1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Like the title of the thread says
    How many miles did you run today?
    I didn't see any thread like this, and I thought it would be cool for people to post this so everyone can see the miles they put in every week, and I thought it would help keep people motivated to be able to discuss stuff on their run, conditions, anything strange you might have seen, etc..

Ill start!
    Starting running again on sunday, Ive been doing 3 miles a day, at a slow but steady pace, around my local park at about 9:30 PM every night (I play in a basketball league so I thought it would be good to run that time cuz thats when we play, so my body gets used to the cool night air and humidity).

What about you guys? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Just dumb luck (I haven't been running every day), I ran 6 miles in about an hour this morning. Wanted to get a good one in while the weather hold out--it was in the low-mid 60s with light humidity this morning. Perfect! [​IMG]

3. MonkeyFresh

Awesome man!
    Thats what i want to hit, running about 6 miles a day, it takes me about 36 minutes to do 3 right now (Im not completely tired but my legs get real tense) so if I can get enough endurance to get an 10-12 minute mile and be able to do 6, I'd say it would be a great summer [​IMG]
    Also, is it best to run in the morning? noon? night?
    I love morning runs, I feel iv'e had some of my best days when i wake up to go run, but I've read somewhere its best at night, becuase you have the most energy, but my friend runs under the midday sun in the hottest conditions to maximize his wieght loss (hes a trackstar btw, i wasnt about to try running at noon but just wondering)

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I awoke early - it's been warm and humid and still took forever to get out the door this morning. So I pushed it a bit.

4 miles in 30:32 (but the last mile hurt!), then into the pool for a few short laps and get ready for work.

5. callen

callen Well-Known Member

I am running 4 - 6 miles this evening probably around 8pm. Distance will depend on my knee.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Awesome man!
    Thats what i want to hit, running about 6 miles a day, it takes me about 36 minutes to do 3 right now (Im not completely tired but my legs get real tense) so if I can get enough endurance to get an 10-12 minute mile and be able to do 6, I'd say it would be a great summer [​IMG]
    Also, is it best to run in the morning? noon? night?
    I love morning runs, I feel iv'e had some of my best days when i wake up to go run, but I've read somewhere its best at night, becuase you have the most energy, but my friend runs under the midday sun in the hottest conditions to maximize his wieght loss (hes a trackstar btw, i wasnt about to try running at noon but just wondering)

I run mornings for a number of reasons:

First, it's easier too fit in to my schedule. Nothing competing in the early morning hours.

Second, weight loss - when I played competitive racquetball I could play up to three hours post-work and not be much lighter afterwards, while 3-4 morning miles would shed weight very efficiently. It turns out that while your heart rate rises and falls efficently with your activity levels, your metabolic rate makes slower transitions, particularly as your activity level falls off. Morning runs elevate your metabolic rate which stays somewhat elevated for a number of hours post-run - provided you don't gorge yourself afterwards.

Third: it makes me happy. I like starting the day happy.

2 people like this.
  7. callen

callen Well-Known Member

I am running 4 - 6 miles this evening probably around 8pm. Distance will depend on my knee.

As for when to run, out of the mid day heat is usually optimal. Heat stroke can ruin a day. I try to run in the mornings. It gives me a good pick me up for the entire day.

8. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

7.6, but we call it the 8 mile loop. Always round up !

9. Antonio Centeno

Antonio Centeno Senior member

I only ran two, but I was pressed on time this morning. For me it is about enjoying the scenery, as that I live in rural WI. Ran into three deer, two rabbits, and an unknown number of robins and assorted other birds. I didn't time myself, but I was probably running 6 minute thirty second per mile.

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

Second, weight loss - when I played competitive racquetball I could play up to three hours post-work and not be much lighter afterwards, while 3-4 morning miles would shed weight very efficiently. It turns out that while your heart rate rises and falls efficently with your activity levels, your metabolic rate makes slower transitions, particularly as your activity level falls off. Morning runs elevate your metabolic rate which stays somewhat elevated for a number of hours post-run - provided you don't gorge yourself afterwards.

Not to go all why on you, but this is incorrect. Betcha $100 that you can run the same amount every night (which fits my schedule better; not that I'm actually doing it, too many cool exercises to do[​IMG]) and reap the same results.

Besides, racquetball burns calories at a slower rate, and more importantly, allows too much inactivity to be aerobic.

11. why

why Senior member

Technically, competitive racquetball will be more anaerobic simply because of the short bursts of intense exercise.

I do wish people would stop thinking of metabolic rate as some kind of organ system or something. It's just energy consumption.

A morning run won't elevate your metabolic rate for much longer than maybe an hour after your workout. Besides, even that small elevation is minimal.

It may upregulate lipolytic hormones, but total energy consumption probably won't be very far from the norm for periods of inactivity following exercise.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Not to go all why on you, but this is incorrect. Betcha $100 that you can run the same amount every night (which fits my schedule better; not that I'm actually doing it, too many cool exercises to do[​IMG]) and reap the same results.

Besides, racquetball burns calories at a slower rate, and more importantly, allows too much inactivity to be aerobic.

While you are correct that racquetball allows for periods of inactivity, I feel that three hours of racquetball isn't too far from say, three miles of steady running in terms of caloric expenditure, particularly the way some of the bastards in the challenge courts had me running around. There's a reason I no longer play.

But more compelling to me was that before I switched to morning runs, I ran post-work with my roommate at the time. We covered Memorial loop (2.9 miles) after work three to four times a week, and my waist hovered around 34". Our work schedules diverged and I switched to morning running. Same distance, same frequency, same eating habits and supplementation, and my waist fell to 32". Everything else remained farily constant, one variable changed, and the results were different.

Whether others will find the same results is an open question. But it's what works for me. I find that compelling enough.

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I've always heard and read that doing cardio in a fasted state (which is the state that you are in when you wake up in the morning because you haven't eaten for several hours) burns more fat than doing cardio in a fed state. As I understand it, this occurs because in a fasted state your insulin levels are very low and high insulin levels are antithetical to weight loss. However, the downside of this is that you also lose muscle by doing fasted cardio (that's why most runners are not very muscular), and most bodybuilders do not do fasted cardio.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i have been jogging (excuse me, 'running') for about 2.5 miles and then i walk briskly 4.5 miles with some stretches of running in between about 5 times a week.

1 person likes this.
  15. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

so lets say you are running in the morning and you see a black bear
    what do you do

and i'm not joking, i might start running outside but i don't want to run into any bears

16. MonkeyFresh

so lets say you are running in the morning and you see a black bear
    what do you do

and i'm not joking, i might start running outside but i don't want to run into any bears

no sudden movements, stand your ground but slowly back off, dont try and run it will outrun you, dont try and swim away it will out swim you, and dont try and climb up a tree it will out climb you
    and if u are running with someone else, all you hafta do is out run them [​IMG]

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

this above is a serious issue for those into camping and hiking:

there was a true story of a couple who had a confrontation with a black bear in the woods, the couple did back away and try to slowly run away, but the bear had a sense and followed them. eventually it started chasing after them, caught up to the woman and killed her and then caught up to the man and killed him.

there should be some good information on how to avoid this type of issue. please let us know.

18. constant struggle

http://www.knbc.com/news/13525190/detail.html

If you have a surprise encounter with a black bear in the Adirondacks remain calm. The bear is usually just as surprised and will normally run the other way.

If a bear does not run from you immediately, it may be temporarily distracted, unaware of your presence or unable to identify you.

Stand where you are or back away slowly.
    Speaking to the bear in a calm voice and waving your arms may help it identify you.
    The bear may stand up on its hind legs for a better look or to catch your scent before leaving the area.
    Never run from a bear and don't try to climb a tree to escape! Bears may have a tendency to chase you when they would not otherwise and they climb trees very quickly and much better than you. Both situations will put you at a disadvantage.
    If the bear does not leave, remain calm. Stand you ground if the bear begins to approach.
    Black bears are generally timid and shouting or clapping will generally be enough to deter an approach.
    If a bear approaches you, your tent, or your camping area, make noise to alert it to your presence and encourage it to leave.
    If it persists or follows you, aggressively defend yourself. Raising your arms may help you appear larger to the bear.
    Do not throw a pack or any food to a bear as a distraction. This will only encourage a bear to approach other people for food or packs. If possible, quickly gather any food left out and store it securely in a canister or back away with it. Leaving food for the bears will only encourage them to repeat the cycle.
    If a bear does get into your food do not attempt to drive it away. Bears can aggressively defend their food sources. Back away, warn others in the area and report the incident to a ranger as soon as possible.

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I read somewhere that you run downhill. It seems that bears can't run downhill very well - weight distribution issues or some such, although I've never tested that and am slightly skeptical without further confirmation.

20. constant struggle

I've encountered bears twice in the wild

Once I ran downhill into someone elses house, the bear did not follow, it was three of us running... from about 20 feet away from the bear, then an additional 200 yards or so

The second time I was inbetween a mother and it's cub, while walking in the woods with a large group of people, we huddled together and moved through

Both times the bears did not follow, thankfully

But I've become quite afraid of what COULD happen, and it may be preventing me from running in the morning outside