• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I received both t-shirts I ordered, 1 modal and 1 two-ply.
Fit and length are perfect for me. Medium for my 6' #167 frame.
Sizing was consistent between the two.

Not a ton of difference, 2 ply feels slightly thicker, slightly stiffer. Modal feels more like a soft, tech fabric but not in a bad way.
I haven't washed them yet.

I like both, but if I re-order, it will probably be modal.
I live in SoCal so the cooler the better, and the modal also seems like it won't wrinkle.
Depending on how they come out of the washer, I'll order more.
With the discount for buying 2, I think it's good value for what you get.

You mind posting pics after you wash them?

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
So I received both t-shirts I ordered, 1 modal and 1 two-ply.
Fit and length are perfect for me. Medium for my 6' #167 frame.
Sizing was consistent between the two.

Not a ton of difference, 2 ply feels slightly thicker, slightly stiffer. Modal feels more like a soft, tech fabric but not in a bad way.
I haven't washed them yet.

I like both, but if I re-order, it will probably be modal.
I live in SoCal so the cooler the better, and the modal also seems like it won't wrinkle.
Depending on how they come out of the washer, I'll order more.
With the discount for buying 2, I think it's good value for what you get.
Are you able to say how these compare to the Uniqlo supima t-shirts?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you able to say how these compare to the Uniqlo supima t-shirts?
Sorry, the only t-shirts I get from Uniqlo are the airisms that I use as undershirts.
I can say that these are a slender fit, but not too much. Right in the sweet spot I like.
And the stitching on the neck and cuffs/bottom feel quality.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross thread from hof

S&M SC and trousers

20240220_130546.jpg

rob g

Reaction score
So I went to Suitsupply today. (Brief aside to rant: I got "helped" by a completely useless and condescending sales associate who told me I didn't need to worry about fit, and to leave that to him, and Havana/Lazio/Milano didn't mean anything and varied by suit and by year, so it was useless to try to find the right size and cut until I found the specific suit I wanted. Then I asked him for any 3-roll-2 and he didn't know what that meant. Any remark I made about how a jacket fit got him more and more irritated. Also he told me there were no 3-piece suits, and then the first one I reached for on the rack was a 3-piece suit. Ok, rant over.)

It turns out my best fit is a 38R in Havana. The 36 Havana was way too slim, the 38 Lazio was too slim, the 38 Milano was a bit too roomy, and the 38 Roma was definitely too roomy. I went into Gieves & Hawkes and also found that the 38 fit me better than the 36. Thought I was going crazy and when I came home tried on one of my 36 Ludlows, and it fit very similarly to the 38 Havana, at least across the chest.

I guess I'll try the 38 Contemporary Spier & Mackay suit then!
Just saw this thread... I wear a 40R slim in S&M Neo jackets and a 40R in J Crew Ludlow and find they fit the same in chest and shoulders and the Ludlow has slightly more room in the waist.

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for the light grey herringbone balmacaan from the recent release, I have one for sale. Brand new/never worn with tags, size 44. Shoot me a DM if interested, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5855.jpeg
    IMG_5855.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 201

alkydrinker

Reaction score
PSA Re High-Rise Chinos Fitting Small
Based on pair I received, it appears the current crop of high rise chinos (RY-3111-CHN-HR) are coming in small. Pulled firmly taut with some force, size 35 half waistband measures 18 1/8" at the very most (36 1/4" total waist absolute max), whereas the chart says 36.8" as the total waist.

Compared to the previous crop (RY-2706-CHINO-HR-SS22), they are about an inch smaller in the waist. In the attached pic, the burgundy are size 35 from the current crop, whereas the green ones are size 35 from the older season. I also have another pair from the previous season in khaki color, which fit bigger as well (fitting exactly the same as the green ones).

I can't fit into these burgundy chinos I just received and unfortunately had them hemmed (so technically final sale). I did send an email to the S&M returns dept to see if they would help me out at all with an exchange, partial credit, or anything.

EDIT: I'll also note that they were hemmed with a blind hem stitch, like how you would hem wool trousers. I've had several casual cotton chinos hemmed by S&M now, and it seems to be random luck of the draw whether they decide to do a blind hem or the more casual visible straight stitch. My last pairs were straight stitched.

Attachments

• IMG_8657.jpg
    IMG_8657.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_8658.jpg
    IMG_8658.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Commonbloke

Reaction score
A few other dimensions would be helpful, such as height, chest, and/ or shoulders, but without those data points I'd think a 42 would fit best.

I am about the same height and a bit lighter and take 42. If I was a few pounds heavier I would probably need a 44. There is no way I would fit in a 40.

So yeah, start with a 42.

tonicab

Reaction score
Thank you.
Berg and Berg 50 are small, but 52 have long arms and no works.
Cavour 50 was good in a model, but I ordered another model 50 (with another material) and it was small for me.
Regards.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA Re High-Rise Chinos Fitting Small
Based on pair I received, it appears the current crop of high rise chinos (RY-3111-CHN-HR) are coming in small. Pulled firmly taut with some force, size 35 half waistband measures 18 1/8" at the very most (36 1/4" total waist absolute max), whereas the chart says 36.8" as the total waist.

Compared to the previous crop (RY-2706-CHINO-HR-SS22), they are about an inch smaller in the waist. In the attached pic, the burgundy are size 35 from the current crop, whereas the green ones are size 35 from the older season. I also have another pair from the previous season in khaki color, which fit bigger as well (fitting exactly the same as the green ones).

I can't fit into these burgundy chinos I just received and unfortunately had them hemmed (so technically final sale). I did send an email to the S&M returns dept to see if they would help me out at all with an exchange, partial credit, or anything.

EDIT: I'll also note that they were hemmed with a blind hem stitch, like how you would hem wool trousers. I've had several casual cotton chinos hemmed by S&M now, and it seems to be random luck of the draw whether they decide to do a blind hem or the more casual visible straight stitch. My last pairs were straight stitched.
The regular chinos are as well. I messaged Rick on IG and he investigated with me and his team to find out if it was a one off. They were 0.5” off spec or something in the half waist.

The right way that they measure is from inner waistband, button to button hole.

They exchanged for free for me, but I also didn’t hem at my tailor yet.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
The regular chinos are as well. I messaged Rick on IG and he investigated with me and his team to find out if it was a one off. They were 0.5” off spec or something in the half waist.

The right way that they measure is from inner waistband, button to button hole.

They exchanged for free for me, but I also didn’t hem at my tailor yet.

Thanks for adding that info. The chinos do seem to be very consistent within a "run" (aka season), but meaningfully varied between different runs. I've purchased high-rise chinos from atleast 4 different runs, and it's a craps shoot each time whether to get 35 or 36.

Lesson learned for me: don't get them hemmed if it's your first pair from a run. (It's so tempting tho to get free hemming instead of carting them to a tailor and paying out and additional $15-$20.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads