms of the EG lasts, the 82 is a round toe like the 202 but a little sleeker. The 888 is square toed (personally, i think a round toe like the 202 or 82 will look better on an oxford).

This will be at odds with the views of many forum members, but I have never really taken to the Lobb City II. Whilst I am sure the Lobb's are of high quality, the leather, detailing and build quality of the EG's feels so much nicer to me.

I recall someone started a thread a while back stating that spending a lot on high-end plain black shoes was a waste of money - I couldn't disagree more. To me, a simple, sleek pair of high quality black oxfords that will provide many years of use (and will look great once heavily worn and then polished) are close to perfection!

mzmart

Reaction score
I have both and can detect no real difference in quality. But the JL 7000 (size 9) is way way more comfortable than the EG 82 (9.5). I have relatively narrow feet with a high instep.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obviously a lot will depend on which lasts fit you better, but assuming both brands fit you equally as well I would personally opt for the EG.

Its all about fit !! Personally the EG for me.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sonny58

Reaction score
Do any of you find the swan's neck stitching on the upper part of the Chelsea to be a little too stylistic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads