• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhodia

Reaction score
First of all, a relationship between S&M and Harrisons would absolutely wreck my financial situation. Secondly, I believe AskOkey owns the exclusive rights to Harrisons cut length business.

With that being said, my understanding is that S&M will buy their own curated group for RTW/MTO. In addition, they can still buy rolls from M&E, which they'll continue doing. But for the individual customer, if S&M hasn't purchased the specific roll of fabric you're interested in, you won't be able acquire it.

That's what I was told by Rick when I inquired about two specific M&E fabrics.

@DonRaphael Any experience with Bottoli cloth? It's one I see Spier usually goes back to season after season, but I've never handled it myself.

Rhodia

Reaction score
In reality S&M is far behind all other brands. They are pretty solid for entry suits, but when it comes to details they are far behind. Which is understandable at this price point
This is not the conclusion drawn by Manish Puri's article, linked above:

The jacket boasted several other details I wouldn’t expect at this price level: a neatly stitched Milanese buttonhole on the lapel, a boutonniere loop on the reverse, Bemberg cupro lining (many RTW jackets use polyester/viscose), underarm shields (sous bras) and an internal pen pocket.

St1X

Reaction score
This is not the conclusion drawn by Manish Puri's article, linked above:

The jacket boasted several other details I wouldn’t expect at this price level: a neatly stitched Milanese buttonhole on the lapel, a boutonniere loop on the reverse, Bemberg cupro lining (many RTW jackets use polyester/viscose), underarm shields (sous bras) and an internal pen pocket.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that S&M is a crap. Their offerings are very solid. But they are below Suitsupply in terms of quality and are so far behind Cavour for example. P.S. Cupro is a given at any sartorial brand, you find polyester only from fashion brands.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael Any experience with Bottoli cloth? It's one I see Spier usually goes back to season after season, but I've never handled it myself.
I steer away. They're good fabrics in general, but not worth my money. If you can afford to pay the upcharge for better fabrics, do, imo.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that S&M is a crap. Their offerings are very solid. But they are below Suitsupply in terms of quality and are so far behind Cavour for example. P.S. Cupro is a given at any sartorial brand, you find polyester only from fashion brands.
I'd take S&M over any of the others. Both in terms of cut and detailing even at the same price point (some of the other brands are double the price of S&M).

MrFingers

Reaction score
Pretty wild statement right here. I haven’t seen any other brands able to offer a well cut sport coat for 400 (before sales) much less crazy good fabrics such as the fox ones for 600 with full canvas and able to obtain at around 500 with a sale.

If you think it’s far below suit supply I’d like to ask for receipts or details. If not, talk **** post fit. I’d love to be wrong but after handling both, the only way you could think this is if you are as skinny as a twig or love skin tight clothing which is what SS looks like to me.

I agree Spier’s needs work on trousers, however I’ve noticed most people that post fit pics in this thread, never look good in their trousers. Far few people realize they actually need bespoke or MTM.

Just my 2c

tmckay2

Reaction score
To each their own but I've never been impressed with suit supply. They have a lot of cuts and fabrics but the quality always seemed very meh to me. I have a store not too far away and never left super impressed. And they tend to be a little more expensive on top of that.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I can't say that I see a big difference between SM and SuSu wrt quality of construction. What always made me pass over SuSu was the fit, but I'm kind of excited to try out the Roma fit.

tyfighter

Reaction score
Question for the knitwear sale. My dress shirt size at S&M is 15.5 x 35, slim. I've previously tried Large in a S&M sweater and the sleeve length was good, but as expected the chest and shoulders had quite a bit of extra material. Any other tall, skinny folks found success with mediums? Looking at the sizing chart I'm pretty worried about the sleeve length.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
People love to bring up the SuSu comparison. They are two very different stores. Spier at least tries to be classic menswear (though I wish they'd try a bit harder with that these days).

SuSu is absolutely modern fit skinny "fashion." One look at the SuSu website should be enough to illustrate the difference. Every time I've walked into ANY SuSu store I've walked out reminded why I don't spend time or money there. I'm always told by store associates, who never seem knowledgeable about fitment, that I should try their MTM/MTO.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Question for the knitwear sale. My dress shirt size at S&M is 15.5 x 35, slim. I've previously tried Large in a S&M sweater and the sleeve length was good, but as expected the chest and shoulders had quite a bit of extra material. Any other tall, skinny folks found success with mediums? Looking at the sizing chart I'm pretty worried about the sleeve length.
Same here. 15 neck, 35 sleeves. Medium turtleneck was short at sleeves and arm, bought large and was little big in the chest. But honestly not unwearable

tyfighter

Reaction score
Same here. 15 neck, 35 sleeves. Medium turtleneck was short at sleeves and arm, bought large and was little big in the chest. But honestly not unwearable
yeah, with a sweater I'm not as worried about a loose fit in the chest, mostly just wondering if the medium is worth a shot. Sounds like probably stick with the large. Thanks!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be curious for the rationale with SuSu. In regards to the others, I mean…you’re looking at a 2x price difference lol. Not really sure you can reasonably compare the two.

Last edited:

chatelet

Reaction score
Does S&M made an adjustment to their trousers? I recently got two 36's Contemporary and they feel like my 35's Contemporary from a couple of years ago. Size up because some 35's I got in-between felt quite tight.
Yep, I have felt that dress trousers have been running slimmer in the past 12 or 18 months. It’s a shame because it means I need drastic trouser swaps on suits, which isn’t always possible.

Chinos seem less affected.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene