• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmckay2

Reaction score
I have a bunch of S&M trousers in cotton and cotton/linen blend. I was thinking of giving them a delicate wash instead of dry cleaning. I've had bad results dry cleaning cotton trousers. Not only they shrunk a bit, the fabric became thinner. It seems that the dry cleaning process is too aggressive for these trousers.

Has anyone tried delicate washing S&M cotton or cotton/linen trousers? could you please provide your input?

The trousers aren't stained or anything. I just want to freshen them up before pressing.
What's the blend exactly? I have some cotton/linen trousers and it says to just machine wash cold

CLH03

Reaction score
I have a bunch of S&M trousers in cotton and cotton/linen blend. I was thinking of giving them a delicate wash instead of dry cleaning. I've had bad results dry cleaning cotton trousers. Not only they shrunk a bit, the fabric became thinner. It seems that the dry cleaning process is too aggressive for these trousers.

Has anyone tried delicate washing S&M cotton or cotton/linen trousers? could you please provide your input?

The trousers aren't stained or anything. I just want to freshen them up before pressing.
You should be fine. I’m guessing there probably isn’t any fusing or anything the waistband, like a dress trouser, so go for it. Just hang dry them and press when they’re damp

zurich64

Reaction score
You should be fine. I’m guessing there probably isn’t any fusing or anything the waistband, like a dress trouser, so go for it. Just hang dry them and press when they’re damp

You can wash at 20-30C without issues in front loading machines. Don't use high spin, use wool/hand wash cycle if the machine has it. Cotton/linen blend is more likely to shrink if washed at high temp / high spin.

It helps if you fold the trousers to fit into a wash bag before putting them in the washing machine.

And air dry, the dryer is highly likely to ruin the blends.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
The regular chinos are as well. I messaged Rick on IG and he investigated with me and his team to find out if it was a one off. They were 0.5” off spec or something in the half waist.

The right way that they measure is from inner waistband, button to button hole.

They exchanged for free for me, but I also didn’t hem at my tailor yet.

Just received a CS reply on my issue with smaller fitting high-rise chinos. They advised to measure just as you said: measure along the inner waistband, from button to button hole.

Measuring that way, the waist actually does measure exactly to the spec of 36.8". I replied back, saying basically "fine, I guess my return request is invalid" but did grumble a bit that:
A) The pants are a full inch smaller than two pairs that I have from the previous season
&
B) Their website does not say how to measure and this is not the usual way most menswear companies measure. This method seems to get you an extra 3/4" than the usual method of measuring the half waistband (level and taut) then multiplying by 2.

EDIT: CS replied again and granted me an exception to their return policy on finished pants, and are allowing a return for store credit (I have spent a lot of money with them). I'm very satisfied with the help and resolution from their CS team.

Last edited:

SteveMc

Reaction score
You can wash at 20-30C without issues in front loading machines. Don't use high spin, use wool/hand wash cycle if the machine has it. Cotton/linen blend is more likely to shrink if washed at high temp / high spin.

It helps if you fold the trousers to fit into a wash bag before putting them in the washing machine.

And air dry, the dryer is highly likely to ruin the blends.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll throw one in and see how it goes.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a CS reply on my issue with smaller fitting high-rise chinos. They advised to measure just as you said: measure along the inner waistband, from button to button hole.

Measuring that way, the waist actually does measure exactly to the spec of 36.8". I replied back, saying basically "fine, I guess my return request is invalid" but did grumble a bit that:
A) The pants are a full inch smaller than two pairs that I have from the previous season
&
B) Their website does not say how to measure and this is not the usual way most menswear companies measure. This method seems to get you an extra 3/4" than the usual method of measuring the half waistband (level and taut) then multiplying by 2.
Mine came out smaller than the chart when measuring how CS advised

1709149957527.png

No matter what prior to ordering new clothes I measure previous ones and how I feel in them just to double check…

JTrent82

Reaction score
Lost yet another interior waistband button on the latest run of chinos. Pretty sure they're using cotton thread. May do a burn test later. Shame because I really like them otherwise.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Are you sure? All my cotton ones say cold wash, I have those cotton linen ones and mine say cold wash and air dry.

Yes.
This is the label for a pair of 100% quest cotton, I dry cleaned and it shrank a bit, the fabric became thinner.
1709209414575_quest.jpg
1709209414560_quest.jpg

This is the label for regular 100% cotton dress trousers. I'm willing to give these a test wash:
1709209414545_front.jpg
1709209414531_back.png

tmckay2

Reaction score
Yes.
This is the label for a pair of 100% quest cotton, I dry cleaned and it shrank a bit, the fabric became thinner.
View attachment 2140987 View attachment 2140985

This is the label for regular 100% cotton dress trousers. I'm willing to give these a test wash:
View attachment 2140989 View attachment 2140991
Weird, must be due to the lining or something. All mine are machine wash. Side note but I dig the cotton/linen ones. Nice feel, slight stretch in my opinion, lightweight. I'm going to get more. Only thing that scares me if they end up wrinkling bad. Not terrible if they do but kind of a pain.

CLH03

Reaction score
Weird, must be due to the lining or something. All mine are machine wash. Side note but I dig the cotton/linen ones. Nice feel, slight stretch in my opinion, lightweight. I'm going to get more. Only thing that scares me if they end up wrinkling bad. Not terrible if they do but kind of a pain.
They definitely wrinkle pretty heavily

SteveMc

Reaction score
I like them as well. I wouldn't worry, they don't wrinkle much due to the cotton blend.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProVigorEnhance