• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt cloth that doesn't crease as soon as I sit in a chair

Athwart

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on dress shirts. My office and those of our customers are business casual, typically separates rather than suits and sport coats only when meeting with clients.

I had some customs shirts made fairly recently. They turned out well, however after sitting in a desk chair for a while they are so creased that I don't feel like I can walk around without hiding them under a coat.

The picture shows what I mean - this is in a Thomas Mason Royal Twill 100/2 (FM 18474.16). It was nicely pressed when I started the day. I was very disappointed after hearing all about how great this cloth is.

Are there options for cloth that would look similar to this twill but not crease as easily? I have seen OTR Eton shirts with a similar look that don't seem to crease badly - am I better off with tailoring these instead of custom?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9421.jpeg
    IMG_9421.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 322

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure what to say ... cotton fabrics in weights suitable for dress shirts all wrinkle to varying degrees. Why would one expect a cotton shirt fabric to perform better than a much heavier cotton trouser fabric that also wrinkles after a few hours?

High thread counts and plain weaves generally wrinkle more easily. Try a royal or pinpoint oxford weave, ideally in a heavier fabric; those will wrinkle less but there isn't really a wrinkle-proof cotton dress shirt fabric.

Fit also matters. A shirt that is too tight will wrinkle more quickly than a shirt cut with an appropriate amount of ease so the fabric is under less tension.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on dress shirts. My office and those of our customers are business casual, typically separates rather than suits and sport coats only when meeting with clients.

I had some customs shirts made fairly recently. They turned out well, however after sitting in a desk chair for a while they are so creased that I don't feel like I can walk around without hiding them under a coat.

The picture shows what I mean - this is in a Thomas Mason Royal Twill 100/2 (FM 18474.16). It was nicely pressed when I started the day. I was very disappointed after hearing all about how great this cloth is.

Are there options for cloth that would look similar to this twill but not crease as easily? I have seen OTR Eton shirts with a similar look that don't seem to crease badly - am I better off with tailoring these instead of custom?

Thanks!
Usually, shirts marketed/labeled as iron-free are generally crease-free

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience Eton shirts fight off the creases better than all other brands I've personally worn.
But no cotton shirt will be crease/wrinkle free after a days wear.

Athwart

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on Eton. I am not expecting anything magical, I was just disappointed that the T.M. fabric was far worse than any other shirt I have had.

If anyone does have recommendations on particular other fabrics that are comparable to T.M. Royal Twill but better with regards to creasing I would appreciate the advice.

ASNY2VA

Reaction score
@Athwart
You might try Kamakura shirts here.

I have one of these shirts and while I am not normally a fan of "non-iron" or whatever label companies prefer, this one has a nice balance of little to no wrinkling without feeling completely synthetic or uncomfortable. Just be sure to check their size guide as there are different fits.

Good luck!

aj_style

Reaction score
Fit also matters. A shirt that is too tight will wrinkle more quickly than a shirt cut with an appropriate amount of ease so the fabric is under less tension.
This is precisely what I think it’s happening, in my case. My trim/slim fit shirts wrinkle or crease much easier than my classic fit shirts, but I still prefer the trim fit look.

My main issue is seat belt creases. Using a toddler seat belt adjustment pad helps reduce them. Other than that the shirt will hold up fairly decently throughout the day. I’m never worried how they look in the back, though.

Chicago48

Reaction score

Thanks!
I sell shirts and it seems that those with a little Polyester or Spandex are crease free. But it has to have a high % Cotton.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wrinkle free shirts are evil....
There are two types of wrinkle free shirts.
Pre- cured fabric or post production curing.

The first shirts were made using fabric that was finished with Liquid ammonia.
I believe, first developed in Switzerland.
After weaving the fabric was than sent to Austria for finishing because the swiss government would not allow it for health reasons.
Eton was one of the first companies to use this fabric extensively.
I purchased some Swiss wrinkle free fabric some 20 years ago. One was a twill weave.
Customers all said it was their favorite shirt and did not wrinkle.
The other was a broadcloth which I eventually discarded.
It was slick feeling. The seams puckered while sewing. This is referred to as slippage.
The shirts made from this fabric were refunded or just not delivered.

To get around the slippage issue. I believe it was the the TAL group developed the process of using regular shirt fabric. When sewing they inserted a fusing tape in the seams while sewing. Feel the shoulder seam of a non iron shirt. You will notice the seam is thicker then a shirt without this process.
All other parts of the shirt are stitched and glued.
The shirt is then dipped in a nasty chemical bath and baked.
Non-iron shirts have a weird sheen. They don't breath so they will feel warm They also do not last as long as untreated fabrics.
The treatment is rated for 25-30 washes before it loses wrinkle free properties

Mills also finished with formaldehyde and chemical resins to help keep wrinkles to a minimum.

I am not sure what mills are treating fabrics with today.
The mills can't call these fabrics non-iron.
They are usually referred to as travel fabrics.
Compare untreated vs treated fabric in the same construction. The difference in feel is very different.

I prefer wrinkles.....

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrinkle free shirts are awful. Treated with chemicals that clog up the fabric and make them non-breathable. Just buy 100% cotton untreated (as much as possible) shirts. All shirts will wrinkle throughout the day.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrinkle free shirts are evil....
There are two types of wrinkle free shirts.
Pre- cured fabric or post production curing.

The first shirts were made using fabric that was finished with Liquid ammonia.
I believe, first developed in Switzerland.
After weaving the fabric was than sent to Austria for finishing because the swiss government would not allow it for health reasons.
Eton was one of the first companies to use this fabric extensively.
I purchased some Swiss wrinkle free fabric some 20 years ago. One was a twill weave.
Customers all said it was their favorite shirt and did not wrinkle.
The other was a broadcloth which I eventually discarded.
It was slick feeling. The seams puckered while sewing. This is referred to as slippage.
The shirts made from this fabric were refunded or just not delivered.

To get around the slippage issue. I believe it was the the TAL group developed the process of using regular shirt fabric. When sewing they inserted a fusing tape in the seams while sewing. Feel the shoulder seam of a non iron shirt. You will notice the seam is thicker then a shirt without this process.
All other parts of the shirt are stitched and glued.
The shirt is then dipped in a nasty chemical bath and baked.
Non-iron shirts have a weird sheen. They don't breath so they will feel warm They also do not last as long as untreated fabrics.
The treatment is rated for 25-30 washes before it loses wrinkle free properties

Mills also finished with formaldehyde and chemical resins to help keep wrinkles to a minimum.

I am not sure what mills are treating fabrics with today.
The mills can't call these fabrics non-iron.
They are usually referred to as travel fabrics.
Compare untreated vs treated fabric in the same construction. The difference in feel is very different.

I prefer wrinkles.....

Most wrinkle-resistant shirts are sprayed with chemicals, like formaldehyde. Eton goes in and restructures the fibers of their shirts (few chemicals required). This also means the wrinkle-resistance lasts much longer.

Not here to promote Eton shirts. Just my experience with them.
I tried to find what (few chemicals required) but no info readily available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads