• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Thinking of buying my first S&M suit, but unfortunately I'm in the UK, so exchanges and returns are a big hit. Wondering if people have general sizing comparisons to share with the only suits I own, JCrew Ludlow?

I'm quite slim/V-shaped - I fit pretty well into Ludlow 36R, especially at the waist - there is a slight bit of lapel gape and small shoulder divots, so I assume my chest is slightly too big for that size.

For S&M I fit very well into their 15/34 Extra Slim shirts if tucked in, and pretty well into the Slim shirts if I'm after a more casual fit. Untucked the Extra Slim come out noticeably wide at the hips so they look a bit silly. I'm 6'0 and about 165 lbs.

I'm not opposed to some alterations up to maybe £150; I just don't want to have to return the whole thing and waste that amount in shipping and duties for nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Personally I will often shop around on ebay and such and find clothes from manufacturers that I am unfamiliar with to test out sizes. You can find jackets from s&m for around $150 used. Even just one will give a pretty good idea before you buy something from them directly for a higher cost.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I will often shop around on ebay and such and find clothes from manufacturers that I am unfamiliar with to test out sizes. You can find jackets from s&m for around $150 used. Even just one will give a pretty good idea before you buy something from them directly for a higher cost.
That is how I started. @spacenegroes you may be inbetween sizes. I am this way. The 40R fits me great in the back, but has minor gaping. The 42 fits great in the front and the back need taking in. Im basically a true 41R. In those circumstances it might be better to get the larger and have it tailored some.

spacenegroes

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good shout. Unfortunately, I've checked eBay, Grailed, Vinted, Depop, the B&S forum here, and Poshmark and there's only one 36R available across the whole lot, and cheap as it is, I still don't want to buy it.

And re: getting measurements and comparing, I don't really ever think numbers are comparable when measured by different people in different places. Get two people to measure the same jacket and you're going to get variances of at least half an inch.

I'm just hoping there's one person on this forum that has experience with both Ludlow and S&M Slim or Contemporary to just say something like "my Ludlow is tighter across the chest but feels the same across the buttoning point" or something. That'd be enough for me to make a call. Ultimately I'm fine with some sizing risk.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good shout. Unfortunately, I've checked eBay, Grailed, Vinted, Depop, the B&S forum here, and Poshmark and there's only one 36R available across the whole lot, and cheap as it is, I still don't want to buy it.

And re: getting measurements and comparing, I don't really ever think numbers are comparable when measured by different people in different places. Get two people to measure the same jacket and you're going to get variances of at least half an inch.

I'm just hoping there's one person on this forum that has experience with both Ludlow and S&M Slim or Contemporary to just say something like "my Ludlow is tighter across the chest but feels the same across the buttoning point" or something. That'd be enough for me to make a call. Ultimately I'm fine with some sizing risk.
Can you get your hands on a suit supply havana cheap? I found their fit is very close to the slim spier in the same size

lindenbaum

Reaction score
Thinking of buying my first S&M suit, but unfortunately I'm in the UK, so exchanges and returns are a big hit. Wondering if people have general sizing comparisons to share with the only suits I own, JCrew Ludlow?

I'm quite slim/V-shaped - I fit pretty well into Ludlow 36R, especially at the waist - there is a slight bit of lapel gape and small shoulder divots, so I assume my chest is slightly too big for that size.

For S&M I fit very well into their 15/34 Extra Slim shirts if tucked in, and pretty well into the Slim shirts if I'm after a more casual fit. Untucked the Extra Slim come out noticeably wide at the hips so they look a bit silly. I'm 6'0 and about 165 lbs.

I'm not opposed to some alterations up to maybe £150; I just don't want to have to return the whole thing and waste that amount in shipping and duties for nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Please understand that even two suits with the same fit can feel different since there’s a margin of error and I only have one Ludlow suit.

I think Ludlow is somewhere between Spier and Mackay Contemporary and Slim from chest to waist. And SM is longer than J Crew.

1705951623.325845.jpeg

1707685202.14745.jpeg

The upper one is Ludlow 38S and the lower one is SM Slim 38R. Since I took different poses, it seems Ludlow is slimmer but when you see wrinkles, you will notice SM Slim is tighter.

1708218220.620533.jpeg

1707685205.905219.jpeg

1708218234.664043.jpeg

The last one is 38S Contemporary. You can see that Ludlow is somewhere between Slim and Contemporary. Please try to modify these pictures to compare chest and waist.

I usually wear SM slim shirt comfortably and I wear their jacket and suit of Contemporary fit.

According to your comments, I recommend to go for SM Contemporary. Letting-in is usually easier than letting-out. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

simplesimplesimple

Reaction score
Amazing thread...
I live outside the USA but am here temporarily - how quickly can I expect an RTW order to be shipped?

(Also, I am a 40R in Suitsupply Havana, but it's tightish in the arms and I'm wondering about Spier and Mackay 40R contemporary Neapolitan - likely to work well?? I'm 6ft, 175lb, arms about 6'3")

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing thread...
I live outside the USA but am here temporarily - how quickly can I expect an RTW order to be shipped?

(Also, I am a 40R in Suitsupply Havana, but it's tightish in the arms and I'm wondering about Spier and Mackay 40R contemporary Neapolitan - likely to work well?? I'm 6ft, 175lb, arms about 6'3")
I'm 6', 167 and I have some 40R slim that work on me but I'm pushing the envelope.
I think you'll be ok in contemporary but I hate to give S&M size advice because they can be inconsistent.
Also, I live in SoCal and normally get my shipments within a week and a half to two weeks.

St1X

Reaction score
Amazing thread...

From my experience Havana is equal to Contemporary in the same size. But I'd rather size up to slim in next size.
You can also write to S&M support and ask them to expedite your shipment for an additional fee. Costs ~15$ but it will be delivered in around 3 days

spacenegroes

Reaction score
Please understand that even two suits with the same fit can feel different since there’s a margin of error and I only have one Ludlow suit.

I think Ludlow is somewhere between Spier and Mackay Contemporary and Slim from chest to waist. And SM is longer than J Crew.

View attachment 2133967
View attachment 2133971

The upper one is Ludlow 38S and the lower one is SM Slim 38R. Since I took different poses, it seems Ludlow is slimmer but when you see wrinkles, you will notice SM Slim is tighter.

View attachment 2133977
View attachment 2133975
View attachment 2134001

The last one is 38S Contemporary. You can see that Ludlow is somewhere between Slim and Contemporary. Please try to modify these pictures to compare chest and waist.

I usually wear SM slim shirt comfortably and I wear their jacket and suit of Contemporary fit.

According to your comments, I recommend to go for SM Contemporary. Letting-in is usually easier than letting-out. Hope this helps.

Amazing, thanks for all the help! Will pop into Suit Supply next week and find out my drive in their popular cuts, and triangulate further.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
so I am a big fan of Turtleneck sweaters. I have bought several from multiple brands and I like the English Rib the most. the neck does not stretch out as others, which is the most important feature for me. when it does, it just looks sloppy. the regular merino wool one was the worst. I had a uniqlo one that held up better for like 2 years. The cable one also stretched out after 10 uses. I have not tried the Aaran one. I don't think it's something I am doing different in terms of cleaning, drying etc. Just wanted to share my experience an see if you have different?
Brian Sacawa wrote on this, have you all tried this?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Corduroy Casual Sportshirts. I'm usually a size 15 Contemporary in Spier shirts and compared to the size chart that should have translated into a size small, but I received them last week and they were too fitted for me straight out of the bag.

Also note if you're in the U.S. and try to return with their shipping label, UPS cannot print it out for you because it's an international shipment. You'll need to print it out before you get to UPS. There are some extra forms that need to be included with the package due to the international shipment.

refinery

Reaction score
Someone in the S&M BST thread mentioned they actually make 46S RTW suits but I haven't seen any. Have they stopped or is this just rare? 44S is unfortunately too tight for me and I'd rather not go MTM if possible.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of the gloves (ideally suede)? How are they?

The suede is soft, they don’t feel bulky, got size large and fits perfect. I have a small 6.25 wrist
Color is darker than this , it’s just a sunny day

Attachments

• IMG_4573.jpeg
    IMG_4573.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 215

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads