1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

tonight was a nero d'alvola. Usually a top pick for a great weekday wine, the choice is made easier by having a Sicilian girlfriend here.

Unfortunately, this wine didn't seem very Italian. Huge berry jam on the nose, but not much else. Same thing on the palate, it just didn't have that "it" factor for Italian reds, no terroire. Just some fruit and then a weak finish. A shame, first so-so bottle of nero d'alvola I've had in a long time.

The caponata, however, was splendid.

3. killua

killua Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm a small timer for red wine, but Penfolds has always been my favourite winery. I go for the BIN 369 though, and I don't think anything much higher is worth it for me. Can't wait till the time I manage to get to their winery in Coonawarra on my mission finding the best Cab Sav in Australia.

BTW most recent purchase was a dozen of the Taminick 2005 premium Shiraz. Remind me in 5 years to let you all know how it tastes.
    [​IMG]

4. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

See the Robinson youtube videos here

Cheers for the link. They are excellent.

I gave your buddy another shot since it's been a year or two. Holy shit, he got worse! LOL 'I get some iHop blueberry syrup on the nose'!!! WTF! LOL

[​IMG]

5. audiophilia

I'm a small timer for red wine, but Penfolds has always been my favourite winery. I go for the BIN 369 though, and I don't think anything much higher is worth it for me. Can't wait till the time I manage to get to their winery in Coonawarra on my mission finding the best Cab Sav in Australia. BTW most recent purchase was a dozen of the Taminick 2005 premium Shiraz. Remind me in 5 years to let you all know how it tastes.
    My favourite CAD$20.00 Shiraz anywhere is [​IMG] Only three dollars more and in a different universe than their entry level Koonunga Shiraz (a fruit bomb with no character). [​IMG]

6. audiophilia

Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.

[​IMG]

7. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.

[​IMG]

Looks tastey. Is that a Burgundy red?

*he asks, trying to sound like he knows what the hell he's talking about*

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

which reminds me, Gigondas will have a bit more oomph than a similar CdP, be sure to decant that for a few hours.

10. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Rhone

Ahhh! Cheers! I really liked the Clos du Mont-Olivet, Font de Blanche a friend gave me a while back. It was a very warm and well rounded pour!

[​IMG]

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.

13. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.

Well I did a quick google and this is what I came up with, which pretty much sums it really:

It's a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre, which also explains why I liked it so much as it has two of my favourite varitals in it.

14. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.

Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99

Ooops Tomorrow is Friday so the tasting is 4 to 7...my bad...I'm usually around for the Saturday tasting.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites. [​IMG] JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway. [​IMG]

17. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites. [​IMG] JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway. [​IMG]

Remember to talk to Candy. She spent several years in Spain. She'll hook you up!

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

in all likelyhood, the name of the vineyard is "'Font de Blanche", an interesting label for a Rhone wine. Usually I associate the Burgundies with labeling the vineyard (ex: Vosne-Romanee, La Romanee). Sounds nice for sub-$20, I've always ranked CdR high in the value plays.

19. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I don't really know much about wine, but I had this bottle and enjoyed it over the weekend. 2003 Silverado Cab [​IMG]

20. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

I don't like the style of Grange or the other big Penfolds wines, which I think are overpriced and over rated. I certainly would not knowingly drink wine that has tannin (and who knows what other chemicals) added to it. There are much better shiraz and shiraz blends available for a better price.