1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Beautiful! That's a great store too. My go-to knife is a Hattori FH gyuto I got from them. Back to watches ...

2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

LOL @ mimo's stapler. And his exotic watch photos. Double tourbys!!

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Second that, that is cool!!!

Cheers @RogerP

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Why not start it yourself? We've certainly inserted every other hobby into this thread already :laugh:

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I find this IWC so attractive. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I can't afford an IWC right now, so I maybe will stick win a Hamilton model that looks a bit like the IWC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm not convinced that getting a substitute is the way forward. But I understand the love for the IWC Portuguese Chrono...was looking at it just yesterday - and exactly that version, too. Even after playing with the half million dollar "Quatuor", the PC still has charisma. How did you like the Ingenieur Perpetual Chrono? I think it looks like it's mother was an Ingy but its father was Richard Mille. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

And to add to this, the Hamilton version is going to be roughly $800-$1,000 USD while the IWC will be in the $7K-$8K range. Enough of those "well I will just get the cheaper model" and you are at the price of the one you wanted all along.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I dunno. I've owned both watches in the past and enjoyed both. They are closer in quality than they are in price, IMO. The IWC is clearly superior in case finishing, but I didn't find the dial work to be that far ahead. The watches shared essentially the same movement and my Hamilton was the more accurate of the two.

They are miles apart in price. I don't advocate that anyone purchase 8 or 10 less expensive watches instead of the single watch they really want. But if someone can't swing the price of the IWC and likes the Hamilton on its own merits they will not be passing up on a watch 8 or 10 times better, IMO.

[​IMG]

While digging up old pics I found one of my wife's IWC - not sure if I have posted it here before, so here it is:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Love that IWC Chrono but still can't take my eye away from the cut in half 12 & 6.

I was looking at one of these IW502213 yesterday, just playing. Absolutely gorgeous, but still a truncated 12...

[​IMG]

10. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

It's funny - I got some Luke warm feedback on the aqua terra... I like it a lot, but looked at the jlc master calendar next to it and both girlfriend and I agreed the jlc won (hands down). A little bit more and probably for different events / functions. But... What can you do.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I've always thought of the Aqua Terra as a perfect one watch that looks great in all situations. Nice movement. Problem is, it's just one of those watches I will never lust after.

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

3 o'clock date undoes the AT for me. :(

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I didn't understand the last part. I'm 26, started working by myself. I can't afford an IWC and even less here in Mexico were it's going to cost at least 40% more and then do the exchange type. Also there's the insecurity factor, that even if I could afford it and love it, it could mean loosing my hand if I wear it on the streets. I think the Hamilton looks nice and works nicely but I'm not going to go by saying that I have a cheaper version of the IWC, that simply does not make sense to me. :(

Roger came in my defense! :D

And how much is the difference between the Omega and the JLC? :D

Why? I agree with you in the first part. :)

:(

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I really dig the AT 8500 by the way. Worth every penny.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

@Betelgeuse Well TWAT doesn't want you to risk losing your hand for a watch so the Hamilton will do. Was just pointing out that the Hamilton may not stop the itch of owning the IWC but if we are talking body parts for ownership then it is not worth it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Oh now I understand what you meant. Yeap definitely the itch of the IWC would not go. When I can afford one, I will buy it and wear it inside the house and admire it. I mean, it's so cool that it's worth just admiring it. :lol: :lol:

1 person likes this.
  17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

A little late the party. Love the knives and watches talk. Huge Spyderco fan myself. RogerP - I was hoping the blade talk would get you to post again! Long time, friend I also thought of another pairing for fun - watches and optics. Would love to see what you guys are rocking. I'll start IWC and SALT. These are hands down the best glasses I've ever owned. A clear step above my lovely Persols even. If you're ever in need of some great sunglasses give them a try. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

Yeah - I hear you. The AT I liked the most was the GMT. I can get that for USD $5,700 or the jlc for USD $8,550. So yeah - I can see your point.

I couldn't imagine living in a place where I'd be worried about my hand being chopped off for a watch. Or indeed - for anything.

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The dealer's name is in the photo, @jhcam8

20. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Lovely watch mate!
    I thought the JLC was going to be near to the omega price but anyway I bet the JLC looks amazing! Great buy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.