• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The Verizon iPhone is probably coming after Christmas. Full integration with MS Exchange.

Just sayin'.

Is this inside information or confirmed? The recent news reports sound like the Vz iphone is around the corner this time, but then months pass and a new round of stories report its inevitablity.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
Is this inside information or confirmed? The recent news reports sound like the Vz iphone is around the corner this time, but then months pass and a new round of stories report its inevitablity.
Its definitely coming. The only question is when.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Went to the local Verizon store yesterday. Did not have a Droid Pro in, and even though the store was nearly empty and I did the stupid registration thing on their kiosk, waited 10 minutes and none of the idle idiots came over to show me the Droid X that was inside a little plastic show case.

Edit: Continued reading on Droid and Exchange email: it just doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as installing BB Redirector. Makes me wonder if forwarding work email to a Gmail account would be easier and more sure fire?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Went to the local Verizon store yesterday. Did not have a Droid Pro in, and even though the store was nearly empty and I did the stupid registration thing on their kiosk, waited 10 minutes and none of the idle idiots came over to show me the Droid X that was inside a little plastic show case.

Edit: Continued reading on Droid and Exchange email: it just doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as installing BB Redirector. Makes me wonder if forwarding work email to a Gmail account would be easier and more sure fire?

Well...BB Redirector is sort of a roundabout solution (presumably you use it because blackberries don't directly check exchange mail and you don't have a BES). On android, you should be able to connect directly to exchange without any forwarding or special software (just call IT...this should be much preferable in their eyes to the very very bad practice of forwarding work email to gmail)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Well...BB Redirector is sort of a roundabout solution (presumably you use it because blackberries don't directly check exchange mail and you don't have a BES). On android, you should be able to connect directly to exchange without any forwarding or special software (just call IT...this should be much preferable in their eyes to the very very bad practice of forwarding work email to gmail)

Going to get IT on it today. Yeah, the gmail forward is certainly less than optimal.

Busy week but plan to try and hit another Verizon store sometime to play with the X and Pro. I like the big screen but the physical keyboard might be the deciding factor for the Pro.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to get IT on it today. Yeah, the gmail forward is certainly less than optimal.

Busy week but plan to try and hit another Verizon store sometime to play with the X and Pro. I like the big screen but the physical keyboard might be the deciding factor for the Pro.

You should give swype a try...I know people who were unwilling to go without a physical keyboard until they learned how to use swype (or maybe one of its clones...I don't really know how the whole alternative keyboard app landscape looks).

Typing on a touchscreen may suck but apparently sliding your finger around is hella-fast

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You should give swype a try...I know people who were unwilling to go without a physical keyboard until they learned how to use swype (or maybe one of its clones...I don't really know how the whole alternative keyboard app landscape looks).

Typing on a touchscreen may suck but apparently sliding your finger around is hella-fast

I think for me it's going to also include the size of the X. While I couldn't touch it, as it was esconced in a little plastic showcase, it looked to be of considerable size. As a Storm user, I've gotten used to the virtual keyboard. However, put physical keyboard along with smaller size, and it might be a winner. I hear the Pro comes with extended battery life too, which as a power user, that would help too.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The X is a big ass phone. You get used to it after a while though.

If you're looking to merge the large screen and keyboard, why not just go with the Droid 2?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The X is a big ass phone. You get used to it after a while though.

If you're looking to merge the large screen and keyboard, why not just go with the Droid 2?

I need to learn my Droids. Isn't the 2 an older model than the X or Pro? Or is it just the X with a slider?

Mauby

Reaction score
The Android phone for the iGent.
laugh.gif

http://tinyurl.com/2bflrgh

http://tinyurl.com/23fkgz3

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I need to learn my Droids. Isn't the 2 an older model than the X or Pro? Or is it just the X with a slider?
The Droid was the original model that had a slide out keyboard. The Droid X was new earlier this year and has the jumbo screen with no keyboard. The Droid 2 came out more recently and is the same as the original droid only with updated internals and a few cosmetic fixes. The Droid Pro is newest and looks like a blackberry. There is also the HTC Incredible which has no keyboard.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...-DROID-2-US-EN

That's what I have. The touchscreen is easy to get used to, in landscape view the keyboard is large, but in normal view it can be tight (Its close enough to use one hand so it is kinda nice). If you need to type up a longer email you can slide out the keyboard and type away. Camera isn't as nice as the Droid X.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Happy with the phone function? How's the sync with Outlook email and calendar?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Happy with the phone function? How's the sync with Outlook email and calendar?

It does everything I need it to. Access to any website I've tried to go to, Streams video well, and doesn't lag at all.

Don't know the answer with Outlook, I just use Gmail. I don't have to have my work email handy.

Here is a good write up on Outlook stuff:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...c80efae8&hl=en

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The key question here might be are you trying to sync outlook or exchange?

Outlook calendars are very different things than exchange calendars that you happen to look at through outlook

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
margaretnoir900