• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Started with Doc Martens, back to Doc Martens...

Reaction score
back in University days, like many people I was an admirer of Doc Martens, they are just cool. This interest carried through to my first few jobs. I also grew a large interest in watches. Also when I graduated, I fell in love with a pair of RM Williams in the window and was fascinated with the visible nails in the sole, a sign of uber coolness I had never seen in other shoes before. Between now and then, I did not really buy any shoes that would be considered "really good" - I bought a Caterpiller boot, a few Timberlands - that's it really.

Fast forward to today, last year to be exact, and I began to grow an interest again in boots. I was fed up with compromising on shoes because I have US E width feet (wide), and so I was used to buying shoes 1 size bigger to accommodate. I actually didn't even know there was such a thing as wide sized shoes, after how many decades of life!! So when somehow I discovered there was such a thing as wide sized shoes, I went on a shoe buying spree and replaced all my shoes with wide fitting ones, as well as buying more boots (onto that soon).

Of course, as many people do when researching about shoes, you end up finding Rose Anvil and then discovering the wonderful world of heritage boots. Having previously fallen in love and having never forgotten those fancy RM Williams that I never got, I eagerly lapped up all the learnings from Rose Anvil. Currently I have over 10 pairs of goodyear welted boots, including brands from: Thursday Boots, Grant Stone (of course), Georgia Giant, Jim Green, Fracap, Ariat, and Tecovas.

But.. (and here we circle back to Doc Martens), we just passed through winter, and I don't like wearing nice leather shoes in the snowy salty slush, and I was sick of wearing my ugly rubberized winter boots, so I decided to get a pair of vegan Doc Marten chelseas. I thought it was perfect for quick trips where I could wear something dressier and just wash off any salt that got on them. It worked out well.

And then last week I just bought 2 more Doc Martens: another red plastic 1460, and a cherry red leather 1460. I have always loved the Cherry red color. So here's my point: since I have been into watches for over 30 years, I will give my analogy: Grant Stone boots (for example) are like Rolex or Omega or Breitling and Doc Martens are like Casio G-Shock. There is room in a collection for both. Yes the Doc Martens leather won't last a lifetime, nor is it resolable - just like a G-shock is not an heirloom watch; but so what? They are still fun and still have their place.

I like to wear Doc Martens when I feel like making a statement but I'm not going to be wearing it for the whole day, for example - for a short outing. If I have to wear shoes for the whole day, I'll wear "real" boots. But there are just times when I feel like having fun, and those Doc Martens just evoke feelings that can't be matched by any other shoe. If you wear them for the odd occasion like I intend to, then they will last a lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads