• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went ahead and ordered an MTO suit a few minutes ago. Will that add an additional two weeks for me too? Fully understandable if so, I was very aware delays could happen in these times. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just don't know how many factories you work with.

Shirt factory is in India which is currently in a mandatory three week minimum shutdown.

Jackets and suits are in China, which appears to be ramping production back up. That said I’m a month over expected delivery of an MTM jacket so I’m guessing they’re a bit behind too.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Shirt factory is in India which is currently in a mandatory three week minimum shutdown.

Jackets and suits are in China, which appears to be ramping production back up. That said I’m a month over expected delivery of an MTM jacket so I’m guessing they’re a bit behind too.

The China factory is back open. But still not at full capacity. About 80% up to last Monday it was somewhere in the 50% range. They are catching up pretty quickly now.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
710005-874-1-2_2.jpg
10005-722-1-3f1h1-1200x1200-2.jpg

Thoughts on these two vs eachother? Don't have any grey check trousers. Would wear with pretty tame/modest sportcoats. I like both and think I prefer the second by a small margin, but think the check may be faint enough that they would disappear to the eye past like 10 feet and thus the first may be better? Would appreciate opinions. Cheers.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still working as well since construction is deemed essential in BC, but I'm not doing any client meetings probably for a few months, no events, nothing, so I'm working from home and in t-shirt jeans a few hours a week at the office.

Help me decide folks:

Sondrio Light Brown Neo Jacket

OR

Straight cream jacket and trousers

I'm only gonna go with one option, so what am I better off with?

MellonC

Reaction score
Echoing this comment too.

I had been eying the navy commuter parka since it came out, and when it went final sale, it was simply too good to pass up.

I’m coming from a Canada Goose parka that never fit me quite right (sold on eBay for more than I paid, so it was at least a good store of value!). The Spier and Mackay commuter parka, in my view, actually has a better fabric (mostly wool, with some poly, whereas most big name parkas are purely synthetic). The down fill is lighter than the Canada Goose, so my feeling is that it really is meant to be worn over a suit jacket, and in that case, it’s still plenty warm. I wouldn’t want to go out with only a t-shirt in underneath, but if I’m wearing a shawl collar cardigan, it’s a very warm setup. Even the fur is pretty good - not as dense as the Canada Goose, but shockingly close given the price difference.

Perhaps the best thing, however, is the overall fit and length. Roomy without being boxy means that it looks great, but also allows for proper layering, and I can go out and shovel snow in this thing without feeling like the seams are going to blow out. The length is also generous and at 6’ it’s much appreciated. Too many winter parkas feel like they’re going to expose my waistline and that’s a no go for winter wear.

If anyone else was on the fence with the parka, go for it. View attachment 1343671 View attachment 1343672 View attachment 1343673 View attachment 1343674 View attachment 1343675

for those of you wondering, I communicated with customer service today. They tell me the the down weight is about 230 grams which is about 8 ounces. For reference Canada Goose and Triple Fat Goose have about 13 to 15.5 ounces in their jackets. They both use duck down (lower fill power) and goose down (higher fill power) , as I understand. As such, their stuff isn't something like 800+ fill power that you'd find in a technical belay jackets. It's more like 650 to 700 which is more of the garden variety. I would think SM's fill power using duck down is probably similar fill power around 600 to 650.

8 ounces, by the way, is not little. A technical parka called Rab Neutrino Pro has 8 ounces at 800 fill power. (multiply the two numbers and you get 6400). Assuming SM parka is about 650 fill power at 8 ounces this yields warmth number of 5200. Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Parka also has 8 ounces at 800 fill power. I have to note here that SM parka also has a wool/poly outer layer which should add to warmth (others are just a thin fabric to be light for climbing and such).

The NorthFace McMurdo III parka that every person seems to have has a fill power of 550 which requires more ounces of down to generate the same insulation power/warmth. It's a warm jacket but that thing weighs a ton. As a result, you end up looking like Michelin man.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
for those of you wondering, I communicated with customer service today. They tell me the the down weight is about 230 grams which is about 8 ounces. For reference Canada Goose and Triple Fat Goose have about 13 to 15.5 ounces in their jackets. They both use duck down (lower fill power) and goose down (higher fill power) , as I understand. As such, their stuff isn't something like 800+ fill power that you'd find in a technical belay jackets. It's more like 650 to 700 which is more of the garden variety. I would think SM's fill power using duck down is probably similar fill power around 600 to 650.

8 ounces, by the way, is not little. A technical parka called Rab Neutrino Pro has 8 ounces at 800 fill power. (multiply the two numbers and you get 6400). Assuming SM parka is about 650 fill power at 8 ounces this yields warmth number of 5200. Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Parka also has 8 ounces at 800 fill power. I have to note here that SM parka also has a wool/poly outer layer which should add to warmth (others are just a thin fabric to be light for climbing and such).

The NorthFace McMurdo III parka that every person seems to have has a fill power of 550 which requires more ounces of down to generate the same insulation power/warmth. It's a warm jacket but that thing weighs a ton. As a result, you end up looking like Michelin man.

great info. Definitely one of Spier’s hidden gems this year and I’ve really enjoyed my navy parka. The fabric really elevates it to a level most other parkas can’t touch, and at the final sale price, it’s just an insane value.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Do you all know why there are no reviews on the SM website? Did @spiermackay say that the new website would allow reviews?

writing reviews is pretty buried in the experience, no email prompts to people who bought the products. Best reviews are right here on this thread anyway ;)

zewill

Reaction score
Guys, fit check please as I'm planning to buy more shirts. This is a 15.5 extra slim fit. I'm wondering if I could go 16 extra slim fit? Neck is fine, wouldn't mind a little extra room if it shrinks but right now can put 2 fingers in collar. 36 length I'm happy with, tried 35 length and it shank and my sportscoat are 38L and show cuff with 36 length in shirts:)
All in all in happy with body but afraid of Shrinkage... Haven't owned Spier shirts long enough to have experience despite previous post mentioned limited shrinkage in neck. Will still keep this one tho. Feedback welcome :)

Attachments

• P_20200401_230703.jpg
    P_20200401_230703.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 120

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
View attachment 1364667 View attachment 1364668

Thoughts on these two vs eachother? Don't have any grey check trousers. Would wear with pretty tame/modest sportcoats. I like both and think I prefer the second by a small margin, but think the check may be faint enough that they would disappear to the eye past like 10 feet and thus the first may be better? Would appreciate opinions. Cheers.
I prefer the second option as well.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

Do you think you guys could register for the new European/Norwegian VAT on e-commerce?

I might be the only norwegian buying your stuff, but this would save 10 % customs on all items below approx 300 USD (3000 NOK).

I dont know if it is worth it to you guys, but it could make it easier to recruit new customers.

Here is an english intrduction to the new system.

inTROYspection

Reaction score
great info. Definitely one of Spier’s hidden gems this year and I’ve really enjoyed my navy parka. The fabric really elevates it to a level most other parkas can’t touch, and at the final sale price, it’s just an insane value.

What's the sizing like for the parka?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads