• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Largest ready-to-wear suit brand review (44 brands) by Parisian Gentleman [Updated]

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're pushing M&S a bit hard, Kingstonian. What's your angle here?

Last edited:

Mooreman

Reaction score
Really well written and useful article - and the update is great too, keep them coming! Would be interested in opinions on Gieves & Hawkes and Dunhill RTW too

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No angle. If you are in the UK you know it's market position.

Other reviewers mention it - such as Thomas Mahon English Cut.

http://www.englishcut.com/2005/07/28/what-if-you-only-have-200/

I know but didn't think the purpose of this exercise was market position.
M&S suits aren't good quality (my tailor says their cut and construction quality are terrible) and at full retail aren't even particularly cheap.
I think if the purpose of this review is to help people decide on a suit in their budget its best not to clog it up with reviews of makers best avoided. Just my 2c

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know but didn't think the purpose of this exercise was market position.
M&S suits aren't good quality (my tailor says their cut and construction quality are terrible) and at full retail aren't even particularly cheap.
I think if the purpose of this review is to help people decide on a suit in their budget its best not to clog it up with reviews of makers best avoided. Just my 2c

Mahon says otherwise.

Put it this way, I do not use Lewin for shirts still less suits. M&S quality on other clothing has dropped. However, a review of their suits would be useful for many - regardless of whether or not you buy them.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mahon says otherwise.

Put it this way, I do not use Lewin for shirts still less suits. M&S quality on other clothing has dropped. However, a review of their suits would be useful for many - regardless of whether or not you buy them.

Fair enough. It could mention how you can go to their outlets and pick up a full suit for £60. That would be useful I suppose

dirnelli

Reaction score
Here's two more cents from one of the authors:

I agree that Marks & Spencer could be reviewed, although I won't write it, because many people go to buy their first business suits there, and ought to know what they're getting into from a tailoring standpoint. And to be fair, I've noticed some pretty striking fabric choices in some of the Marks & Spencer collections, that's noteworthy.

In that spirit, I sent PG two more reviews from the same range: Zara & Massimo Dutti. We'll see if and when that ever gets published.

Lastly, I do believe I have two trousers from Wensum, in VBC S120's, picked up for a song at a local tailor who had run a short RTW series of basics for his shop. I seem to recall him saying that it was made down in Madagascar or Mauritius or something. Whatever the case may be, those two pairs of trousers are fantastic, especially given lowball price I paid.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lastly, I do believe I have two trousers from Wensum, in VBC S120's, picked up for a song at a local tailor who had run a short RTW series of basics for his shop. I seem to recall him saying that it was made down in Madagascar or Mauritius or something. Whatever the case may be, those two pairs of trousers are fantastic, especially given lowball price I paid.

Wensum was one of the last UK manufacturers of RTW. They moved production to Mauritius / China, but there is talk of a return to UK production. I believe Ede and Ravenscroft RTW is made by Wensum.

http://www.drapersonline.com/news/wensum-looks-into-return-to-uk-manufacturing/5052932.article

http://www.just-style.com/analysis/tailoring-trends-from-savile-row-to-mass-market_id112570.aspx

Last edited:

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
The original text says "Florentine" (and believe me we know Firenze quite well :)) but the version Paul copied here can't be changed...

Hugo, the original version pasted here and your site said neapolitan that's why I highlighted it. Sure it was a slip up and everybody makes them. So not to take away from the awesome write up let's just keep this moving...

Do consider Cantarelli, LBM, D'avenza in your next review. Cheers

I actually changed it immediately after it was mentioned. People just forgot to refer themselves to the amended version and only took the comment into account.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wensum was one of the last UK manufacturers of RTW. They moved production to Mauritius / China, but there is talk of a return to UK production. I believe Ede and Ravenscroft RTW is made by Wensum.

http://www.drapersonline.com/news/wensum-looks-into-return-to-uk-manufacturing/5052932.article

http://www.just-style.com/analysis/tailoring-trends-from-savile-row-to-mass-market_id112570.aspx

Wensum also provide MTM programs for quite a few Savile Row tailoring forms as well, both under the Bladen name (Benson & Clegg I know use them for their MTM program) as well as under the name of the original tailoring firms (who are of course much less reluctant to state that officially). AFAIK they only do half-canvass MTM or at least they did the last time I inquired about it but might have separate deals with specific forms.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:

Whoops... that would likely be because I own all of the stock...
shog[1].gif

Dr Nemo

Reaction score
Great review, and much appreciated.
These are the kinds of insights that make SF such an enjoyable and worthwhile venture.
Thanks!

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great read

would like to see reviews on LBM and Cantarelli

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic thread .. I took some time to choose my next suit from the list of manufactures, and apparently Pal Zileri which is marked here as a good stuff only with wrong marketing has one dark blue suit on sale.

What do you think?

As I understood - it is canvased, no ugly glue and a price I could get it for is down from $1,850 to $1,100 ...

Is it worth it?

I have some nice Dark Oak Oxfords for this suit, but do you think I could get away with black Oxfords too? Or this specific shade of blue is too dark to take the Black shoes?

Thanks in advance ..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads