• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cr2596

Reaction score
I started working again, recently, and I am finally getting to use the shirts I bought for work, two seasons ago. I grabbed a few backups to the dark and light wash denim shirts I’ve used for two years tending bar. Washed after each use, many stains that have been spray n washed, most coming out, some still remain. I’ve sweated through these things countless times; it gets hot as hell being right next to an open kitchen during the summer in New Orleans, LA. Since grabbing the new ones and the old, the last two weeks, the weathering and fading has become ever so apparent. Thought I’d share a little before and after to give those without these shirts an idea of what living in them produces.

37082A0A-9BAD-43DA-BF39-D49002B3D14C.jpeg

FB5B33AD-D287-4E51-AD53-0C54842FDEDA.jpeg

17698D55-18E5-462D-8B7F-1BF8092535EC.jpeg

ECAEF24B-1899-45CF-A4BD-32CD80B80FB1.jpeg

pyunghwa

Reaction score
@spiermackay Hi Rick, any chance you can stock an ecru/brown POW linen fabric for next summer? Drakes last summer and Natalino this summer are carrying it but I much prefer the neopolitan cut from Spier.

I like how the micro check is a genuine houndstooth, and the color is a perfect summer shade.

Pretty please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-203042_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-203042_Chrome.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 102

Sockett&Bones

Reaction score
For those who've ordered MTO sport coats...

Did you send in a well-fitting sport coat you already owned so Spier could nail the measurements or did you enter the measurements online yourself Measurements are easy enough to do on a shirt but I'm apprehensive about it with a sport coat, especially when it comes to the shoulders.

I've thrifted so many vintage Ivy/natural shoulder sport coats over the years and despite the measurements being on point for whatever reason the shoulders didn't sit quite right (I'm probably batting below the Mendonza line when it comes eBay over the last 15 years; I return far more than I keep). Armhole height? Maybe a sliver of padding that screwed up things? I often find when the shoulders fit perfectly it's too tight across the back. If I have ample room across the back, the shoulders are a little too big. I have two 1960s Brooks Brothers tweed sport coats that fit absolutely perfectly outside of the body being a bit short. The remaining ten or so sport coats in my closet don't fit as well as I'd like. The last thing I want is to go through the MTO process and find the shoulders don't fit/sit perfectly.

I have asked my tailor if he'd measure me but he refuses to do that for his customers; he used to and some folks would come back to him and want him to cover the cost for redoing an MTO job based on his measurements that didn't workout from another provider. Can't fault him for that decision.

@spiermackay Rick, do a lot of your customers who aren't local send you sport coats for measurements? I know you offer (or least used to) a one-time do-over for new custom shirt customers but obviously the cost to redo a sport coat is significantly higher.

I recommend you find the right size from the OTR selection then from there, make the adjustments on your MTO. The adjustments are actually very limited so you'll be keeping most of the S&M signature shape/style. If you don't find anything that works OTR, then I highly doubt you'll be able to make something custom that fits 10/10.

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
Working on new T-shirts. First go was underwhelming. Socks at a good price require massive quantity buys. Looking into that too, but it isn't a priority at the moment.

We do have underwear coming. Really great Cotton/Modal blend. Very comfortable. $18

T-shirts - I really would love a light grey tshirt similar or better quality to the first run BUT with a deeper v neck, so I can use them as undershirts without them showing. I typically wear your Oxford shirts with the top two button undone. I realize this is very specific, but wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is looking for something similar.

Underwear - sounds great.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay Hi Rick, any chance you can stock an ecru/brown POW linen fabric for next summer? Drakes last summer and Natalino this summer are carrying it but I much prefer the neopolitan cut from Spier.

I like how the micro check is a genuine houndstooth, and the color is a perfect summer shade.

Pretty please?

You just missed the Sondio from last S/S

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T-shirts - I really would love a light grey tshirt similar or better quality to the first run BUT with a deeper v neck, so I can use them as undershirts without them showing. I typically wear your Oxford shirts with the top two button undone. I realize this is very specific, but wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is looking for something similar.

Underwear - sounds great.
T shirts are a bit thick to wear as undershirts, especially in the summer. Try Uniqlo Airism if you want a deep V undershirt.
Unless that’s something else Rick can make better ?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working on new T-shirts. First go was underwhelming.

I also like V neck Ts and thought the V on the last batch could be a bit deeper. I bought about 10 of them when they were reduced, LOL. My only gripe about them is that the rib collar doesn't hold its shape for long.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing that Minnis Black & White POW Fresco MTO fabric, for a suit. For a sport jacket its a no brainer, but having trouble imagining whether it works as a suit. Anybody seen a fabric like this as a suit? Will it just appear as another gray suit from a distance, or will it be perceived as black and white, which is what I would want. Thoughts? @spiermackay ?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing that Minnis Black & White POW Fresco MTO fabric, for a suit. For a sport jacket its a no brainer, but having trouble imagining whether it works as a suit. Anybody seen a fabric like this as a suit? Will it just appear as another gray suit from a distance, or will it be perceived as black and white, which is what I would want. Thoughts? @spiermackay ?
I find it hard to determine the scale of the pattern. Have you been able to? It's only a pic of the fabric alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads