• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mister McGee

Reaction score
My Chelsea 11 in Slate Suede are probably my most worn pair of boots (out of 15 or so pairs). They are very comfortable and versatile - perfect with smart casual jeans, cords or chinos.

Bodileys also do a C&J made suede Chelsea on a 325 last - also with storm welt but slightly sleeker last. https://www.bodileys.com/product/bodileys-stanhope-chelsea-boot-dark-brown-suede/

Pics of both below:

View attachment 2198965

View attachment 2198967

Chelsea 5 and 8 both very nice too, though 8 is definitely sleeker/smarter. For me I would wear the 8 out for dinner or to a smart function but 11 can do day, travel, work and evening duties.
Would you do the 5 or the 11? Isn’t the 11 bulkier? I was thinking that 5 might be a happy medium between smart formal and casual

T1mb0

Reaction score
Would you do the 5 or the 11? Isn’t the 11 bulkier? I was thinking that 5 might be a happy medium between smart formal and casual

5 would definitely be a happy medium and very versatile too, in my opinion. Are you looking for leather, roughout or suede?

The slate suede 11’s I have are very similar to a 5 just with a storm welt. The other scotch grain 11’s are a heavier looking boot with the vibram sole so more towards casual than the others.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
5 would definitely be a happy medium and very versatile too, in my opinion. Are you looking for leather, roughout or suede?

The slate suede 11’s I have are very similar to a 5 just with a storm welt. The other scotch grain 11’s are a heavier looking boot with the vibram sole so more towards casual than the others.
I’m interested in the brown leather

T1mb0

Reaction score
I’m interested in the brown leather
I think you’d be onto a winner there and a pretty much perfect pair of Chelsea boots.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. I have the Chelsea 11 in dark brown scotch grain and the Bodiley's Mayfair Stanhope Chelsea on the 325 last in dark brown suede. IMHO the 11 is chunkier and more casual so you're probably better off with the 5 or the Bodiley's model if you like suede

ha er

Reaction score
Would the number 8 look too sleek/slim for a casual look (i.e. straight cut denim/chinos)? My work is no longer formal (smart business casual is fine). I would like a Chelsea boot that I can get plenty of wear (office, weekend and easily packed for travel - walking around all day and still wear in the evening).
chelsea boots are not very formal (i.d. informal) in theirself, so the smarter nr. 8 on last 341 is the better for the named purpose, I‘d think.

nr. 5 / 11 are bulky, good for rural tracks or walking the dog. for my opinion not suitable for smart buisiness casual.

but at least it depends all on the shape of your feet. if your feet are average, take nr. 8; if you own more volumnous feet, take nr. 5!

Mister McGee

Reaction score
So do you think the #8's would look good with straight leg denim and chinos? Also, would they be comfortable to walk around in all day? Going from the R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman, I thought they looked really good with slim fit denim/pants but with a straight leg, they almost looked like western boots with the chiseled toe.

If I did go with the #8, I am interested in a brown leather. Anyone familiar with the chestnut burnished calf or dark brown burnishes calf? I don't mind burnished but thinking that too may make them more formal than casual looking.

My feet are average, width is between C/D but closer to D.

ha er

Reaction score
So do you think the #8's would look good with straight leg denim and chinos? Also, would they be comfortable to walk around in all day? Going from the R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman, I thought they looked really good with slim fit denim/pants but with a straight leg, they almost looked like western boots with the chiseled toe.
of course, it will look very fine with both of it!
i wear the brecon, a chukka boot on last 341, very versatile and comfortable all day long.

don‘t call the chelsea 8 chiseld, they are not. more almond shape toe.
really chiseld are the c&j lingfield chelseas on last 348, i love them to, but these are more on the formal side.

T1mb0

Reaction score
chelsea boots are not very formal (i.d. informal) in theirself, so the smarter nr. 8 on last 341 is the better for the named purpose, I‘d think.

nr. 5 / 11 are bulky, good for rural tracks or walking the dog. for my opinion not suitable for smart buisiness casual.

but at least it depends all on the shape of your feet. if your feet are average, take nr. 8; if you own more volumnous feet, take nr. 5!

I would respectfully completely disagree! The leather 5 (and the suede 11) are in no way too bulky for smart business casual and definitely not something I would personally wear for rural tracks and dog walking. The roughout versions of the 5 and scotch grain 11s - yes, but not the leather (or suede) that Mister McGee is looking at.

For me if you’re looking for a boot that can do business smart casual (chinos or smart jeans with a shirt and blazer) but also be good for the weekend, breaks away etc and will be smart but not ‘too smart’ then the leather 5 will be perfect. The 8’s can do it too but are definitely sleeker and will look smarter when ‘off duty’. Chestnut is lovely but is also further towards the formal compared to the brown leather 5.

Sorry if I missed in an earlier post, but do you have opportunity to try them both on? I think your choice (either way) would become easy to make once seeing them on your feet.

ha er

Reaction score
in the end a question of personal favour...

maybe this picture can help a bit:
1000019336.jpg

Mister McGee

Reaction score
I would respectfully completely disagree! The leather 5 (and the suede 11) are in no way too bulky for smart business casual and definitely not something I would personally wear for rural tracks and dog walking. The roughout versions of the 5 and scotch grain 11s - yes, but not the leather (or suede) that Mister McGee is looking at.

For me if you’re looking for a boot that can do business smart casual (chinos or smart jeans with a shirt and blazer) but also be good for the weekend, breaks away etc and will be smart but not ‘too smart’ then the leather 5 will be perfect. The 8’s can do it too but are definitely sleeker and will look smarter when ‘off duty’. Chestnut is lovely but is also further towards the formal compared to the brown leather 5.

Sorry if I missed in an earlier post, but do you have opportunity to try them both on? I think your choice (either way) would become easy to make once seeing them on your feet.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
in the end a question of personal favour...

maybe this picture can help a bit:
View attachment 2199129
Thanks, this definitely helps. Looking at it this way, I can see the chestnut burnished color would not work for me and while I like the #8, I think the #5 would serve better for my needs of an all purpose Chelsea that could be worn with chinos/denim for business casual, weekend wear and popped in the suitcase for travel.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I go to a cobbler and put a Ridgeway sole on something like a CJ Chelsea if I want something with grip for winter? What does a job like that cost?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I go to a cobbler and put a Ridgeway sole on something like a CJ Chelsea if I want something with grip for winter? What does a job like that cost?

Had my Islay switched over to the Vibram equivalent of a Ridgeway. Top tier cobbler in Chicago charged me $195. That did include a new corkbed, midsole and completely new heel stack.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHarris