• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chatelet

Reaction score
I never knew Neapolitan has wider shoulders.... do you usually size down in it?
Thanks. How do you think the tweed would do with waist suppression? Or does it look too wide all around?

I don’t size down - everything else would be too small. I just tolerate the shoulders.

I find the biggest difference with contemporary is the armholes and just below, like around your ribs. There’s a lot of space there at the breast and ribs - not sure how easy it is to alter, perhaps ask your tailor. Otherwise I think it looks good.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to illicit some of your expertise and opinion regarding the fit of these SM jackets.
Quick back story - over the last two and a half years my weight has gone from 175 to 205, then down all the way to 165 (I’m 6’ for reference.) I’ve finally gotten back to what I consider my good weight, 175, and I’ve maintain for the last 6 months. So I purged my closet of all things too big and too small and I’m making a few purchases.

Two jackets from SM, one 42R Contemporary and one 42R Slim. I had a 40 Contemporary but I passed it along because it was rather tight across the shoulders and my deltoid protruded quite noticeably.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about the 42’s, if anyone felt so inclined, and if you feel there enough difference between the Contemporary and slim to be concerned about? The Contemporary seemed pretty full to me, especially through the arm. And I can’t help but wonder if the shoulders are a bit too wide on both, especially from the rear view? No alterations have been done, but I also wonder if there’s just too much excess throughout?
I realize the pitch on these jackets aren’t the most agreeable for me. Most aren’t. I also realize that fabric plays a role in the difference in fit of these.

Any opinions, advice, comments or otherwise are greatly accepted!

1. 42 Contemporary in tweed.
2. 42 slim in cord.
No alterations done to either.
Miss your insta. Good style inspiration.

ptfly

Reaction score
I ordered a medium cardigan and will update when I receive it, though I don’t know how long that’ll be. That said, I have two S&M v neck sweaters in medium, and they fit my 34.5” arms, they should work just fine for a 35 sleeve.

View attachment 1226465
My box of 5 cardigans came yesterday. i am 6'1" size 40r/l and 164 pounds. Sweaters look great but unfortunately I will have to exchange for Large sizes. Length a bit short and forearm too tight. I really don't know how Rick gets such a good price on this yarn/sweater. Impressive.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My box of 5 cardigans came yesterday. i am 6'1" size 40r/l and 164 pounds. Sweaters look great but unfortunately I will have to exchange for Large sizes. Length a bit short and forearm too tight. I really don't know how Rick gets such a good price on this yarn/sweater. Impressive.

Yeah, 5’11” 38R 155# here, it doesn’t surprise me you need a large at 6’1”:
9D6F8C06-A60D-4C89-872F-F73C3CB78C17.jpeg

I have a ton (a TON) or sweaters already, but the biggest hole in my collection is dressier merino sweaters. I’m glad I didn’t stock up on ones from other brands years ago, because I’m much happier with S&M’s price/quality ratio

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I just want a good Japanese whisky right about now.

Alpha King

Reaction score
7 days since my order, no shipping notice... can't complain too much, this is probably my tenth or twelfth order and every other time I've had my loot by now. I'm worried my luck is running out avoiding the dreaded "out of stock" email!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a Miami Vice stache if I've ever seen one.

That plus the linen suit, you must have done it on purpose.

Roll up your sleeves.

I didn’t even notice the stache before.

Please tell me you drive a Ferrari @pickergc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics