• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

shootsfilmwithbullet

Reaction score
New question.

I've heard some say that you should not wear the WDJ to a black tie wedding. At least if you are only a regular uest. Because only the bride should wear white.

Thoughts?
The black tie/optional weddings I’ve been to have had no-one except the groom/father of the groom in a White DJ. But that’s just me and my farmer friends. It’s certainly not wrong, but you’re likely to attract more attention than most other men, and potentially more attention than the groom. Whether you want to do that or not is your call.

Jay C

Reaction score
Shoots -- that's kinda what I was thinking.

I'd only go WDJ unless I could make sure I'd have some company among the other regular wedding guests.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The black tie/optional weddings I’ve been to have had no-one except the groom/father of the groom in a White DJ. But that’s just me and my farmer friends. It’s certainly not wrong, but you’re likely to attract more attention than most other men, and potentially more attention than the groom. Whether you want to do that or not is your call.
Could be ‘cultural’ as well. For me, if prerequisites are met for a white dinner jacket (warm weather, black tie on the invite, event after 6pm), I wouldn’t even assume to be the only regular guest there wearing a white dinner jacket. Although, to be fair most people over here would probably wear a rental, and might (have to) opt for all black.
I’m sure @Andy57 and @Butler will have thoughts on this.

Butler

Reaction score
Could be ‘cultural’ as well. For me, if prerequisites are met for a white dinner jacket (warm weather, black tie on the invite, event after 6pm), I wouldn’t even assume to be the only regular guest there wearing a white dinner jacket. Although, to be fair most people over here would probably wear a rental, and might (have to) opt for all black.
Exactly!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this is a good answer.

Its not wrong to wear a white DJ. It fits the dress code. But you will likely stand out.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on a white (actually ivory) dinner jacket? I pretty much wear mine whenever I feel like it, but, to be fair, most of the time the weather wear I live is on the warmer side. I'm about to head off to Southern Africa for a couple of weeks and my ivory dinner jacket is the only one I'm bringing along. I figure I'll be just inside the tropics most of the time, so an ivory jacket should be just fine.

I think a wedding is a somewhat different matter. If the invitation specifies black tie, then that means a black (or perhaps midnight blue) jacket. If you want to wear an ivory jacket (or beige or anything else), I believe you should check with the groom first. I've never been to such a wedding, so I have no actual experience of this, however.

sarteorial

Reaction score
Long time lurker but first time poster here. Got married a few weeks ago and figured I'd pop in here to show you all the results! We had a black tie optional wedding at a vineyard and actually had 40-50% of the guests show in a dinner jacket/formal wear, which was really fun.

Steed made my tuxedo and I was really pleased with it. It wasn't fully bespoke (I went with the semi-bespoke process) and I actually am looking forward to working with them in the future on future projects. Fabric is wool-mohair and the facings are black grosgrain. Trousers had a very cool double pleat. I had Ascot Chang make a pique bib shirt, bow tie/cummerbund is from Drake's.

Very much fortunate to be in Washington, DC where there are formal events somewhat more frequently than most places, so eager to break this out again!

IE1A4558.jpg

IE1A7380.jpg

IE1A4296 (1).jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker but first time poster here. Got married a few weeks ago and figured I'd pop in here to show you all the results! We had a black tie optional wedding at a vineyard and actually had 40-50% of the guests show in a dinner jacket/formal wear, which was really fun.

Steed made my tuxedo and I was really pleased with it. It wasn't fully bespoke (I went with the semi-bespoke process) and I actually am looking forward to working with them in the future on future projects. Fabric is wool-mohair and the facings are black grosgrain. Trousers had a very cool double pleat. I had Ascot Chang make a pique bib shirt, bow tie/cummerbund is from Drake's.

Very much fortunate to be in Washington, DC where there are formal events somewhat more frequently than most places, so eager to break this out again!

View attachment 2189165

View attachment 2189167
View attachment 2189169
Your undies are showing!!!!! Bow your head in shame!

Kidding. Looks fantastic. Congrats :cheers:

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Oh believe me I felt a pang of shame as soon as my braces saw the light of day 😂
“Looking at braces is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at them. It's too risky. Ya get a sense of them and then you look away.”

(Repurposed Seinfeld quote)

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2189165

View attachment 2189167
View attachment 2189169
Really good example of classic black tie. You made an excellent choice to go with Steed. Their semi-bespoke option is a really good alternative to full bespoke. Matthew DeBoise uses it himself, so that's a pretty good indication.

Congratulations and welcome!

sarteorial

Reaction score
Really good example of classic black tie. You made an excellent choice to go with Steed. Their semi-bespoke option is a really good alternative to full bespoke. Matthew DeBoise uses it himself, so that's a pretty good indication.

Congratulations and welcome!

Very high praise coming from you, I'm honored! Matthew and Edwin were so great to work with and definitely helped get everything dialed in after they initially sent it to me. Can't wait to work with them again. Only problem now is that I have far too many fabrics bookmarked in comparison to funds available!

Jay C

Reaction score
I'm calling that a Flagrant -- 2.

First, underwear/braces being shown to all present.

Second, that tuxedo is being worn while the sun is still out. Suggests a grave violation of the 6 PM rule.

Horror upon horror!

I shudder to think what would have happened on here if Sartre had dispensed with the cummerbund...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78