• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EddieK

Reaction score
I've done it. I used the C22 collar and put the below changes in to try and mimic the Roma BD collar from Proper Cloth. You can put your changes in the customer comments section. Please with the results. But like anything I customize, there's usually something that I wish I had done slightly differently.

"If possible, on the collar, I would like the following dimensions: 4" collar points, 4" spread, 1 7/16" front collar band height, 1 9/16" rear collar band height, 1/4" tie space, stiff fused interlining."
Interesting, never knew this!
I'll have to do this now

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
I have the caramel and since they were my very first cords, I kinda liked that dull/matte look but they look great IMO. Already considering getting the tan and cream ones.

Those are some handsome looking trousers, thanks for taking the time to link me the images. Incredibly helpful, I will be going for the Carmel colour.

Dusty cords look better than shiny ones IMO, which are a lot of the brisbane moss cords.

The appeal of corduroy is the awesome casual texture. Sheen takes away from that and leans it towards velvet.

A great point I never considered, thank you!

hafdisarson

Reaction score
I'm the same size as you, but a little less than two inches smaller in the waist. 44L works well and I've never bothered to take in the waist, although it is a bit roomy.

Thank you for answering me. I just measured myself again now upon awakening and at the hips and waist I'm 38" and 36" respectively. What size trousers would you recommend?

hschrapel

Reaction score
Has anyone made a custom shirt order with custom collar specs?

If yes, were you happy with the results? Any pictures?
I contacted Rick about this some time ago and he made it all possible. I liked a very specific collar from another company, but their fit was simply too tight for me OTR. I asked him if he could replicate the collar, and he said I needed to provide something like 7 or 9 different specs (all of which weren't available to edit within the MTM system).

I purchased the OTR shirt, measured according to Rick's required specs, and returned the shirt followed by sending Rick the specs. He got in contact with the team in India who make the shirts, and told me to include in the notes "Collar as per Rick's measurements".

2 months later, I received the shirt, and it was a **** collar. I thought I screwed up, and I measured it all out and in fact, the factory for some reason made like a C21 or something stock (which I had to select to proceed with the MTM order). I got in contact with the team, and it turns out, they failed to acknowledge the notes and did a full remake plus expedited production.

2 weeks later (and another round of import fees and taxes) I received the rep shirt and I was really happy with the collar. It was a spitting image and was the perfect combination of the collar that I liked and the Spier fit that I have grown to love.

All in all, I would do it again, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a custom shirt order with custom collar specs?

If yes, were you happy with the results? Any pictures?

I contacted Rick about this some time ago and he made it all possible. I liked a very specific collar from another company, but their fit was simply too tight for me OTR. I asked him if he could replicate the collar, and he said I needed to provide something like 7 or 9 different specs (all of which weren't available to edit within the MTM system).

I purchased the OTR shirt, measured according to Rick's required specs, and returned the shirt followed by sending Rick the specs. He got in contact with the team in India who make the shirts, and told me to include in the notes "Collar as per Rick's measurements".

2 months later, I received the shirt, and it was a **** collar. I thought I screwed up, and I measured it all out and in fact, the factory for some reason made like a C21 or something stock (which I had to select to proceed with the MTM order). I got in contact with the team, and it turns out, they failed to acknowledge the notes and did a full remake plus expedited production.

2 weeks later (and another round of import fees and taxes) I received the rep shirt and I was really happy with the collar. It was a spitting image and was the perfect combination of the collar that I liked and the Spier fit that I have grown to love.

All in all, I would do it again, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through.
the way i did it was to look at the various collars, find the one closest to the shirt collar of the now-defunct company whose shirts I wanted to copy, and then just made small changes to their existing measurements. In my case, that meant really only changing the front collar band height on the large Italian full spread collar, and requesting 0” tie space (which isn’t specified in their description so I‘m not sure if it’s designed that way or not). I also recently did an order where I got specific about the collar interlinings, which I’ll report back on when the shirt arrives.

ElliotG

Reaction score

Where are you located? I'm an attorney in Michigan, and those are both more or equally formal to anything I've seen other attorneys wear to state and federal court appearances (including Michigan Supreme Court). I suppose there might still be some banks/law firms in NYC where those wouldn't fly, but most places I don't think anyone would care.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHA indeed! The plum hopsack is there too! :bounce2:

But I'm waiting for those green jackets they posted. Those are the firsts I need
Indeed, the greens this season are fabulous. If I hadn't already commissioned the bottle green SC through MTO last season I'd definitely get it. I'm not creative enough to be able to pair the sage green well enough. I have no doubts you will though. Maybe I'll get it after getting some inspiration from you.

My favourite this season got to be the rust SC though. Such an unusual yet tasteful piece. A must have for me together with the chocolate brown mentioned above.

Also considering the DB navy SC. I'm not sure if it's to textured for me though. I'll have to wait and see.

M.Olsson

Reaction score
A S&M linnen sports jacket from one of their recent ”liquidation sales”. I’m quite happy with it. The fit is good OTR and I don’t think I’ll bother having it altered (even if the sleeves could be shortened a bit and the waist taken in).

The fabric is decent; maybe a bit too shiny for my taste. To be fair the fabric doesn’t scream high quality. But for the price I can’t complain! If just the shipping to Europe would be as cheap... ?

Attachments

• 627DBB6F-8719-4121-9E7E-196949A24B36.jpeg
    627DBB6F-8719-4121-9E7E-196949A24B36.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 110
  • 9C430E4C-C2A6-4F95-A342-751AC14B3A96.jpeg
    9C430E4C-C2A6-4F95-A342-751AC14B3A96.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 128

motorchang

Reaction score
While I'm still contemplating on buying chocolate flannel suite, another day with another pairing of new SM pieces. I love this moss green turtleneck. I had never bought any garment in a shade of green ever before but recently got inspired by some aficionados on instagram to try and gave it a shot. What took me so long? Seems really versatile and a nice break from my usual navys and browns without being "look at me" loud.

Also on maiden voyage is Botto Giuseppe charcoal flannel trousers. My third flannel bottom from this season and I think I like it as much as the dark brown, so much so that I'd almost wish I purchased the suit rather than trousers only. Used hem service again this time and came at the requested 29.5 inch inseam with 2 inch cuffs without a hinch.

This cashmere blend SC which I had posted here previously, I've came to a conclusion that it works best with casual pieces like roll neck, knitwears or jeans, etc rather than pairing with shirt and tie for me. It's pretty awesome for that use as a matter of fact.

IMG_9120.JPG

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
A S&M linnen sports jacket from one of their recent ”liquidation sales”. I’m quite happy with it. The fit is good OTR and I don’t think I’ll bother having it altered (even if the sleeves could be shortened a bit and the waist taken in).

The fabric is decent; maybe a bit too shiny for my taste. To be fair the fabric doesn’t scream high quality. But for the price I can’t complain! If just the shipping to Europe would be as cheap... ?

Fit looks good. I’m on the same boat with my OTR fit, but to lazy to bring to the tailor so I just wear as is.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
While I'm still contemplating on buying chocolate flannel suite, another day with another pairing of new SM pieces. I love this moss green turtleneck. I had never bought any garment in a shade of green ever before but recently got inspired by some aficionados on instagram to try and gave it a shot. What took me so long? Seems really versatile and a nice break from my usual navys and browns without being "look at me" loud.

Also on maiden voyage is Botto Giuseppe charcoal flannel trousers. My third flannel bottom from this season and I think I like it as much as the dark brown, so much so that I'd almost wish I purchased the suit rather than trousers only. Used hem service again this time and came at the requested 29.5 inch inseam with 2 inch cuffs without a hinch.

This cashmere blend SC which I had posted here previously, I've came to a conclusion that it works best with casual pieces like roll neck, knitwears or jeans, etc rather than pairing with shirt and tie for me. It's pretty awesome for that use as a matter of fact.

View attachment 1558370

I owned the jacket before returning it since I couldn’t figure out if I really loved it. The fabric was amazing though, definitely going to be on the look out for another wool/cashmere blend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics