• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick point of note re: discussion of new black/blue Rolex GMT BLNR - am on vaca in the US Virgin Islannds right now and AH Riise at St Thomas (Rolex AD) had it in stock. $8,550 asking.
Niiiiice....sounds like the trip to St. Thomas pays for part of the Black/Blue GMT
wink.gif

I think that you likely hit the nail on the head. I really do think it is the location, because I have not had this kind of treatment in other cities. Quite the opposite really. You know, I hate to say it, but it really may just be part of living in certain parts of the American south. I am a preppy, clean cut, WASPY male, about as nondescript as they come. I have had bad experiences, but I have heard substantially worse stories from my close friends.

I appreciate the anecdote! That is really a very nice story, and I am sure it was a great formative experience. I think that spending time with younger customers will often pay dividends further down the road.
So sad that some SAs just don't get it, and treat future customers like a waste of their time. If it weren't for customers, and future customers the stores wouldn't need SAs. When I was a SA at a high end clothing store, I always enjoyed waiting on people. Showing people great items, interacting with them, and helping them see possible ways to enhace their wardrobe, It sure beat the heck out of straightening items on a quiet day. I always find going and seeing great SAs are like seeing great friends. You always look forward to stopping by to see them, and they make you feel welcome, treat you like a good friend, show you cool things whether you are there to buy that day or not, and seeing you is never a waste of their time.

Frills or anyone: Do you have to pay import tax when bringing that BLNR back into the states? I get confused on declarations and such when not in one of the usual 50 states.
I believe you have to declare the items when you come back to the states.
She's HOT!!! But I hope the wrist shot is your wrist and not hers
wink.gif

What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice
shog[1].gif
And that is enough.

96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Fantastic books. Yes, you can get the info on the net, but there is something about having some great watch reference books. Now you just need the Daytona Book to complete the Trilogy.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to say this Hodinkee article on the RL Khaki vindicates me, but it doesn't really... I'm still not ashamed I liked the watch, but I didn't buy one, so I guess I didn't like it that much. The comments section reads a lot like the TWAT reaction to my saying I liked it when I saw it in person.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...-safari-chronometer-live-pics-details-pricing

In other news... tried on a Gray Pano-Lunar today.... almost certainly my next purchase, and probably within a year. I'm a little smitten.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news... tried on a Gray Pano-Lunar today.... almost certainly my next purchase, and probably within a year. I'm a little smitten.

It's a beautiful watch - just gorgeous, really. I had one in hand that was offered at an exceptional price and it nearly became mine. Alas, I have a new rule that I will not permit myself to break: any new watch must be easily legible without resort to reading glasses. The small subdial for hour / minutes combined with the low contrast between the hands and the grey dial just blew this one up as a purchase option. And I was very disappointed, because I had seen any number of web pics where the hands really seemed to pop. Oh well, for those with better eyes than mine, I heartily endorse this watch.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting reads on some SAs.

Frills or anyone: Do you have to pay import tax when bringing that BLNR back into the states? I get confused on declarations and such when not in one of the usual 50 states.

I believe you have to declare the items when you come back to the states.

Yes, you have to declare items you purchased when you leave St Thomas to go back to the mainland. You're allowed up to $1,600 of duty-free purchases per person (so for a family of four that's $6,400). The jewelers I spoke to said "the customs agents usually don't give you a hard time" but I don't really know what that means: if I got the BLNR for $8,550 would they charge me for part of it that's above the $8,200 I was allowed (there were five of us in the family traveling at the time)? Will they just wave me through?

BUY IT NOW!!! if not for you, for me!

Alas, no BLNR for me this time around. It was a lovely piece, tried it on the wrist. The blue/black bezel really pops. But - believe it or not - I exercised some decent willpower not just for myself but also for the wife: I've been thinking of getting her either an Everose Daytona and had her try on an all-platinum 218206 Day-Date. Jayzus what heft! And check out the discount: US retail price of about $60,000... offered by AH Riise at just slightly above $50,000. I mean, that's a larger discount than the asking price from some gray dealers I've seen around!

But - not for us this time around. Enjoying the current collection and no real deep hankering that's driven me to get a next piece. We did, however, buy some earrings for our daughters (and OK, my wife got some earrings herself hehe).

Nuke - adding to everyone else's comments around here: that's unacceptable behavior. Horrible. The SAs I spoke to in St Thomas were all very kind and professional, even though I walked in wearing a shirt, shorts and flip flops, sweating profusely from the heat and humidity. Sorry, stitchy, I didn't bring any G&Gs or Corthays with me on this trip, although I might have looked slightly odd wearing them with flip flops.

Of course the Rolex/AH Riise SA did immediately notice my 5711. So hard to discount behavior based on that. However, I suspect SAs in the Caribbean ought to be used to tourists walking in dressed really casually - can't really tell how much they'd spend based on how they're dressed!

On another note, my almost-four year old likes Dad's watches and shoes. The bracelet may need to be resized somewhat but I dare say she can carry off the 5711 in this pic. The boat shoes are a little bit big though.

Cylon

Reaction score
I had one such experience with a JLC AD in DC (hows that for acronym soup?). The man was quite condescending, explaining the differences between quartz, automatic and manual as if I was 5 years old. When I took a stroll around the floor to the other cases he kept not so discreetly directing me back to Frederique Constant, Tag Heuer and Maurice Lacroix. Nothing wrong with those brands, but I'm not sure why you're making assumptions about me based on my age/appearance.

I won't go back with my MUT Moon on display, but I will ALWAYS tell people to avoid them like the plague. Karma. Plain and simple.

I would rather deal with my local AD in the tysons corner area. They let me try on anything and that includes Lange and Patek, even though I tell them up front its just to drool. They graciously oblige. Karma is also at play there too because thats where I ended up buying my JLC.

Just like Newcomer said, what goes around comes around.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one such experience with a JLC AD in DC (hows that for acronym soup?). The man was quite condescending, explaining the differences between quartz, automatic and manual as if I was 5 years old. When I took a stroll around the floor to the other cases he kept not so discreetly directing me back to Frederique Constant, Tag Heuer and Maurice Lacroix. Nothing wrong with those brands, but I'm not sure why you're making assumptions about me based on my age/appearance.

I won't go back with my MUT Moon on display, but I will ALWAYS tell people to avoid it like the plague. Karma.

I would rather deal with my local AD in the tysons corner area. They let me try on anything and that includes Lange and Patek, even though I tell them up front its just to drool. They graciously oblige.

I do not know any SA who can draw meaningful distinctions between who's there to drool and who will never purchase a watch ever again or who's there to drool and who will eventually purchase a watch, if they are treated right So to me the best response seems to be "treat every customer right, within limits of time/attention and the needs of other customers."

I will never understand SAs who mistreat prospects.

Cylon

Reaction score
To relate to the Caribbean, I went on a cruise on 4th of July weekend. Went to Rolex AD in the Bahamas and tried on the Pelagos. Love it though I would have preferred it slightly thinner--that is to say, more like the submariner than the seadweller. Dont need the gas valve. Oh well.

In other news I'm really liking IWC at the moment. The 7 day portuguese is calling my name after the recent pic
censored.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frilly - great pic. i am amazed at your new found restraint!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads