• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Measurements: (Always cold wash, air dry)
Garrison chambray: 33.5
Montgomery stripe: 33.5, maybe a hair less
Navy check I can no longer find online: 34
Washed once Ecru shirt: 34

New, unwashed, unworn Wicklow: 34.5 (http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/2564_solid_light_blue_wicklow)

I don't know how I managed to wear the Garrison today, I think I was repeatedly tugging at my sleeves. =\ Anyhow these are just one guy's experiences and may not be reflective of the norm.

Thanks Losrockets for this. It's a good starting point.

33.5 is on the outer end of 3% Shrinkage. 1-3% is normal for 100% Cotton. That said, we can always improve our products and make adjustments that work better moving forward.

BR,
Rick

jamie411

Reaction score

Thanks Losrockets for this. It's a good starting point.

33.5 is on the outer end of 3% Shrinkage. 1-3% is normal for 100% Cotton. That said, we can always improve our products and make adjustments that work better moving forward.

BR,
Rick

Just measured my Garrison chambray which had shrunk a bit also (cold wash, hang dry) - the sleeves measure 33 3/8". My personal preference is 34" or even 33 3/4", so this is on the short end - and tends to "hide" under my suits and sportcoats when standing.

I think perhaps an extra 1/4" build in to account for shrinkage might be a good idea in the future.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just measured my Garrison chambray which had shrunk a bit also (cold wash, hang dry) - the sleeves measure 33 3/8". My personal preference is 34" or even 33 3/4", so this is on the short end - and tends to "hide" under my suits and sportcoats when standing.

I think perhaps an extra 1/4" build in to account for shrinkage might be a good idea in the future.

Seems like the Garrison is shrinking more than the accepted. We've already sent the fabric for shrink testing. Already spoke with my tailors. Running a shrink test across more than 50 fabrics of varying weaves and weights to find a better "average" to peg against and make adjustments against that.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Most shirts labeled sleeve length actually measure 1/2" - 1" longer than stated. So a labeled 35, can measure as long as 36". So our 34.5" would be short. Thanks for the feedback! We are looking to start rolling our multiple sleeves by fall. So longer options are coming.

Just have to say thanks to this community. I can always count on great, candid feedback to help us improve our products. In fact, the new Model 2 suits and sportcoats which are now flying off the racks are a direct response to feedback from this very community. So thanks again guys!

As a guy with short arms, this is really great news!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most shirts labeled sleeve length actually measure 1/2" - 1" longer than stated. So a labeled 35, can measure as long as 36". So our 34.5" would be short. Thanks for the feedback! We are looking to start rolling our multiple sleeves by fall. So longer options are coming.

Just have to say thanks to this community. I can always count on great, candid feedback to help us improve our products. In fact, the new Model 2 suits and sportcoats which are now flying off the racks are a direct response to feedback from this very community. So thanks again guys!

I think you should have also rolled out these sport coats in slim fit as well for summer.

I got my replacement shirt and it feels so much better than the original check fabric. I also got the updated spread collar and it tucks very nicely under a jacket, it looks fine to me without a tie as well. I will post pictures when I wear it next at a wedding

dehu1515

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just received my first order of dress shirts from S&M. Do you guys use collar stays for their shirts?

Please advise as I'm still a newbie!!

Thanks

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Just received my first order of dress shirts from S&M.  Do you guys use collar stays for their shirts?

Please advise as I'm still a newbie!!

Thanks

If I'm wearing a tie, no stays. When Im not wearing a tie then I use the stays.

The collar sits better when Im wearing a tie without the collar stays.

Chambertin

Reaction score
If I'm wearing a tie, no stays. When Im not wearing a tie then I use the stays.

The collar sits better when Im wearing a tie without the collar stays.

Interesting. I had never even considered the difference. I keep (stainless steel) stays in all the time. I'll have to experiment!

mister_nostyle

Reaction score

I visited the Spier and Mackay storefront recently and I have to say I'm quite liking what I see with the Model 2 line suits. The Light Blue Birdseye looks considerably better in-person than it does on the website. The check patterns also look nicer in person.

I think a lot of the patterns could benefit from a super closeup photo of the fabric on the website, about 4X more magnified that the current magnified image on the website.

I would love to see this too.

Thanks for that feedback. We'll look into in on new products.

WOW, looks like you did this for the latest sport coats. Thank you, the photos (and sport coats) look great!

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Y'all really do. I'm excited for sleeve length options later this year and can't wait for my order to come in. Been longingly gazing at the ultra-high res zoom of the hopsack jacket texture for many days now.

Reaction score
After getting flustered and annoyed with OTR stuff that did not fit from places like Tommy Hilfiger and Banana Republic I've made it a goal of mine to spend a bit more but end up with some excellent shirts that fit me perfectly and that will help me be presentable throughout law school. I'm a slim guy (153lbs last I checked) and am 5'11 so much of the stuff that these places sell are far too 'boxy' for my liking. I'll try to swing by the showroom this week and check out your OTR stuff but also to definitely get measured for some custom button downs.Super happy to see that you have a location that I can come too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads