• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I will have to jump on board and say that the sleeve is also what stopped me from buying any shirts from S&M the 15.5 slim fit was spot on when I came in to try it on except the sleeve was comically short. I usually wear a 15.5 35 so I guess a little longer than normal, but not absurdly so!

Most shirts labeled sleeve length actually measure 1/2" - 1" longer than stated. So a labeled 35, can measure as long as 36". So our 34.5" would be short. Thanks for the feedback! We are looking to start rolling our multiple sleeves by fall. So longer options are coming.

Just have to say thanks to this community. I can always count on great, candid feedback to help us improve our products. In fact, the new Model 2 suits and sportcoats which are now flying off the racks are a direct response to feedback from this very community. So thanks again guys!

Last edited:

zinc2162

Reaction score
Most shirts labeled sleeve length actually measure 1/2" - 1" longer than stated. So a labeled 35, can measure as long as 36". So our 34.5" would be short. Thanks for the feedback! We are looking to start rolling our multiple sleeves by fall. So longer options are coming.

Just have to say thanks to this community. I can always count on great, candid feedback to help us improve our products. In fact, the new Model 2 suits and sportcoats which are now flying off the racks are a direct response to feedback from this very community. So thanks again guys!

When do you expect you will have the model 2 sportcoats in slim fit?

James60

Reaction score
Has anyone received any of the new full spread collars?

I find them to be much larger than previous full spread collars, and am wondering if it's only the shirts I purchased.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone received any of the new full spread collars?

I find them to be much larger than previous full spread collars, and am wondering if it's only the shirts I purchased.

The old full spread was 3 1/8". We updated them this season to 3 1/2" (3 5/8" on 16 1/2 and larger). This is more in line with the suit lapels and ties we are now carrying. These also sit and roll better. Tuck away under jacket lapels more cleanly as well.

Last edited:

James60

Reaction score
That's too bad, if wearing the shirt unbuttoned the older full spread collar was great, soft corners and a nice spread.

These look closer to the semi-spread collars of last year. Will look good with a tie but not unbuttoned.

Is the older full spread still available custom?

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's too bad, if wearing the shirt unbuttoned the older full spread collar was great, soft corners and a nice spread.

These look closer to the semi-spread collars of last year. Will look good with a tie but not unbuttoned.

Is the older full spread still available custom?

Yes, the older full spread is available in custom.

We had a lot of customers not happy with the old version, complaining it was too small and not tucking away properly under jacket lapels. For the most part, full spreads should be worn with a tie. The angle of the cutaway doesn't lend itself as an optimal open collar style. The Semi-Spread is much better suited for that. But rules are always meant to be broken!

Vasco

Reaction score
I'm one of the customers that much prefer the new spread collar point lengths vs. last year's version. I do find it tucks away nicely under the jacket lapels.

Once the new conservative business dress cloth comes in (light blue, blue stripe, pink - hopefully, etc), I might choose to increase the spread a bit further even and keep the 3.5 inch length on a new set of custom shirts.

Spex

Reaction score

This is good to know, as is the experience of those members that mentioned the sleeve shrinkage. I was very close to ordering the shirts online, but I suppose a return is not possible once they are washed. I wear Kamakura shirts in 15.5 - 35.5 and although the sleeves are a hint long when my arms are by my side, in any other position they are perfect. I'm not sure if 1 inch shorter would work for me. I think I'd need to try them on in the store to make that judgement call.

Last edited:

pharmd

Reaction score

To side note this, I had to get my OTR sleeves shortened.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measurements: (Always cold wash, air dry)
Garrison chambray: 33.5
Montgomery stripe: 33.5, maybe a hair less
Navy check I can no longer find online: 34
Washed once Ecru shirt: 34

New, unwashed, unworn Wicklow: 34.5 (http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/2564_solid_light_blue_wicklow)

I don't know how I managed to wear the Garrison today, I think I was repeatedly tugging at my sleeves. =\ Anyhow these are just one guy's experiences and may not be reflective of the norm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads