• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge 12/11/15 : Be like Roycru!

Who did it best?

• Koala-T

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Tom Miler

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • RoSaCe

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Mr Knightley

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was suggest that this week's Friday Challenge be "Dress like AAS." I thought it was a bit
revolve.gif
, but I liked the idea. So instead, I challenge everyone to be like one of my favorite posters: the always outnumbered, never outgunned, ROYCRU! Roycru has a classic Brooks Brothers/Ivy/Trad style which I love. More than that I really enjoy the stories he tells in his post. They often go beyond clothing. Lastly, his pictures are often taken in fun places with interesting people. So this week's challenge is to be like Roycru. That can take one of the following three forms.
1. Dress like Roycru.

900x900px-LL-68ddf7d2_P1040964.jpeg

900x900px-LL-8b3b9857_P1040831.jpeg

2. Pose somewhere fun/with someone fun.

900x900px-LL-2e169712_P1030709.jpeg

900x900px-LL-af2aa5a5_SS_WestsidePavili_20141201_000002.jpeg

900x900px-LL-a1afd765_P1040344.jpeg

3. Tell a good story with your post.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/11460#post_7563764

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/11190#post_7551367

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/28920#post_8179619

Contestants.

Thanks again to everyone who posts pictures of themselves and who likes my pictures.

In Austin, there is a service that goes around planting trees completely free of charge in front of people's houses. This is one of two trees they planted in front of my house in 2007. The other tree they planted is dead.

Brown herringbone tweed jacket with dark brown suede elbow patches, Brooks Brothers ecru PPBD, Land's End #1 regimental striped tie, Club Room cashmere argyle sweater vest, Saks Fifth Avenue green corduroy trousers, and Land's End brown bucs.

Here is me with the most famous billy goats in Poland. The story tells that long time ago two billy goats got into the Poznań (Poland) town hall and ran all the way up to the clock on the tower where they managed to get to the balcony and started head butting in front of city inhabitants. To commemorate this, a special mechanism was installed in the clock on the town hall tower and every day at noon two metal billy goats come out and bump their heads to the joy of hundreds of tourists :D :D :D
Here is a YT link on what it looks like :D -->

I only post this picture for fun as it cannot enter due to the fact that it has been taken a few weeks ago :(

Thanks to everyone who votes for me in these Challenges, as well as those who take the trouble to avoid voting for anyone else in these Challenges.

On Macquarie Street in central Sydney, outside the façade of the old Sydney Hospital and facing down the long axis of Martin Place, is the bronze statue of Il Porcellino. Legend has it that if you rub the nose of the boar, you will be endowed with good fortune and enormous testicles, and hence quite possibly win the RoyCru Challenge.

Having accosted a reluctant passerby and forced persuaded him to take this photo, I rubbed said boar's nose and was immediately arrested by a nearby member of the Constabulary for failing to smile. Fortunately they have excellent internet access at the police station, where I find myself unquestionably the best-dressed miscreant in my Henry Bucks linen jacket, Brooks Brothers linen shirt, Canali linen trousers, and G&G split-toe scotch-grained loafers. Ivy League it certainly ain't, but then again, I do catch a lot of trains.

Here is my attempt at emulating both the traditional American style of Roycru, and his expression of deadpan inscrutability. Emulation of both is harder than it looks.

Yesterday I had to visit one of my client, in Normandy, 1 hour away from Paris. As we, parisian, usually don't have cars, I had to take one of my colleague's volkswagen. (Eventhough this is a Roycru challenge, I couldn't take the train). It was his family's car, and I have to say, it was pretty dirty inside (you know how children are in cars ...). It would have been intrusive to clean inside the car, but I decided to wash the outside and to fill up.
The sport coat is from Chester Barrie, shirt Finamore, Tie was thrifted and has no name, Trousers are from Suitsupply and shoes from Edward Green.

The many menswear historians among you will know that British fashion in the 1960s was driven by Modernism. What isn’t perhaps as well documented is the emergence towards the end of the decade of a new youth style, which proposed an edgier take on the Mod look of the early to mid-1960s, thus rejecting the late 60s effeminate hippy styles. The media here would come to tag it ‘skinhead’ sometime in 1969.

Partly because of the unwelcome media attention, the skinhead quickly evolved into suedehead and his clothes were heavily influenced by Ivy League style, not unlike the look Roycru wears so well today. The purveyor of this transatlantic look to young London suedeheads was John Simons of the Ivy Shop in Richmond and sister emporium, The Squire Shop in London’s Soho. I pursued this new trend with enthusiasm and, over 40 years later, it still has some influence over the way I dress.

Of course, suedeheads loved trains! On a Saturday evening, going to Ilford Palais, for example, to ensure we arrived looking sharp we would stand all the way! Often in a half-empty carriage.

Regrettably, I have few pics surviving from that era but here is one of a family group taken in 1967 when the style was still evolving. Today, I still like to wear a three button jacket with a piece of knitwear and a pair of longwing brogues (which more than any other item came to symbolise the suedehead style). But, now as then, I struggle to perfect the deadpan look of RC...

I am on the left! I can date this to early summer 1967 as it was taken to celebrate my parents' 20th wedding anniversary.

Then - my first MTM suit in a navy small self herringbone.

Now - Blazer and trou - bespoke from an Original mod tailor based in Ilford
Shirt - Harvie and Hudson
Tie - 'Cockburn' tartan bought when on holiday in the Trossachs
Pocket square from local outfitter
Knitwear - Benetton from their Tel Aviv branch
Shoes - Florsheim Imperial longwings from John Simons current shop in London's Chiltern Street
Socks - Hilfiger

First shot at dressing like Roycru with an AAS twist. Monochromatic browns, fair isle sweater, BB OCBD, argyle socks, AE shoes.

900x900px-LL-1b73efa0_P1060597.jpeg

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice.

(It'll be ironic if Roycru enters but doesn't win ...)

Cheers,

Ac

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, I lost the "Dress like Claghorn" contest in the summer, so it happens.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contestants, set your faces to deadpan.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Let's see.

I'm going to need a train ...

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not an official entry, since it wasn't taken this week (Harry S. Truman was President when this picture was taken) and I'm not wearing a tie, but it does show that I've had only one facial expression for my entire life.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to see what with the beard RC

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So who's the kid?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This should be interesting.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who posts pictures of themselves and who likes my pictures.

In Austin, there is a service that goes around planting trees completely free of charge in front of people's houses. This is one of two trees they planted in front of my house in 2007. The other tree they planted is dead.

Brown herringbone tweed jacket with dark brown suede elbow patches, Brooks Brothers ecru PPBD, Land's End #1 regimental striped tie, Club Room cashmere argyle sweater vest, Saks Fifth Avenue green corduroy trousers, and Land's End brown bucs.

Tom Miler

Reaction score
Here is me with the most famous billy goats in Poland. The story tells that long time ago two billy goats got into the Poznań (Poland) town hall and ran all the way up to the clock on the tower where they managed to get to the balcony and started head butting in front of city inhabitants. To commemorate this, a special mechanism was installed in the clock on the town hall tower and every day at noon two metal billy goats come out and bump their heads to the joy of hundreds of tourists :D :D :D
Here is a YT link on what it looks like :D -->

I only post this picture for fun as it cannot enter due to the fact that it has been taken a few weeks ago :(

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who votes for me in these Challenges, as well as those who take the trouble to avoid voting for anyone else in these Challenges.

On Macquarie Street in central Sydney, outside the façade of the old Sydney Hospital and facing down the long axis of Martin Place, is the bronze statue of Il Porcellino. Legend has it that if you rub the nose of the boar, you will be endowed with good fortune and enormous testicles, and hence quite possibly win the RoyCru Challenge.

Having accosted a reluctant passerby and forced persuaded him to take this photo, I rubbed said boar's nose and was immediately arrested by a nearby member of the Constabulary for failing to smile. Fortunately they have excellent internet access at the police station, where I find myself unquestionably the best-dressed miscreant in my Henry Bucks linen jacket, Brooks Brothers linen shirt, Canali linen trousers, and G&G split-toe scotch-grained loafers. Ivy League it certainly ain't, but then again, I do catch a lot of trains.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads