• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the sandpaper on jeans thing has always been done by "denim nerds" to speed up their fading/patina to make them look more worn than they really are. problem is it gives an unnatural looking fade to your jeans.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrBassie
Yeah, post what you think of them.
got the Brooks Bros "staprest" (aka milano fit chino) yesterday. Did the 2 for $149 deal in dark taupe and stone. Colors are great, stone is exactly what you'd think it is, an off white slate color. The dark taupe is like a desaturated greyish brown, really nice and almost same color as my Manufacture staprest I got in paris which are nearing their end so good to have a replacement. These are def not "chinos" in the traditional sense even tho they are called that. Classic chinos never hold their crease and crinkle easily with a relaxed fit. Fit is really good, esp for Brooks which is known for loose clothes. A true slimfit, waist measures 1" larger than tag for sizing reference. 8" across bottom so slim but not too narrow. Fit thru hip and thigh is good, no bagginess. Cloth is a heavy cotton and all reviews I've read is that it really keeps its crease even after multiple wash. Overall very happy with them and will look smart with brogues/smooths and the right shirt.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Bros has been making a lot of updates to their clothing which should be very skinhead friendly. GS already mentioned their Milano fit chinos, but their Extra-Slim fit button-down collared shirts are great as well. Perfect fit and a nice big collar.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
got the Brooks Bros "staprest" (aka milano fit chino) yesterday. Did the 2 for $149 deal in dark taupe and stone. Colors are great, stone is exactly what you'd think it is, an off white slate color. The dark taupe is like a desaturated greyish brown, really nice and almost same color as my Manufacture staprest I got in paris which are nearing their end so good to have a replacement.

These are def not "chinos" in the traditional sense even tho they are called that. Classic chinos never hold their crease and crinkle easily with a relaxed fit.

Fit is really good, esp for Brooks which is known for loose clothes. A true slimfit, waist measures 1" larger than tag for sizing reference. 8" across bottom so slim but not too narrow. Fit thru hip and thigh is good, no bagginess. Cloth is a heavy cotton and all reviews I've read is that it really keeps its crease even after multiple wash. Overall very happy with them and will look smart with brogues/smooths and the right shirt.

I am gonna pop into Brook Bros Regent St to have a look at them Jason, They sound brill
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
I am gonna pop into Brook Bros Regent St to have a look at them Jason, They sound brill
smile.gif

It's a pity I'm not getting down to the Smoke this year. I would have liked to have tried on a pair.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
unfotunately for you London boys, the prices seem dramatically higher than stateside. Last time I was in Brooks on Regent St it seemed they just replaced the $ sign on price with a pound sign. So a $60 shirt was 60 quid(!!!)

but if you try them on and like the fit, take note of your size and I can always proxy them for you if you want to save a few $. But maybe they've adjusted their prices to be same as stateside....?

will shoot a pic early next week, having my tailor shorten them 1" which will be perfect length I like

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfotunately for you London boys, the prices seem dramatically higher than stateside. Last time I was in Brooks on Regent St it seemed they just replaced the $ sign on price with a pound sign. So a $60 shirt was 60 quid(!!!)

but if you try them on and like the fit, take note of your size and I can always proxy them for you if you want to save a few $. But maybe they've adjusted their prices to be same as stateside....?

will shoot a pic early next week, having my tailor shorten them 1" which will be perfect length I like

Still the same Jason, I think they are £85, same as Ralph Lauren, say a shirt, $80 Stateside £80 London.
In saying that i found European labels are more expensive in the USA.

DrBassie

Reaction score
got the Brooks Bros "staprest" (aka milano fit chino) yesterday. Did the 2 for $149 deal in dark taupe and stone. Colors are great, stone is exactly what you'd think it is, an off white slate color. The dark taupe is like a desaturated greyish brown, really nice and almost same color as my Manufacture staprest I got in paris which are nearing their end so good to have a replacement.

These are def not "chinos" in the traditional sense even tho they are called that. Classic chinos never hold their crease and crinkle easily with a relaxed fit.

Fit is really good, esp for Brooks which is known for loose clothes. A true slimfit, waist measures 1" larger than tag for sizing reference. 8" across bottom so slim but not too narrow. Fit thru hip and thigh is good, no bagginess. Cloth is a heavy cotton and all reviews I've read is that it really keeps its crease even after multiple wash. Overall very happy with them and will look smart with brogues/smooths and the right shirt.

Thanks for the update. Some of the reviews were saying the rise is too low. It doesn't look like it in the pictures.....what say you?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrBassie
Thanks for the update. Some of the reviews were saying the rise is too low. It doesn't look like it in the pictures.....what say you?

Not having measured it, I'd guess the rise to be 10.5" which is a good length for someone around 5'8 - 6', but over 6' it will def feel low, so yea that's something to keep in mind if yer tall

OHT

Reaction score
Just thought this might be of interest. I found this video on YT and they want photos for a photo book they plan to put out:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
Just thought this might be of interest. I found this video on YT and they want photos for a photo book they plan to put out:

Righteous! They seem to have exactly the same idea we had a couple of days ago.

I'm up for this, if no one objects or thinks we still ought to do our own project, and am prepared to send them my old pics.

They don't give contact details, though.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery

I'm up for this, if no one objects or thinks we still ought to do our own project, and am prepared to send them my old pics.

I'm pretty sure you can contact them from YT. It also said at the end of the video that you can contact them from their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/unifiedpride

It would definitely be kewl if you guys got the chance to do this. I would say it'll save you the hassle. They also want skinheads of today and are aiming to get 200+ photos from skins around 25+ countries. I might just try to get in on it,hehe
happy.gif
biggrin.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery

We were always ahead of the Game!Should be interesting.
satisfied.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
I'm pretty sure you can contact them from YT. It also said at the end of the video that you can contact them from their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/unifiedpride
hmmm....I wonder if this is the same "organization" that put out the dvd who's cover is the image on their profile
161588_100001394852287_2469016_n.jpg
I do think there's some irony to the "no politics" slogan alongside the Trojan records logo and Mod RAF target....i mean, that's pretty political in itself in its implications since the first thing you're going to think is they are sympathetic to SHARP and AFA. I got that dvd from someone and it's pretty bad. The intentions are good and all, but other than about 5 minutes on a 90 minute feature it falls pretty short. Too much emphasis on Sab Grey, and considering he hasnt been a skinhead in so long and was barely one to begin with, he sure talks like he's some kind of spokesperson for the scene. The interview with Jimmy Gestapo from Murphy's Law is even worse....he goes on to talk **** about skinheads who dress smart and say that "real skinheads" should be wearing grubby jeans and tshirts(!!!!) Unfortunately many of these skin documentaries are made by *us* (Americans) and while I applaud their intent, the end result always seems to set us back, in terms of making us look like a bunch of muppets to everyone else. the best skinhead feature I've seen is probably the Sounds of Underground London episode on skinhead. and World of Skinhead wasn't bad either, overall but if that book ever comes out I'll def get a copy. Ultimately it's cool they are trying to do stuff for the scene, I would just hope that their editting process lends to making a good product that withstands the test of time

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another statement/question for originals....

whenever someone puts a youtube video with original skinheads there is always a manufactured soundtrack of skinhead reggae that the author chose...

so when you see kids dancing in a club in late 60s, I wonder what they were REALLY dancing to? especially in the earlier days of skinhead/hard mod pre-69, wouldnt the music have been mostly soul/motown?

for me, it took a long time to really get into skinhead reggae even tho when I was young I knew that was what I was "supposed" to be into (but preferred 2 tone, oi and soul), but other than a few tracks I couldnt get into it. Over time I've developed a liking to a lot of skinhead reggae but much prefer soul sets at club nites, unless it's Jim Cox's Reggae Train dj set who I've had the pleasure of being at a couple times, and he plays skinhead reggae songs that all make you want to dance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamronshah