• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some folks suggested we combine the non specific drink threads. Maybe try this. I really like Pio, Gomestar, Pand, Huntsman, et als red wine comments/suggestions. If it works, maybe we can get it stuck. If not, we still have the other two threads. FWIW.
smile.gif

Cheers. And have fun.

To begin, I get to open an Xmas gift from my wife tomorrow on our 25th Anniversary. I'll let you know how it is. Supposed to be No. 2 after Grange. Very excited to taste this famous Shiraz.

If the thread continues, I'll post up some photos from our recent trip to Napa/Sonoma/Monterey.

1228204176076_l.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oregon Pinots are starting to pick up steam here in Toronto after the Peoples Republic of the LCBO began to promote them. I know they are highly regarded in the US. We tried a Sarah Powell. My wife enjoyed it, but for me it had a little too much 'earth'. A little cloudy, etc. Moo! 88/100 After watching a WS vid, I purchased a 2006 Maysara Jamsheed Pinot Noir. It made me very happy. Very enjoyable. Had a specific 'Oregon' philosophy (whatever that means -- they are just different from Burgundies and CA Pinots) but lots of complexity. In my newb marking system, I'd call it 91/100. I decanted for two hours. Cheers, a.
07_07-59.jpg

untilted

Reaction score
im a wine newbie.

i like this a lot:

200272.bmp

also liked this:

thumb-Conde-de-Valdemar-Reserva-2.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread Audio!!! Yeah I'm a n00b as well and love it! For the past 8 months of so I've really delved into the enjoyment and study of wine. My primary focus has been on Spanish and South American offerings such as the below.

I'll x-post this:

Had this little bottle over the weekend. It's a new addition to my wine store's offerings and was a nominal $10! It's a 100% old vine Garnacha from the Calatayud DO of Spain. At first open there is a very strong aroma of lemon grass but once it had tome to breathe it really opened up into a fruity and floral bouquet that only hinted at the lush and bright berry flavours, warm tannins and earthy minerality. I will certainly buy this one again and try a proper decanting.

evodia.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make a difference? I use Spiegelau exclusively. Good price compared to Reidel. Have Bordeaux, Burgundy and Port glasses. Our guests seem to like them very much. Great feel and look fabuous. And the bell sound on 'cheers' is lovely. FYI, I do not like the stemless wine glasses.
frown.gif
Spiegelau Authentis Burgundy
3691.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Some folks suggested we combine the non specific drink threads. Maybe try this. I really like Pio, Gomestar, Pand, Huntsman, et als red wine comments/suggestions. If it works, maybe we can get it stuck. If not, we still have the other two threads. FWIW.
smile.gif
Cheers. And have fun. To begin, I get to open an Xmas gift from my wife tomorrow on our 25th Anniversary. I'll let you know how it is. Supposed to be No. 2 after Grange. Very excited to taste this famous Shiraz. If the thread continues, I'll post up some photos from our recent trip to Napa/Sonoma/Monterey.

Nice anniversary gift. And Congratulations! What year is the wine?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Many thanks.

36 hours to taste! <drool>

smile.gif

Just my opinion, offered for free, so take it for what it's worth.

Do not drink that wine now.

You will be doing it a huge dis-service. Let me tell you the story about the origins of Penfolds. The first few vintages were deemed horrible. So bad, the owner told the wine maker not to make them anymore, as it was hurting the Pensfold brand. Then, when the vintages had matured some, they came into their own. In fact, they were fabulous, after they were aged. Luckily, the wine maker did not listen, and made vintages in secret. This is a 100% true story.

So again, take my advice for what you paid for it, but IMO, you are about to commit vinfanticide on a $300 bottle of wine.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just my opinion, offered for free, so take it for what it's worth. Do not drink that wine now. You will be doing it a huge dis-service. Let me tell you the story about the origins of Penfolds. The first few vintages were deemed horrible. So bad, the owner told the wine maker not to make them anymore, as it was hurting the Pensfold brand. Then, when the vintages had matured some, they came into their own. In fact, they were fabulous, after they were aged. Luckily, the wine maker did not listen, and made vintages in secret. This is a 100% true story. So again, take my advice for what you paid for it, but IMO, you are about to commit vinfanticide on a $300 bottle of wine.
Thanks Pio. Your opinions are always much appreciated. Couple of questions. Age how long? What RWT vintages have you tasted? Cheers, a

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks Pio. Your opinions are always much appreciated.

Couple of questions. Age how long? What RWT vintages have you tasted? Cheers, a

I've already said more than I wanted to; just felt I owed that bottle of wine a comment.

I also see I made a reading mistake, I thought it was a Grange. An '05 RWT should still sit a few more years, and I bet that thing doesn't peak until somewhere in the 2020s. Forget I posted though and congrats on 25 years.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've already said more than I wanted to; just felt I owed that bottle of wine a comment.

?? wtf ??

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
?? wtf ??

Not sure why the "wtf."

I made a mistake on the wine, thought it was a Grange (bigger wine), and thought I'd toss a plea out. I see it was the lesser wine now, which will be approachable sooner. I just need to learn to keep my mouth shut in offering opinions on wines and booze.

Dburr

Reaction score
smile.gif
Cheers. And have fun. To begin, I get to open an Xmas gift from my wife tomorrow on our 25th Anniversary. I'll let you know how it is. Supposed to be No. 2 after Grange. Very excited to taste this famous Shiraz. If the thread continues, I'll post up some photos from our recent trip to Napa/Sonoma/Monterey.
1228204176076_l.jpg

If it's Shiraz you're after, try Pikkah from mcClaren Vale. Decant for an hour or two to let it open up. It'll roll your socks up and down. Extremely hard to find - a little north or south of $30. Best kept secret in the Shiraz world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads