• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ptfly

Reaction score
this^
I feel too young to go to 2", 1.75" looks great, and 1.5" looks kind of wimpy on me. But for the 2" it's more of me not feeling bold enough to rock some very classic styles that more mature guys can. Originally I saw some person's Instagram or blog post, who's style I loved, and they said they get 1.75" and I wanted to copy them. When I took my suits to the tailor I had him show me some other pants that he had done at 1.5, 1.75, and 2 and that's how I figured out what I wanted. When I got the suits back I knew I made the right choice. But I'd definitely recommend sticking in the 1.75 - 2", just look at examples of both and pick what works best for you.
Same here. 1.75" every time. I am 6'1". My tailor doesn't even ask now. Trained them :D

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any plans for RTW S&M evening jackets? I already have a full tuxedo, but would love to own a new jacket. I remember this custom piece that was posted on Instagram and would love to see something like this:

I seem to remember Rick mentioning a new tux in the fall and the possibility of some separate jackets. I already have 3 velvet dinner jackets, but I’m crossing my fingers for another.

3 year old Whiskey!!
Those are stunning.

Re: the cuff conversation- I’m 5’11” and get 1.75” cuffs, 2” looked odd on me when I tried it.

induere_to

Reaction score
Tomato, tomato.
Naples, Napoli.
Herbal, herbal.
Bespoke, made-to-measure (apparently).

My tailors in the back of the shop use the same ruler to cuff trousers. Engraved on it says ‘Universal Cuff Rule 2”’ and schematically measures about 2” wide. You can’t scratch it out if you tried.

Rumour has it, Moses brought the ruler down from Mt. Sinai after getting it carved by the hand of God Himself.

But you know, this is StyleForum so we talk about these things for five pages.

Also, @konix how are you always ahead of the Spier & Mackay seasonal curve?

Ezio

Reaction score
Are there any plans for RTW S&M evening jackets? I already have a full tuxedo, but would love to own a new jacket. I remember this custom piece that was posted on Instagram and would love to see something like this:

I think Rick mentioned there'd be a midnight navy velvet dinner jacket for FW19

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the same fabric as the medium brown jacket from fall 17? Always wish I got those pants. That was actually my first Spier purchase (thanks google ads for introducing me to this company that has been taking all my money since then.)
Probably saved you all that $ from Susus and other bad deals ;)

AGlorifiedCrew

Reaction score
I definitely feel 2" for cuffs is perfect, at least for (current year). It's a bit weird at first, along with pleats since most pleat n' cuffed trousers we've been seeing at the offices in the past are typically untailored, cheap variants from the 90's.

That said, taller cuffs definitely make sense with the S&M aesthetic, which leans towards the Southern Italian style of tailoring and bold patterns. I do feel that the trousers should be hemmed with no break to really compliment the cuffs.

Torzano

Reaction score
I used to always do 2” cuffs and recently changed to 1.5”. I might stick with that size. They are a little less CUFFS!!!!!!

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this^
I feel too young to go to 2", 1.75" looks great, and 1.5" looks kind of wimpy on me. But for the 2" it's more of me not feeling bold enough to rock some very classic styles that more mature guys can. Originally I saw some person's Instagram or blog post, who's style I loved, and they said they get 1.75" and I wanted to copy them. When I took my suits to the tailor I had him show me some other pants that he had done at 1.5, 1.75, and 2 and that's how I figured out what I wanted. When I got the suits back I knew I made the right choice. But I'd definitely recommend sticking in the 1.75 - 2", just look at examples of both and pick what works best for you.
I'm 28.
I've been rocking 5cm cuffs for the last 3 years.

So, at 25, most of my dress trousers and suits had 5cm cuffs. I'm curious how old you are that you feel too young.

drfwtx

Reaction score
Guys, I'm doing a bit of research for OTR dress shirts/shirts in general. Do you prefer the bundle of 3 shirts now to get a discount of $10/shirt of would you prefer just an everday lower price on single shirts? Though that unbundled lower price wouldn't be as low as a 3 shirt bundle, but lower than the pre-bundle price now...

Yes, yes, we know to stock up more on basics. Also control shrinkage and consistent sizing. Any other OTR shirt feedback is appreciated. Good or bad, we always want to improve.
I know this isnt what you asked about specifically, but if I may, I wish any casual shirt option (OCBD, denim, any linen blend) had a pocket. I know OCBDs do, but really wish my denims and linen had a pocket as well.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.