• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PITTI UOMO 86, DAY 2: THE LAND OF THE LOTUS EATERS

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With good pasta, there should be just enough sauce to coat the noodles lightly (like dressing on a salad). In either case, you don't want to see pools of sauce or dressing at the bottom of the plate. :foo:
Actually, I think other Italians sneer at Florentine food because it's under-seasoned and not terribly interesting. They don't even salt their bread. Aside from bistecca, some salumi and some good olive oils, most of the best food there is borrowed from other areas (grossly overstated, of course). and I know this is your barroom LA Guy, but I hope i can get a noodle visa occasionally.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More importantly, is florentine food in particular associated with "plenty?" It's the only place I've ever been in Italy, and I don't think I could survive more than four days eating this much. I am back at Cippola Rossa to try more pasta. We'll see about the sauce.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More importantly, is florentine food in particular associated with "plenty?" It's the only place I've ever been in Italy, and idknt think I could survive more than four days eating this much. I am back at cippola rossa to try more pasta. We'll see about the sauce.

Florence is diet food compared to Bologna. Seriously. Man Up!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With good pasta, there should be just enough sauce to coat the noodles lightly (like dressing on a salad). In either case, you don't want to see pools of sauce or dressing at the bottom of the plate.
foo.gif

Actually, I think other Italians sneer at Florentine food because it's under-seasoned and not terribly interesting. They don't even salt their bread. Aside from bistecca, some salumi and some good olive oils, most of the best food there is borrowed from other areas (grossly overstated, of course). and I know this is your barroom LA Guy, but I hope i can get a noodle visa occasionally.
We should absolutely do something like that. I have no idea what the story would be, but it would be fun. You can only buy so much clothing, but you have to eat at least 3 times a day, despite what the fitness fascists say.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We should absolutely do something like that.  I have no idea what the story would be, but it would be fun.  You can only buy so much clothing, but you have to eat at least 3 times a day, despite what the fitness fascists say.

they will die beautiful, but unhappy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they will die beautiful, but unhappy.
The gym owner of the gym I go to tried to convince be that some gluten and fat free pancakes that she'd made for a snack tasted "okay, not bad."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More importantly, is florentine food in particular associated with "plenty?" It's the only place I've ever been in Italy, and idknt think I could survive more than four days eating this much. I am back at cippola rossa to try more pasta. We'll see about the sauce.
Florence is diet food compared to Bologna. Seriously. Man Up!

Indeed. @Synthese , it's hard to fathom what it must be like to eat pasta once every six months. If you show some dedication to the proper eating of carbs, fat, and salt, I'll consider taking you on the food "reporting" trip.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed.  @Synthese
, it's hard to fathom what it must be like to eat pasta once every six months.  If you show some dedication to the proper eating of carbs, fat, and salt, I'll consider taking you on the food "reporting" trip.

in fairness, that's about as often as i wear a pocket square.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, @Synthese , if you need some food for the soul, and are still in Florence, eat here: http://www.trattoria-armando.com/. Slightly off the beaten track. Really delicious. I would challenge even @foodguy to find their risotto at fault. And it's good, solid, cooking. No insane and unncessary plating or formality.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Indeed.  @Synthese
, it's hard to fathom what it must be like to eat pasta once every six months.  If you show some dedication to the proper eating of carbs, fat, and salt, I'll consider taking you on the food "reporting" trip.
I never grew up with it, is the thing, and never had a taste for, you know, over-boiled Safeway brands. And now that I've had decent pasta in makes it harder to want to try it in a place where I've never had much luck with pasta. You want to talk fat, salt and carbs, though; I am always down for formaggio e charcuteria. Is that how you say it in Italian? Anyway, I think tonight's pasta has too much sauce.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
bistecca!!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IME Bologna has the best food in Italy, although Naples is close. Depends on how much you like pizza and seafood.

Piemonte?
thankfully, we don't have to choose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads