• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

SF Family:
Sam Hober
Kent Wang
Unipair

With regards to the picture discussion:
I have the full set up, though I think I only bought the remote (10 bucks) for the purposes of SF. DSLR and nice tripod I had before I started getting really into taking pictures of what I wear. The pictures would be better if I could go outside; I'd get nice depth of field and better lighting. But generally that is too much of a hassle and embarrassing to boot, even if I do go out behind my apartment (as I have occasionally done for Friday Challenges). Still, having a good camera makes the process a bit more fun yet also frustrating. Just as there is a lot that can go right with a dslr over a point and shoot or iPhone, there is a lot more that could go wrong as well. But you can play around with the iso, f-stop, etc etc and get things like richer colors, depth of field (switched to a different lens recently; between my wife and I, we have around 10k worth of lenses...which isn't much as far as real photography buffs go....NOBD), better interplay between shadows...lots of fun stuff. I'm a generally bad photographer, and the lighting in our place is pretty bad. The above picture is from two standard windows, one about 15 feet in front of me and the other about 18 feet to my left. Neither window really produces much light when I generally take my pictures, especially as both face other buildings.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was told to dress nicely for lunch. I assumed this meant "dress nicely for you;" actually, it was just "dress nicely by everyone else's standards" i.e. wear a tie. Why else would someone tell me to dress nicely in full knowledge that I always dress nicely? Anyway, it was a wet lunch, so it didn't matter.

Plus. Linen. Everything is ok when you've got linen in your suit.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SF Family: Sam Hober Kent Wang Unipair With regards to the picture discussion:
I have the full set up, though I think I only bought the remote (10 bucks) for the purposes of SF. DSLR and nice tripod I had before I started getting really into taking pictures of what I wear. The pictures would be better if I could go outside; I'd get nice depth of field and better lighting. But generally that is too much of a hassle and embarrassing to boot, even if I do go out behind my apartment (as I have occasionally done for Friday Challenges). Still, having a good camera makes the process a bit more fun yet also frustrating. Just as there is a lot that can go right with a dslr over a point and shoot or iPhone, there is a lot more that could go wrong as well. But you can play around with the iso, f-stop, etc etc and get things like richer colors, depth of field (switched to a different lens recently; between my wife and I, we have around 10k worth of lenses...which isn't much as far as real photography buffs go....NOBD), better interplay between shadows...lots of fun stuff. I'm a generally bad photographer, and the lighting in our place is pretty bad. The above picture is from two standard windows, one about 15 feet in front of me and the other about 18 feet to my left. Neither window really produces much light when I generally take my pictures, especially as both face other buildings.
Holds up in comparison to this:
No small feat, Clags. :slayer: Also, every time I use the DSLR for full-length pics, I go back to the iPhone. Too many variables, and with no remote, I have to take multiple pics to zero in on focus. Throw in f-stop, etc., and the phone wins out. The DSLR is great for "selfie" style pics, though.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Quilt" is Noodle-thread-speak for "quit." Get with the program.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Why? Don't you like it?

No, it's nasty. When you were here a while back, you were evolving hideous python experiments into some really excellent new bespoke shoes. The lasts were better, the waists were pretty, the toe shape elegant, and most of all, you had eschewed the ugly novelty skins for something inherently pretty. This was a good thing.

You are a character who likes to make a statement, be individual, have a little novelty in how he looks. I sympathise - me too, a lot of the time. But novelty only works when it has a canvas of orthodoxy against which it can stand out. Holdfast's tie, for instance, I loathe personally (something about novelty ties makes me think of dodgy estate agents and office perverts), but that aside, he's put it against the backdrop of a conservative business suit and shirt. In your case, you have a tendency to try to fit all your quirks, jokes and imaginative ideas into one place. I get it, I've even been guilty of it, but hold back: it's like that old SF adage that you need to observe the rules before you break them.

And I say, break them just one at a time. If I'm wearing a quirky purple bow tie today, or an especially loud jacket, I probably don't need to wear my favourite raspberry socks. If I'm wearing bold spectator shoes, I might choose a staid burgundy instead of the lime green knit for my tie. Sometimes my love of eccentricity gets the better of me still, no doubt, and like HF's tie, I'm sure I have many elements that even in isolation, others don't like (spectator shoes are enough for some!). But try it as a rule: paint yourself a conservative look that is clean and unchallenging, before you add your one or two elements of "individuality". But FYI, I think scaly python is inherently ******* horrible to look at. I don't think, in the realms of classic menswear, it can be integrated even as an extreme idiosyncrasy. I don't like the badge either, regardless of origin - a bit River Island.

Anyway, I'm actually very happy to see you back. Your evolving shoe developments were awesome. Now try applying some of those principles to the rest - you've got the tools for the job.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF Family:
Sam Hober
Kent Wang
Unipair

With regards to the picture discussion:

I actually really wanted to get a 3 piece in that shade of blue and just about got over it, now you're making me want to get it again. Gahhhghgh.

Was thinking cotton instead, though.

I should really get a tripod. Right now I basically have to beg and dig my partner from their PhD work 10 minutes before my taxi arrive to get photos taken.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I actually really wanted to get a 3 piece in that shade of blue and just about got over it, now you're making me want to get it again. Gahhhghgh.

Was thinking cotton instead, though.

If you like that you've a good eye Iso :nodding:

Something to ponder on though...

If it ain't broken why fix it!

Clags there is top of the shop :slayer:

Last edited:

eviltimeban

Reaction score
Isolation I like the approach but the sleeves look very creased - forgive me, but is it the material perhaps? I like the colour and it goes well with the tie. Personally I would go for a wider collar spread, and I think perhaps a light blue shirt would balance everything nicely.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah most of my shirts are spread or medium spread now, I actually really don't like the collar either. I just really like white shirts though, I thought it works okay with blue tie and brown jacket since it brings out enough contrast without being too stark, what do you think? I could go for cream otherwise but I think I prefer white.

I don't know what's with this suit, it creases a lot more than my tan one, perhaps it's just the material indeed.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually really wanted to get a 3 piece in that shade of blue and just about got over it, now you're making me want to get it again. Gahhhghgh. Was thinking cotton instead, though.
I should really get a tripod. Right now I basically have to beg and dig my partner from their PhD work 10 minutes before my taxi arrive to get photos taken.
I like the look if this suit and the creasing comes with wearing linen - either you roll with it or just stop wearing it. What would really have pushed this in to truly awesome territory, however, would have been a black grenadine instead of a navy. That would have been a 10 out of 10 fit...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads