• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***

astris

Reaction score

anyone who knows me (or follows my instagram feed) knows that I consume enough craft beer to be considered by some to be kind of an alcoholic), right now I am very depleted but I've been saving this bad boy for a minute.

Probably the only saison I've liked. I just drank it in the bottle shop. Pretty spoiled with the options here.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know next to nothing about liquor, reading this thread is a treat.

Just to note,

For those interested in more in-depth discussions of some of these things, the threads in the Food + Drink subforum can be very informative (the scotch thread in particular), so I would also recommend reading there for those people who haven't gotten their fill.​

Last edited:

The Rural Juror

Reaction score
My drink of choice while at home is an old-fashioned. It is easy to keep the ingredients on hand: dissolve a sugar cube in a little water or directly in the 2 oz of bourbon then dash in some bitters. You can add a slice of orange if you like, but I rarely do.

These ice cube trays can really up your home cocktails:
http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-KING-C...363281029&sr=8-1&keywords=large+ice+cube+tray

My wife also got me a spherical ice cube tray which she bought from a place called umami world (she learned about it on styleforum, while looking for xmas presents for me).

Finally, the weather will be warming up before we know it, so I thought I would share my favorite drink for when the weather turns really hot in the summer: pastis (pa-STEES). I think it's very similar to ouzo. Just add a little water and you're good to go.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
skyy does not even taste good in cocktails. would not drink ever.

wootx

Reaction score

Good to know! I'm far from enjoying vodka, and know nothing about it, but some people seem to like the taste so I'd like to have a bottle handy. Any recommendations for a decent one?

js0930

Reaction score
Many of the small batch vodkas are pretty decent, especially Crater Lake Vodka. Ketel One is quite good as well and is the drink of choice of a friend who only drank it neat.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never tried skyy vodka. Is it any good?

Skyy Vodka is what you drink Sophomore year in college when you decide you've drank enough plastic handled bottles of Fleischmann's. It's a step up from the bottom, but one only a baby step.

If you want a cheap vodka, try New Amsterdam. It's my typical choice when I'm hosting a large party and would rather not have my premium spirits out.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Not really a vodka drinker, but I'll second Sobieski. Cheap and honest and doesn't taste like rubbing alcohol. Made by the same folks who make Blevedere.

For those who've expressed interest in rum, I'd suggest picking up a bottle of Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva... Relatively inexpensive ($30-40 a bottle) and a GREAT after dinner/cigar rum. More interesting to my palate than Zacapa XO, which is many, many times more expensive.

Generally with rum, you've got a few different styles:

Spanish (dark, sweet, smooth)
English (full bodied, "funky," off-dry)
French (almost has some tequila qualities... this is because the French make rum, or "rhum agricole," out of fresh sugar cane juice rather than molasses. The Brazilians do this too, and call it cachaca)
Cuban/Puerto RIcan (very light-bodied, clean)

Of these, I tend towards the English, Spanish and French varieties more often than not, particularly those produced in Venezuela (Diplomatico, Pampero, Santa Theresa), Guyana (El Dorado... the 8, 12 and 15 years), Trinidad (Angostura 7 year is a current inexpensive favorite) and Martinique (Rhum JM 1997 is the very best in it's class, it's also very expensive).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads