• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^Those examples are all less than desirable. I am all for gunclub though.

I think you should nail down some staple fabrics that have done well in the field that you can repeat. This goes for shirts and suits. For example, your fabled camel and light gray flannel pants that are very popular around here. I feel like there is too much variety to make an informed decision for online buyers.

Really? I'd snatch them up quickly (I actually own the coat in the first pic). Again, just like @CMAc7 I have my basics covered, and then some. To each his own, though, I suppose.

I agree on having a permanent collection of staples ready. S&M is too much of a hit or miss still. For example, the "fabled" pants you're referring to were, imho, substandard as far as fabric goes. (Rick is promising better, richer flannels for fall!)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with @Darkside, except for perhaps the last one.

A simpler and darker guncheck would be better than that first example. Both features would make it easier to wear, key in a small collection from a small retailer.

The second is similarly too light or too gray, with gray being the most common color for pants. And though I like single breasted peak lapel jackets, those are probably best reserved for stores with large offerings.

In terms of fabrics for odd jackets, I think SM will be well served focusing on texture and interesting hue, keeping patterns simple. I don't recall ever seeing a tweed jacket from them, which is a little surprising. A simple donegal would also be nice. Patterns like houndstooth work particularly nicely with fabrics that have at least a little bit of texture.

I think it is great they're going to do a 3r2 RTW. Brooks Brothers has established that as an RTW staple. Double breasted is nice too, albeit riskier. From what I understand, S&M has had a lot of freedom in their designs when working with their old factory and has taken advantage of this; I hope they're finding the same freedom in the new factory.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the rest of the samples for fall fabrics. I like big bold patterns rather than small repeating things or very conservative business dress stuff like tonal glen plaids in my sportcoats, as I've got those kind of covered/they bore me. This often requires a step up in price though, but eHaberdasher is an example of another small company that's able to source some pretty great stuff at similar prices.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
When will flannel options for pants be available for MTM? Would like to order some for the fall.

Hopefully early August.

Not to be a royal PITA, but I've emailed maybe 5-6 times in the past month and have not had a reply to my question yet, is there another way to request a return label?

Can you PM me your order#, I'll get it dealt with ASAP.

As explained before, we were having some CS issues. We recently hired new staff that started this week that will help us burn through the backlog and get caught up by early next week to get us back on track.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The fit of my first SM MTM jacket is superb. Pictures to come soon.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score

The fit of my first SM MTM jacket is superb. Pictures to come soon.

Patiently awaiting those pictures
263a.png
What fabric did you go with?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The camel flannel, since I already had the (RTW) pants. Hip patch pockets on the jacket so I can wear it as an odd jacket or with the pants as a suit.

Out of the box, so creases and the like have yet to settle

Need to shorten the right sleeve, probably fix the right shoulder a bit (though it is miles better than the RTW), take in the waist a little bit, and maybe address a tiny bit of extra fabric under the arms. The back is very creases from the packing, but it looks as though it needs some work below the left shoulder.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Even with the creases I can see how it fits pretty darn well, save for the few small details you mentioned. Smart move with the patch pockets for maximum mileage.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The camel flannel, since I already had the (RTW) pants. Hip patch pockets on the jacket so I can wear it as an odd jacket or with the pants as a suit.

Out of the box, so creases and the like have yet to settle

Need to shorten the right sleeve, probably fix the right shoulder a bit (though it is miles better than the RTW), take in the waist a little bit, and maybe address a tiny bit of extra fabric under the arms. The back is very creases from the packing, but it looks as though it needs some work below the left shoulder.

I had the same right shoulder issue on my mtm, what do you do to fix it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads