1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

My 2 cents, the darker navy pinstripe will stand out less than the lighter blue. Finance folks are used to seeing banker stripes, but this looks closer to a solid unless you're really looking close.

BTW, "quick suit" is never a good idea. Now you're having to compromise.

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

DC store opened today at 11. Anyone go?

3. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

I went today, the store is small but has a decent selection of suits, shirts, ties and accessories. In the back of the store is a made to measure department. The salesmen showed me several fabrics and provided information about the program. I currently use EnglishAmerican in westminster MD and will probably continue, but I may try them out. Their off the rack suits are nice but some of them are way to fashion forward for my taste (some of the lapels are absolutely cartoonish and ridiculous).

I am a 40L with a slim/athletic build and the suits fit very well for me with only a few alterations needed. I am not that crazy about the button stance but most are not too extreme. It was a decent experience and I may purchase a navy next month.

4. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

how was their selection of SCs?

And is their location really in the 4 seasons building?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. JBG89

JBG89 Senior member

don't wear pinstripes to an interview (assuming your doing a front office interview) would prefer the light blue, although not ideal i would say

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Wrong. Cousin Doughnuts was right to suggest a navy pinstripe over a light blue suit for a finance interview.

7. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I agree with you New Shoes.. I would prefer a dark navy or a dark grey.. but if the choice is between a light blue or a dark pinstripe grey, I will choose the dark pinstripe grey everytime.. light blue is sort of informal..office appropriate but not for the first interview where you are making the first impression..

8. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Really wish SS made their suits with lower buttoning points. I don't understand why they think, as they've declared, that higher points are more fashionable.

9. timotune

timotune Senior member

Sienna buttoning point actually is not high.

10. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Timo, didn't you order a Havana jacket? I was wondering how that jacket looked in person.

11. timotune

timotune Senior member

didn't arrive yet... It is gone from the website, too (wasn't the windowpane one).
    I hope it will come soon, they promised to deliver until September.

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

Just ordered Havana jacket, Copenhagen jacket and chinos. I'll post when they arrive.

13. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

Timotune, do you have the productcode for the jacket?

14. NormsR

NormsR Member

I
    nterview with Fokke de Jong during the opening of the store in Washington.

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

THouhgt I would post a reply as I mentioned some time ago that I had a MTM jacket made. The reports are largely positive with one major negative. Will post pics later if interest.

A reminder, in case you need one. Was vacationing in Amsterdam so was in the MTM shop by the museum quarter. Really nice staff, cool store. perhaps one of the first? it wasn't gigantic by any means, but the two MTM guys were very helpful. ordered a jacket on the Roma fit, which has intermediate shoulders versus the London, which has most, and the Napoli, I think, which had the least. They made adjustments, waist suppression, sleaes, and lowered the button point. Also I had them take up the arm hole a little, and they did some sort of modification on the point where the chest meets the shoulder, I think to try to deal with my sloping shoulder a bit.

Anyway, I was doing a bit of traveling in Europe so arranged for it to be sent to Antwerp where I just was. no charge for the ship, and I think it took about 4-5 weeks to make, cut fabric in Italy, sewn in China, then back to Europe. The total cost was on a special, so 299 euros, which after VAT rebate of 34 dollars amounted to about 330 or so. I tout it was a deal. It was with their basic fabrics, all wool.

Ok, tried it on in ANTWERP. that shop is much bigger, lots of nice looking things for fall including some nice scarves, pouchets, and jackets. My jacket looked rather nice...will post picks in the next few days. the back doesn't seem to have any of the unsightly rippling from OTR jackets that need to be altered, suppression at waist was good, though perhaps slightly higher on the button stance than I would like. But it looks good, I think.

only trouble. I feel the arm hole pressing into my front shoulder. see A Tailor's recent post on this. The thought is that they didn't account sufficiently for my forward shoulder. It's vaguely uncomfortable, though when I'm focused on something else, I don't notice it, though at the end of the day it bothers me more. I had felt some tiGhtening around the arm pit in the store, and originally thought it might be the arm hole height, but the woman at Antwerp who helped me thought there was a enough space, and I used Despos measure, two fingers from arm pit to bottom of hole. so, that was ok. A Tailor explains what went wrong. Anyway it was suggested to me that it MIT just be a feature of the hier arm hole, and something I should get I'd to. so, I took it. By the next day, I realized the issues after wearing it for a day...the jacket seems to have contoured itself to my body, so the tightening is at front shoulder now rather than lower arm pit, if at is possible.

So, what to do? the should have got this right. it looks great on the outside, feels less good on the inside. it's not cutting, but like a vague pressing. I'm almost inclined to keep it and suffer slightly for the look. I haven't heard from the Amsterdam folks yet, thou I just emailed then. Trouble is, I live in a non suit supply city in the US. Not sure I can return it and the fix is expensive, apparently.

So, there is much to recommend, but I think it's important to know some of your special foibles. I don't know if they didn't notice my slouch, or just didn't do it right, but in the future, I would emphasize my cshoulder challenges before doing it again.

Will I do this again? well, when I first tried the jacket on, I started looking at e fabrics for e second, so was inclined. the look is great. But I can't do it now until 1. They fix this coat, or respond in some wayt that satisfies me, and 2. I am confident that they can adjust to fix future coats.

I wish it had gone better. would have ordered a couple of coats in the spring.

I'd be interested if anyone has had similar problems oMTM, and how it was resolved.

16. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

It happens quite often with Made to Measure for a person with sloping forward shoulders..Bespoke handles this a lot better or a very experienced person who is taking your measurements for M2M... I might be wrong but when this occurs in my M2M experiences I typically work with the Tailor who is going to do the adjustment to get it done.. I feel the tailor needs to see it and based on his working experience make the adjustment from what he sees versus a sales person giving him the info to make the adjustment..which I do not believe you may be able to get with SS (working with the tailor face to face)...

17. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Looks like someone just grabbed the last 38R tux while I was waffling:fu: If it was one of you guys let me know if it doesn't work out and I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands for full price.

18. filterq

filterq Well-Known Member

Could anyone let me know what the lining is made with. The Sienna and Jort have bemberg lining. What about the other ie: Washington, Lazio etc.... is it Poly/Viscose?

19. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I'm really close to pouncing on this tuxedo in a 40L. Anyone who bought one care to offer up a critique?

20. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I believe all their lines offer Bemberg lining... atleast my Napoli's have that