SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Just to make sure I understand you well, I could shoot you guys an email and order a suit you display on your website, in a size as up as 52. I could also ask for wider lapels (4,25"), 2" cuffs side tabs and no belt loops, for example. It would be standard size since it is not made according to custom measurements? How do I know if, let's say, I'd need a 48 or a 50; do you have a chart with the measurements of suits up to 52?

Sorry if I am being unclear, as mentionned in my sig and you might've guessed from my location, I speak mostly French!

2. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

totally clear. you are correct. I don't have the chart handy right now as I am away from my office computer, but I can send you the size chart tomorrow.

I wish my french was more fluent!

3. mattdalton

mattdalton Member

Thanks for confirming it's Contemporary fit, Rick. That's what I am looking for. Now to decide if light or medium brown is better, and then start dropping hints to my wife and kids that it would be a great Father's Day gift.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015

4. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Got these today. I like the full spread collar a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015

5. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

It's funny, I ordered the exact same 3 shirts in addition to the navy wool/linen hopsack jacket. So excited. I've been slowly replacing the shirts in my closet with Spier & Mackay and i couldn't be more pleased.

6. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Good taste. haha.
    I also wanted to order the navy hopsack jacket but I think the slim one will be a better fit for me so I am going to wait a bit. Post pics when you get yours!!

7. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Put on one of my Spier shirts this morning and had to take it off and wear something else because the sleeves have shrunk too much. If anything will stop me from buying S&M OTR in the near future it'll be that a 35 sleeve would be preferable for me given the shrinkage allowance. (I always cold wash and air dry)

8. spiermackay

Do you know which shirt it is?

9. eyeofthetig3r

eyeofthetig3r Active Member

i had the same problem

10. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

The Montgomery stripe which was one of my favorites. Wearing the dress chambray instead which has held up a bit better in the sleeve department but in general I'm worried these shirts may not be long enough OTR to wear with sport coat or suits.

Also do your lighter weight OTR shirts fit differently or is it just the weight that's throwing me off? I bought this summer weight Navy and white gingham recently that I love the feel of but it's taken some getting used to the fit. Don't know exactly what seems different about it, just feels off.

Last edited: May 14, 2015

11. spiermackay

Can you advise the size and fit please. I need to check on this ASAP. We've been running the same sleeve for about 2 years now with little feedback regarding shrinkage in the sleeves.

Thanks,
    Rick

12. spiermackay

Do you know approx. how much the Montgomery shrank? 1/2" - 3/4", etc. This is a very good cloth from Soktas. Shrinkage should have been controlled to a max 2%.

The lightweight must be the Winford Check. That is a very loose weave. It will have a different drape to it. It doesn't have the same weight, so it will wear slightly different compared to denser weave or regular weight shirt.

13. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I'll measure for you when I get home, and will try to keep a spreadsheet with the shirts I have only washed once or not worn yet of washes and shrinkage since you mentioned yall would like some more feedback.

14. spiermackay

That would be helpful. I personally have about 40 or so shirts I wear regularly, that have had little issue with excessive shrinkage. We gather most of our feedback in store. That said, about 70% of our sales are still in store, so makes sense. But not many instances of excessive shrinkage.

15. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I will have to jump on board and say that the sleeve is also what stopped me from buying any shirts from S&M the 15.5 slim fit was spot on when I came in to try it on except the sleeve was comically short. I usually wear a 15.5 35 so I guess a little longer than normal, but not absurdly so!