• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help zoning in on my August groom's outfit - afternoon into evening

der Koekje

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wedding is coming up this august. It'll be an outdoor wedding with the ceremony around 4 PM. It'll be pretty warm if weather conditions are normal. My fiancee will wear a vintage 1950's Italian dress so I'm trying to match her with a nod to 1930's - 1950's menswear styles with a nod to the US since I'm an American living in Europe. My mission is too look fresh and relaxed, aware of the occasion and accompanying etiquette but without adding too much weight to the whole idea and breaking rules where I see fit. It's a jovial celebration To that end I've come up with three ideas.

The first style would be this blazer, or this one, pairing it with white or tan pants, sand-colored suspenders and two-toned oxblood and brown penny loafers. Not sure where to go with the shirt and tie yet. I feel weird using club ties if I'm not a member of said club and I don't want to use my club ties where I'm a member of because it's a wedding and not a reunion. This look gives a relaxed, preppy feel with a wink to 1950's ivy league heritage whilst at the same time not making things too casual or too formal. It's a celebration after all.

The second style is something this blazer, but I'll request matching pants. My physique is similar to the model and I quite like this relaxed, slightly boxy but with a soft shoulder drop. Since I'm adjusting the blazer anyway I can just customize it further but unsure how I far I should take it with regards to lining. I'd probably stick to beiges and browns, and add a pop of color and patterns through my tie, pocket square, cufflinks and boutonniere. I think this is a great inbetween as far as formality goes while respecting the weather conditions, bit of a southern vibe.

The last one is based off a young Kennedy. I really like this ensemble, really well tailored too. It's a great take on a stroller suit that doesn't look outdated or tacky. Definitely the more formal option here though I'll need to find suitable materials to take on the heat. I'd almost feel like seersucker pants in the same grey/black would work here, can you imagine? Also slightly worried I wouldn't add enough color through the boutonniere (and maybe the tie?) alone.

So out of these styles, which one would you suggest? Would you suggest going toward a different direction, more Italian maybe?

Now to my main concern. In the evening we'll be transitioning from the wedding venue to the party venue and I'll transition into black tie (midnight blue, no frills though I do wear patent leather tassel loafers, that's my rebellious nature). Is it weird to dress more formal during the evening than during the ceremony? How did you handle this?

Thanks for reading and thinking with me. Let me know if you have any zany recommendations.

Last edited:

Leiker

Reaction score
If you go with the first outfit idea, consider wearing a spectator oxford shoe.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may get more engagement here if you attach photos rather than asking readers to negotiate links.

In general—yes, evening is when you would dress more formally, in what is sometimes called evening wear. Will your guests also have the opportunity to change clothes between the ceremony and the reception? (Perhaps this is a destination wedding at a resort…) If not, consider that it might look a bit stagey if you and your bride are the only ones who arrive to the party in different duds.

There is nothing wrong with creative, even outlandish, wedding attire if that is your style. My friends all went to art school; the wedding outfits, year in and year out, were memorable. I expect the funeral attire will be as well. What you want to avoid is making it “about” the clothes. It’s not a runway show, it’s a major life milestone that all your friends and family have gathered to celebrate. Wear what you like, have fun, dance with her mom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads