Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

any reviews of their leather bags? hold-all is pretty nice.

2. johnbond8459

johnbond8459 Active Member

Agreed on too many Washington cuts. Peak lapels and higher waisted pants are too "flashy" for most industries that require a suit or uncomfortable. I'd appreciate more London, Lazio or Napoli fits.

Some pinstripes that are more toned down than their loud stripes would also be appreciated.

I'm not very impressed with this collection so far...

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think these are the new seasonals and that the mainstays currently available will remain available. For example, I cannot imagine they would cease offering the navy suit in the Napoli and Sienna cuts and neither is listed as a Fall offering.

4. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I actually like their current and fall collection a lot. When you consider their demographics and the current styling of suiting especially in Europe, Suitsupply's collection makes a lot a lot sense. I mean they are a European company and if people desire a more subdued suit J.Crew offers slim fitting and more classic designs.

What would be sweet is if they designed a Washington Fit suit sans the peak lapels. True they have other fits which opt for notch lapels however I found those fits to be not as slim fitting for my taste.

5. johnbond8459

johnbond8459 Active Member

I'd agree getting rid of the peak lapels, and the higher rise of the trousers would make for a great suit. I'm happy with the trimness of the Washington, just not those two details.

6. razl

razl Senior member

While delving through details, I came across what looks like a recent bullet point on a lot of their suits:

[​IMG]

#3 Sous Bras

???

Thinking someone on styleforum would have explained it, a little googling turned up lots of Bras and some Sous, but no Sous Bras. Expanding the search to all the interwebs found this post from one Martin Stall at The Fedora Lounge ( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-22728.html ):

I was familiar with the little pads as described, but had never heard them described as "sous-bras". Learn something new everyday!

7. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

"Sous-bras" is simply French for "under-arm" ("sous" = under; "bras" = arm). Many manufacturers would refer to these as perspiration guards, or sweat shields.

8. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Senior member

Yea I definitely sweat more with these more fitted jackets that get tight under the armpit, so its a good feature to have!

9. Berzerk91

Berzerk91 Well-Known Member

Picked this up a few weeks ago at the NYC store. Washington in a size 35 with some alterations.. length, sleeve length, taken out a little. First "real" suit. Thoughts/opinions/alterations?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Wore the same suit for my wedding-

ran into a problem with their sizing- luckly i ordered the 38 and the 38s just in case. the 38 was WAY too long on me but fit everywhere else and the 38s was a good length but just totally out of wack in the shoulders. ended up taking the 38, having it shortened (and now it looks silly because of the bunched vents) but oh well. live and learn.

wondering if i should try the 36 based on all of this info?

11. Berzerk91

Berzerk91 Well-Known Member

I would probably try a 36 in a non-Washington cut and have it taken out if necessary. If the 38S was out of whack in the shoulders a 36 Washington will probably be worse.

12. razl

razl Senior member

I'll volunteer that the peak lapels protruding above your shoulder line is ridiculous for a "real suit". It's probably just your posture, but the fact that you're only leaning slightly and the cut/design still does that strikes me as a warning. On closer inspection of the peak on your other shoulder, which looks to be lying mostly normal, is practically at your shoulder line too.

I suspect a lot of normal activity is going to result in those peaks being way too much on display.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

very nice

14. jhende7

jhende7 New Member

Anybody notice the "size" advice section for some suits (the Washington for example) seems really messed up. Put in my measurements for the Washington and it recommended a '44'. Not a 44R or 44L or 44S just a 44. Unless they have weird sizing for the Washington I think somethings off. Particularly because I have a 37-38 inch chest.

Anybody care to comment?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

15. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

Anyone know off hand if ss makes any blazers or sport coats in same or similar cut as London or Napoli? Thx