***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Synthese, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Nil

Nil Senior member

My standard warm weather tequila drink is the Paloma.

3 oz tequila
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    3 oz grapefruit soda
    Garnish with lime

If you don't have grapefruit soda on hand, go with equal parts grapefruit juice and soda water, and then a hint of sugar.

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

the only soda i mix tequila with is grapefruit jarritos. it's basically a ghetto paloma. (here's the upscale version)

edit: hah, nil beat me to it. i actually like the soda version just as much as the real-grapefruit-juice version. it's definitely a good option instead of a margarita.

I saw a tequila cocktail that sounded great at either the breslin or john dory in NYC, but I can't seem to find it. it sounded good but not like anything i'd tried. i'm guessing any tequila cocktail with some sugar and citrus is going to taste pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. Nil

Nil Senior member

:lol: Jarritos is the traditional soda for Palomas, but I usually use an Izze. It's a little cleaner tasting.

Another tequila cocktail that's pretty good is the Malcolm Lowry, named after the famously drunken writer of Under the Volcano.

1 oz tequila
    1/4 oz white rum
    1/4 - 3/4 oz triple sec
    3/4 oz lemon juice

Shaken over ice and strained into a salt-rimmed glass.

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I will be trying that this summer.

5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

Does anyone know any good cocktails that use Fernet Branca as a major ingredient

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Major ingredient? That sounds unpleasant :embar:

7. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

It doesn't survive the trip over here intact.

I had it in a Belgian beer bar in Copenhagen and it was a totally different beer than a bottle I bought here in the US. It's supposed to drink like a brown ale with the alcohol mostly hidden, over here it was kinda disgusting and syrupy with the alcohol very evident. When it's fresh it's very easy to drink and by the time you're on your 3rd one you're wondering "what in the fuck just happened?" [​IMG]

8. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

I like tequila too. You can make a great marg that isn't sweet, just use fresh squeezed lime without or with just a touch of simple syrup.

9. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

I just got into whiskey and so far Woodford Reserve is a standout.

I like beer and right now Green Flash is my favorite brewery... everything they make is awesome and their West Coast IPA is the best IPA I've ever had.

For Vodka, try American Harvest. It's organic and amazing... tastes like spring water.

And Gin... Hendricks, Cap Rock (a local organic gin), Junipero...

10. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

Just wanted to second that sazeracs are great cocktails -if you can get a good one when you're visiting New Orleans I definitely recommend it- and to promise to contribute to this thread when I have more time :) Great first post synth!

11. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

This got answered, more or less, but if you have a good liquor store that sells Pappy, they can try to get an allocation of the limited release ones. Maybe not the 23 but the 20 or others from that distillery. Like a lot of things, a relationship can go a long way, and if you can get one going w/ a better bottle shop it opens doors. This really varies, though, based on your states liquor laws. In Oregon, it's state run, so all shops basically deal w/ the same structure, which makes it a little more of an even playing field. That said, the shop downtown that serves a lot of resto/bar buyers is going to have a very different take on things than the one in a crappy area mostly interested in moving pints.

A local spot makes a drink that's just Fernet and house made root beer. I doubt it would be as anywhere near as good w/ A&W or something, but this one is fantastic.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

random booze thought:

I have had a lot of luck when I go to a proper bar and just order something "interesting, with gin, not too sweet," no further instructions.

The bartenders seem to like the challenge and are probably thrilled to have something to do other than make another cosmo. I have never been disappointed and have learned a lot about liquor this way.

Try it. It is like booze omakase......

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1, but not recommended at dive bars ^_^

14. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Just had Sake for the first time tonight (on the house at some crazy Japanese bar), was delicious

15. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

there's a sushi bar in baltimore we used to go to all the time that has sake/kirin for $7 (3 sake bombs worth). a couple rounds of that and you're solidly turnt. some of my best nights started at that bar. when did i become so lame and stop going out :(