• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
Agreed on too many Washington cuts. Peak lapels and higher waisted pants are too "flashy" for most industries that require a suit or uncomfortable. I'd appreciate more London, Lazio or Napoli fits.

Some pinstripes that are more toned down than their loud stripes would also be appreciated.

I'm not very impressed with this collection so far...

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these are the new seasonals and that the mainstays currently available will remain available. For example, I cannot imagine they would cease offering the navy suit in the Napoli and Sienna cuts and neither is listed as a Fall offering.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like their current and fall collection a lot. When you consider their demographics and the current styling of suiting especially in Europe, Suitsupply's collection makes a lot a lot sense. I mean they are a European company and if people desire a more subdued suit J.Crew offers slim fitting and more classic designs.

What would be sweet is if they designed a Washington Fit suit sans the peak lapels. True they have other fits which opt for notch lapels however I found those fits to be not as slim fitting for my taste.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
I'd agree getting rid of the peak lapels, and the higher rise of the trousers would make for a great suit. I'm happy with the trimness of the Washington, just not those two details.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While delving through details, I came across what looks like a recent bullet point on a lot of their suits:

#3 Sous Bras

???

Thinking someone on styleforum would have explained it, a little googling turned up lots of Bras and some Sous, but no Sous Bras. Expanding the search to all the interwebs found this post from one Martin Stall at The Fedora Lounge ( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-22728.html ):

I'm not sure what the correct term is in English, in Holland we use the french sous-bras (under-arm).

One of the functions, and a very important one, is to prevent the lining of the coat from being affected by the wearer's perspiration. There is no particular excessive wear and tear on that part of the coat, but sweat can be very caustic depending on the person. By putting sous-bras in a coat, they will be the part that gets eaten.

Don't believe me? It's no joke. With some people, sweat can be very very aggressive. I knew a man who cold only wear gold-rimmed spectacles, because that was the only metal that could resist his sweat. All his other specs broke in two over the nose. A very extreme example, but the application to coats is that if one perspires a lot, whether it's because of the climate or because of the physiology of the person, the lining is prone to start deteriorating. Sweat pads (ghastly word, actually, no?) prevent this.

And they are far more easy to replace than an entire lining.

I was familiar with the little pads as described, but had never heard them described as "sous-bras". Learn something new everyday!

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"Sous-bras" is simply French for "under-arm" ("sous" = under; "bras" = arm). Many manufacturers would refer to these as perspiration guards, or sweat shields.

Hotel Guy

Reaction score
Yea I definitely sweat more with these more fitted jackets that get tight under the armpit, so its a good feature to have!

Berzerk91

Reaction score
Picked this up a few weeks ago at the NYC store. Washington in a size 35 with some alterations.. length, sleeve length, taken out a little. First "real" suit. Thoughts/opinions/alterations?

33uwjv4.jpg

zbxe.png

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked this up a few weeks ago at the NYC store. Washington in a size 35 with some alterations.. length, sleeve length, taken out a little. First "real" suit. Thoughts/opinions/alterations?
33uwjv4.jpg

zbxe.png

Wore the same suit for my wedding-

ran into a problem with their sizing- luckly i ordered the 38 and the 38s just in case. the 38 was WAY too long on me but fit everywhere else and the 38s was a good length but just totally out of wack in the shoulders. ended up taking the 38, having it shortened (and now it looks silly because of the bunched vents) but oh well. live and learn.

wondering if i should try the 36 based on all of this info?

Berzerk91

Reaction score
I would probably try a 36 in a non-Washington cut and have it taken out if necessary. If the 38S was out of whack in the shoulders a 36 Washington will probably be worse.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

33uwjv4.jpg

zbxe.png

I'll volunteer that the peak lapels protruding above your shoulder line is ridiculous for a "real suit". It's probably just your posture, but the fact that you're only leaning slightly and the cut/design still does that strikes me as a warning. On closer inspection of the peak on your other shoulder, which looks to be lying mostly normal, is practically at your shoulder line too.

I suspect a lot of normal activity is going to result in those peaks being way too much on display.

Last edited:

jhende7

Reaction score
Anybody notice the "size" advice section for some suits (the Washington for example) seems really messed up. Put in my measurements for the Washington and it recommended a '44'. Not a 44R or 44L or 44S just a 44. Unless they have weird sizing for the Washington I think somethings off. Particularly because I have a 37-38 inch chest.

Anybody care to comment?

Last edited:

zero neck

Reaction score
Anyone know off hand if ss makes any blazers or sport coats in same or similar cut as London or Napoli? Thx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads