• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice Needed: MTM Suit in London/South-West England

a.elvozo

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a young man looking to purchase a first (proper) suit ahead of my graduation from a university.

My budget is ca. £1000–£1500 (£1500 is a hard limit), and I'm based in South West England (Bristol/Bath area) — a commute to London is not off limits, though. Given the budget, it feels to me that going MTM would be a reasonable course of action. After some research, I've narrowed my list down to two brands:

1. Gieves and Hawkes — I'm very tempted by my relative proximity to their Bath location, and it's probably the most convenient option of them all. However, I'm slightly wary of the new ownership, rapid decrease in online presence, and the decline in quality that's been reported by some. At a starting price of £1130, they're well within my budget.

2. Will Davison Bespoke — a relatively new atelier, highly rated by the London Made to Measure Guide, has very positive reviews and a good online presence — the suits look quite good to me, too. Similar price to G&H. The only major drawback is the commute to London.

At one point, the shortlist also included Casual Fitters, but something about them just felt off — a lot of overwhelmingly positive Google reviews yet no pictures of actual clients in suits — so I've since excluded them.

Which of the two (or perhaps something else entirely?) would you recommend? Any other bits of advice/recommendations would be welcome, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads