• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I’ve been wearing the wrong size shoe my entire life.

Citadel

Reaction score
New job, trying on my fathers hand me down dress shoes: too small in every way.

trying on my old dress shoes, same problem, blisters, not a great experience when walking around.

I am browsing my wishlist for this Christmas and come across an old bookmark for Allen Edmonds..

I search and see a brick and mortar near me, and express an interest in sizing not buying. The salesman is accommodating.

I show up, desneaker my winged abominations, and the sellers first words, “I bet you’ve been wearing the wrong size shoe your entire life”

confused I respond with I wear a 12-13 depending on the brand.

he says “watch this”

throws the shoe measuring device underfoot And explains:

you’re a size 10.5 4E. Only Alden sells shoes in that size anymore. Most retailers don’t carry wide options and so they tell you to size up instead.

I put on a size 11 3E park Avenue and while it wasn’t a perfect fit because I ALSO have high arches, it was much closer than I’d ever felt.

I’m now in search of a shoemaker that sells high arch, 4E size 11 or 10.5 dress shoes. It’s a business professional job so any color or style that fits a finance job will do. Recommendations welcome.

it looks like I may need hand made.I knew my feet were always big never knew they were WIDE.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience a few years ago Alden did not sell any shoes from it's
regular line in 4E. The modified last may very well offer this width, however
the styles look very orthopedic IMHO.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
In my experience a few years ago Alden did not sell any shoes from it's
regular line in 4E. The modified last may very well offer this width, however
the styles look very orthopedic IMHO.

The Modified last runs big. I’d think a 10.5 in 3E would be worth a try.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New job, trying on my fathers hand me down dress shoes: too small in every way.

trying on my old dress shoes, same problem, blisters, not a great experience when walking around.

I am browsing my wishlist for this Christmas and come across an old bookmark for Allen Edmonds..

I search and see a brick and mortar near me, and express an interest in sizing not buying. The salesman is accommodating.

I show up, desneaker my winged abominations, and the sellers first words, “I bet you’ve been wearing the wrong size shoe your entire life”

confused I respond with I wear a 12-13 depending on the brand.

he says “watch this”

throws the shoe measuring device underfoot And explains:

you’re a size 10.5 4E. Only Alden sells shoes in that size anymore. Most retailers don’t carry wide options and so they tell you to size up instead.

I put on a size 11 3E park Avenue and while it wasn’t a perfect fit because I ALSO have high arches, it was much closer than I’d ever felt.

I’m now in search of a shoemaker that sells high arch, 4E size 11 or 10.5 dress shoes. It’s a business professional job so any color or style that fits a finance job will do. Recommendations welcome.

it looks like I may need hand made.I knew my feet were always big never knew they were WIDE.
Check out my friend Kenwin from Cru Nonpareil. He makes shoes for super wide feet, maybe he can help you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads