• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick point of note re: discussion of new black/blue Rolex GMT BLNR - am on vaca in the US Virgin Islannds right now and AH Riise at St Thomas (Rolex AD) had it in stock. $8,550 asking.

Buy it! In fact, everyone buy one so when I'm ready for Rolex #3 next year (#2 is going to be an LVc), the pre-loved market is flooded with them!

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know, it just depends on the AD. Normally I wear my MUT Moon when I go watch shopping, but that really has not led to much. You would think that wearing a nicer watch would garner some attention, but alas. Two of the three ADs in my area that I have visited have not let me touch, hold, or try on a Patek. They usually say something along the lines of "we have Hamilton / B&M / whatever else" that may be better for you. Or "these are far outside of your price range." Which is kind of funny, as my next watch purchase may very well be a 5711, after some saving. In regards to my JLC, I have had some that have asked whether my watch is a Seiko or Bulova. Some that have suggested that I step up from the "girly" watch I have on my wrist to a real man's watch. It has been a nightmare. However, I have met three people that have really been very pleasant, and I will go back to them. Largely, however, I think I will stick to ordering from you or from Govberg.

incompetent sales people discriminate all over the world. I understand Oprah Winfrey had similar treatment when trying to buy a handbag recently in Switzerland.

On the other hand good sales people like the one Dino mentioned may not make a sale at the time but alre likely to in the future as this story from another forum indicates
"Several years ago when the wife and I were still living fairly modestly, for some reason we received an invitation from Maserati to go test drive a Quattroporte, in exchange for a $100 gift card to the local Fleming's steak house. I think it might because we attended a Lexus ride and drive event a few months earlier, purely to have fun as we had no intention of buying a Lexus either before or after the event.

We scheduled an appointment with our local Maserati dealer and pulled up in our Toyota Corolla. Without batting an eye, the sales rep took our $100 gift card offer card, and went to grab a set of keys. He explained the features and functions of the car in detail, and then took us on a test drive. Once we got to an empty office park (it was a Saturday), he handed the keys to me and told me to drive as fast as I was comfortable. I kept it sane, but I may have driven faster than the speed limit that day. I took several laps around the more or less circular office park's main loop street. The big car with the throaty Ferrari V8 muscling its way around the curve - the sound, the vibrations, the smell, were all very intoxicating.

After we went back to the dealer, he signed and stamped the offer card, and told us not to hesitate to contact him with any questions. It was painfully obvious that we weren't going to buy a Maserati anytime soon, but he never let it show one bit. I might as well have pulled up in a late model Porsche 911 Turbo and told him I was looking to exchange it for something more practical. Ever since then, my wife has always had a soft spot in her heart for the Maserati Quattroporte.

So we could say that without that exposure, I may still be focused on the M5. It was a good investment that Maserati made in earning me as a customer. I am looking forward to owning this vehicle very much.
"

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...]Some that have suggested that I step up from the "girly" watch I have on my wrist to a real man's watch.[...]

That reminds me of a few years ago when I was visiting Vienna and stopped at a store to check out Nomos. The saleswoman was polite and courteous, but said that Nomos didn't make any watches that would suit me; the trend is toward big watches, you see, so I should be looking for a big watch. I was wearing 35 mm that day, so it was somewhat :facepalm:.

If she'd used the word "girly", though, I probably would have been annoyed. Seriously, that's just a plain stupid thing to say. Not to mention that large, gaudy watches can carry the whiff of attention-seeking, which isn't exactly the most masculine of qualities. Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

The store was good other than that, but it was a bit strange to be told that I shouldn't consider something after specifically requesting it, and while wearing something similar. I had a look a few Nomos despite the well-intentioned lady's doubts. The quality was impressive, and I preferred them to the oversized options she suggested. It wasn't a problem and it wouldn't put me off going back there — I just thought of it as some insight on why some might wear watches that don't fit.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting reads on some SAs.

Frills or anyone: Do you have to pay import tax when bringing that BLNR back into the states? I get confused on declarations and such when not in one of the usual 50 states.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting reads on some SAs.[...]

I'm sure they have some stories about customers that would make the bad-salesman/woman ones pale in comparison. Does anyone have a difficult-watch-customer experience to share?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
today i leaned something new and startling.

late model daytonas, not sure beginning what year, do not have the serial number engraved between the lugs. its only on the inner bezel ring. i almost had a heart attack before i verified that fact.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

today i leaned something new and startling.

late model daytonas, not sure beginning what year, do not have the serial number engraved between the lugs. its only on the inner bezel ring. i almost had a heart attack before i verified that fact.

not sure exactly when that stopped but it was recently...the DeepSea Dweller was the first to have that engraved on the rehaut.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right now i think pretty much all models have the serial number inside the bezel, visible to the naked eye. do you know of any other models that have no serial number engraving between the lugs? the late model ones i have seen have both between the lugs and inside the bezel.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

right now i think pretty much all models have the serial number inside the bezel, visible to the naked eye. do you know of any other models that have no serial number engraving between the lugs? the late model ones i have seen have both between the lugs and inside the bezel.

not sure. Im fairly certain my GMT IIc has it betwixt the lugs and at 6 on the rehaut....maybe its only on the deepsea and daytonas? honestly i have no idea though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool. ill have to investigate!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill tell you whats up. :nodding:

NonServiam

Reaction score
What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice :embar: And that is enough.

96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation :slayer:

20130823_163351_zpsf519f5b7.jpg

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice
shog[1].gif
And that is enough.

96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

20130823_163351_zpsf519f5b7.jpg
Whoa, great books for sure.

Luv the Red Sub, very nice..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads