• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
The key question here might be are you trying to sync outlook or exchange?

Outlook calendars are very different things than exchange calendars that you happen to look at through outlook

Pretty sure my Outlook calendar is housed on our Exchange server. I currently plug my Berry in with the little USB sync cord to sync. Not sure if that tells you which calendar I'm using.

Just went and handled them. Like the X the best. Screen is friggin' awesome and the virtual keyboard is actually better (IMO) than my Storm's. The Pro has a smaller, inferior screen and that qwerty is harder to use than a Berry with a physical keypad.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How are you Sprint Epic owners liking the phone so far? I got to play with one in the store yesterday while I was waiting for a rep to help and its pretty damn nice. The keyboard is excellent and that screen is so damn bright it could burn your eyes. I'm curious about: battery life screen usability in sunlight phone voice clarity/quality (in and out)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How are you Sprint Epic owners liking the phone so far? I got to play with one in the store yesterday while I was waiting for a rep to help and its pretty damn nice. The keyboard is excellent and that screen is so damn bright it could burn your eyes. I'm curious about:

battery life
screen usability in sunlight
phone voice clarity/quality (in and out)

I've been pretty happy with it. Still not thrilled with the battery life. Haven't had any problems with screen usability - the screen is great. Call clarity (both in and out) I would categorize as good but not excellent.

Random thoughts: It's ridiculous that froyo isn't out yet. I pretty much never use the slide out keyboard, but fwiw it's a good slide out keyboard. There is some slowdown from time to time, but nothing too terrible (I have 75 apps or so installed, including the stock apps). Didn't bother with a case or screen protector and so far the phone still looks like new. Did return mine twice (first came w/ stuck pixel; second was having data issues - not sure if they were actually hardware related or not). The size is something I've gotten used to and it really doesn't bother me. Probably more of an Android issue than an Epic issue - my freaking contacts are alphabetical by first name, except in a few instances. Not sure what I have to do to get everyone ordered by last name.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Probably more of an Android issue than an Epic issue - my freaking contacts are alphabetical by first name, except in a few instances. Not sure what I have to do to get everyone ordered by last name.

This seems more like an every phone I have ever owned issue...

I am actually ok with it since I tend to think of people by their first name (and I can start typing any part of their name and it will filter the contact list) but it does seem a little odd. I know that some people just enter their contacts last name first (I will admit that I did this with my family to keep them all in one place) but on the flip side, you have a lot of people entering numbers with only a first name.
If you just meet someone and get their number for something...people usually only enter the first name...ditto for close friends in that you know the only Mike in your phone without a last name is the Mike you want to call (though as more and more people sync with gmail/outlook/other real address books)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe this is the one way that WinMo is better than Android. All my contacts were entered last name first and showed as such on my Touch. Exported to CSV and imported to the new phone and now they're mostly First-Last. Not sure why a few (<5) are Last-First.

It also seems completely ridiculous that there is not a default option for this.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info DCG. You got the Epic added to your Sero plan, right?

Just for you Pio - New pics of the Verizon HTC Merge:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/h...-little-early/

Yup, $49.95/month. Still a great deal (even with the "4G tax").

I will say that I rarely use 4G....at least in Philly, seems it's constantly gaining/losing connection, and the few times I've had it on it's seemed like a real battery killer. I leave wifi on throughout the day.

Overall, while it's not perfect I'd make the switch again without hesitation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks for the info DCG. You got the Epic added to your Sero plan, right?

Just for you Pio - New pics of the Verizon HTC Merge:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/h...-little-early/

That looks pretty sweet. Must be coming out for the Xmas season if they already have the flash posted. One of the guys I'm doing happy hour with tonight has a Droid. I'll be checking out which one and how he likes it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That looks pretty sweet. Must be coming out for the Xmas season if they already have the flash posted. One of the guys I'm doing happy hour with tonight has a Droid. I'll be checking out which one and how he likes it.

If it is the original droid...eff that ****

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
If it is the original droid...eff that ****

What's the "original" droid? :roma:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the "original" droid? :roma:

Alright Pio, setting you straight.

Android is an operating system. Just like Windows Mobile, Symbian, etc..

People refer to is as "droid" sometimes, but a Droid is actually a phone by Motorola (it was one of the first phones with the Android OS).

Motorola has since come out with the Droid 2.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Yup, $49.95/month. Still a great deal (even with the "4G tax"). I will say that I rarely use 4G....at least in Philly, seems it's constantly gaining/losing connection, and the few times I've had it on it's seemed like a real battery killer. I leave wifi on throughout the day. Overall, while it's not perfect I'd make the switch again without hesitation.
I know. I'm so ******* tempted at this point but I REALLY don't want another Samsung phone unless its the new Google phone. I'd snag that HTC Merge in a heartbeat
Just remember - same operating system, totally different phones. HTC and Motorolla make wildly different devices.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You should give swype a try...I know people who were unwilling to go without a physical keyboard until they learned how to use swype (or maybe one of its clones...I don't really know how the whole alternative keyboard app landscape looks). Typing on a touchscreen may suck but apparently sliding your finger around is hella-fast
Everybody should just put swype on anyways. You can still type 1 letter at a time with it on, at least until you are used to swype. I can swype phrases almost as fast as I can type them on a desktop. The only real issue is it often has trouble with words that use two consecutive letters like good/god, feed/fed, and so on. The arrangement of the number pad with swype on sucks though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I know this will be met with scorn here, but thinking Samsung Fascinate. It's the Verizon Galaxy version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads