• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ULCajun

Reaction score
Crappy week, nice to come home to a Spier care package:
View attachment 1228981

I’m a total believer in these shirts now. Holy crap these are NICE:
View attachment 1228979
View attachment 1228980

I understand why these weren’t great sellers, because I was in the same mindset- not sure if I would actually wear a long sleeve polo. Having them in hand, I’m going to be enthusiastically looking for ways to wear these. I’m debating whether I would have a way to wear the charcoal...

Cardigan is what I was expecting based on the sweaters I already have, t shirt is really nice for being a plain white t shirt (lol):
View attachment 1228982

Non Spier, but today sucked, so bourbon:
View attachment 1228983
i loved the long sleeve polos but just found the sleeves to be crazy long. I hope they return this f/w with some adjustments

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The medium fits perfect, so I’m kind of scared to see what happens with shrinkage. I wash cold/hang dry everything, so we’ll see
I love the LS polos but found the large to fit me better. If the medium work for you after a cold wash hang dry, let me know. I have a couple new or once worn mediums that are too snug on me.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the LS polos but found the large to fit me better. If the medium work for you after a cold wash hang dry, let me know. I have a couple new or once worn mediums that are too snug on me.
If you don’t mind, what’s your normal height/weight/chest/sleeve? I’m 5’11”/155/38”/34.5”, I’m going to wash them tomorrow and wanted to get an idea of what they’ll do

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don’t mind, what’s your normal height/weight/chest/sleeve? I’m 5’11”/155/38”/34.5”, I’m going to wash them tomorrow and wanted to get an idea of what they’ll do
My medium sleeves are still fine after a couple washes; I'm basically same height/sleeve

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves should be fine. I need more cardio.

Leanderthal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to illicit some of your expertise and opinion regarding the fit of these SM jackets.
Quick back story - over the last two and a half years my weight has gone from 175 to 205, then down all the way to 165 (I’m 6’ for reference.) I’ve finally gotten back to what I consider my good weight, 175, and I’ve maintain for the last 6 months. So I purged my closet of all things too big and too small and I’m making a few purchases.

Two jackets from SM, one 42R Contemporary and one 42R Slim. I had a 40 Contemporary but I passed it along because it was rather tight across the shoulders and my deltoid protruded quite noticeably.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about the 42’s, if anyone felt so inclined, and if you feel there enough difference between the Contemporary and slim to be concerned about? The Contemporary seemed pretty full to me, especially through the arm. And I can’t help but wonder if the shoulders are a bit too wide on both, especially from the rear view? No alterations have been done, but I also wonder if there’s just too much excess throughout?
I realize the pitch on these jackets aren’t the most agreeable for me. Most aren’t. I also realize that fabric plays a role in the difference in fit of these.

Any opinions, advice, comments or otherwise are greatly accepted!

1. 42 Contemporary in tweed.
2. 42 slim in cord.
No alterations done to either.

Attachments

chatelet

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to illicit some of your expertise and opinion regarding the fit of these SM jackets.
Quick back story - over the last two and a half years my weight has gone from 175 to 205, then down all the way to 165 (I’m 6’ for reference.) I’ve finally gotten back to what I consider my good weight, 175, and I’ve maintain for the last 6 months. So I purged my closet of all things too big and too small and I’m making a few purchases.

Two jackets from SM, one 42R Contemporary and one 42R Slim. I had a 40 Contemporary but I passed it along because it was rather tight across the shoulders and my deltoid protruded quite noticeably.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about the 42’s, if anyone felt so inclined, and if you feel there enough difference between the Contemporary and slim to be concerned about? The Contemporary seemed pretty full to me, especially through the arm. And I can’t help but wonder if the shoulders are a bit too wide on both, especially from the rear view? No alterations have been done, but I also wonder if there’s just too much excess throughout?
I realize the pitch on these jackets aren’t the most agreeable for me. Most aren’t. I also realize that fabric plays a role in the difference in fit of these.

2. 42 slim in cord.
The tweed is the Neopolitan cut, which is why the shoulders are wider.

Regardless, slim fit looks much better on you. Have the sleeves shortened and you’re good.

Leanderthal

Reaction score
The tweed is the Neopolitan cut, which is why the shoulders are wider.

Regardless, slim fit looks much better on you. Have the sleeves shortened and you’re good.
I never knew Neapolitan has wider shoulders.... do you usually size down in it?
Thanks. How do you think the tweed would do with waist suppression? Or does it look too wide all around?

chatelet

Reaction score
I never knew Neapolitan has wider shoulders.... do you usually size down in it?
Thanks. How do you think the tweed would do with waist suppression? Or does it look too wide all around?
I don’t size down - everything else would be too small. I just tolerate the shoulders.

I find the biggest difference with contemporary is the armholes and just below, like around your ribs. There’s a lot of space there at the breast and ribs - not sure how easy it is to alter, perhaps ask your tailor. Otherwise I think it looks good.

Torzano

Reaction score

2. 42 slim in cord.
Miss your insta. Good style inspiration.

ptfly

Reaction score
I ordered a medium cardigan and will update when I receive it, though I don’t know how long that’ll be. That said, I have two S&M v neck sweaters in medium, and they fit my 34.5” arms, they should work just fine for a 35 sleeve.

View attachment 1226465
My box of 5 cardigans came yesterday. i am 6'1" size 40r/l and 164 pounds. Sweaters look great but unfortunately I will have to exchange for Large sizes. Length a bit short and forearm too tight. I really don't know how Rick gets such a good price on this yarn/sweater. Impressive.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My box of 5 cardigans came yesterday. i am 6'1" size 40r/l and 164 pounds. Sweaters look great but unfortunately I will have to exchange for Large sizes. Length a bit short and forearm too tight. I really don't know how Rick gets such a good price on this yarn/sweater. Impressive.
Yeah, 5’11” 38R 155# here, it doesn’t surprise me you need a large at 6’1”:
9D6F8C06-A60D-4C89-872F-F73C3CB78C17.jpeg

I have a ton (a TON) or sweaters already, but the biggest hole in my collection is dressier merino sweaters. I’m glad I didn’t stock up on ones from other brands years ago, because I’m much happier with S&M’s price/quality ratio

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.