• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this - good read to compare RTW tailoring within this price bracket. Honestly, I feel like S&M stacks up very well against the others based on this article. I have not tried most of the others personally...but have no desire to do so once all the points made in the article are considered.

Agreed, S&M stacks up well

milktoast

Reaction score
Got some S&M chinos back from the tailor (had to get them hemmed) and man is it annoying that all my S&M chinos fit differently. The sage pair I just got is tighter in the waist than others, my navy pair is a bit billowy in the thighs, and the khaki ones have a looser waist.
These sizing inconsistencies make it hard for me to justify buying more chinos from them.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some S&M chinos back from the tailor (had to get them hemmed) and man is it annoying that all my S&M chinos fit differently. The sage pair I just got is tighter in the waist than others, my navy pair is a bit billowy in the thighs, and the khaki ones have a looser waist.
These sizing inconsistencies make it hard for me to justify buying more chinos from them.
All three from the same line? Or maybe different seasons?

sargeinaz

Reaction score
nice…. hopefully it’s joined by a better fabric selection! seems like mto fabrics are disappearing on the website
Agreed. Hopefully they’re revamping it or something. I wish we could more “summer tweeds”. Living in Phoenix, I’ll never dream of being able to wear actual tweed.

Also, I got the cotton tattersall shirt. Really like it. Love the colors and weight of fabric and collar.

However, I wish it had a box pleat. It plainly says in the description it doesn’t, but I didn’t realize how much I dislike the plain back. I really don’t like how so many of their shirts have clean backs. I would easily buy 3 or 4 of the Italian oxfords if they had a box pleat and chest pocket and other shirts too. Will probably at some point try an MTM Oxford from them to get a box pleat and chest pocket.

Last edited:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blu Seersucker (dope) Taupe Tie...

20230816_184528.jpg

20230816_184947.jpg

20230816_185540.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This includes almost all of the M&E they added at the tail end of FW22- I was surprised and disappointed to see it disappear.
The reason being that M&E has discontinued all it's cut length business. Dugdale picked it up and selling it through its own line, but the price has shot up dramatically. M&E reps are quoting more than double the price now.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
The reason being that M&E has discontinued all it's cut length business. Dugdale picked it up and selling it through its own line, but the price has shot up dramatically. M&E reps are quoting more than double the price now.
Yet another reasons they should develop a relationship with Harrisons. The MTO section is looking thin and the current options just aren’t impressive when you include the fact that they won’t source from several of the mills they already use.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another reasons they should develop a relationship with Harrisons. The MTO section is looking thin and the current options just aren’t impressive when you include the fact that they won’t source from several of the mills they already use.
First of all, a relationship between S&M and Harrisons would absolutely wreck my financial situation. Secondly, I believe AskOkey owns the exclusive rights to Harrisons cut length business.

With that being said, my understanding is that S&M will buy their own curated group for RTW/MTO. In addition, they can still buy rolls from M&E, which they'll continue doing. But for the individual customer, if S&M hasn't purchased the specific roll of fabric you're interested in, you won't be able acquire it.

That's what I was told by Rick when I inquired about two specific M&E fabrics.

Last edited:

classicoutfits

Reaction score
First of all, a relationship between S&M and Harrisons would absolutely wreck my financial situation. Secondly, I believe AskOkey owns the exclusive rights to Harrisons cut length business.

With that being said, my understanding is that S&M will buy their own curated group for RTW/MTO. In addition, they can still buy rolls from M&E, which they'll continue doing. But for the individual customer, if S&M hasn't purchased the specific roll of fabric you're interested in, you won't be able acquire it.

I am hoping for ME or Fox sport jacket this fall. That green one looks awesome

sargeinaz

Reaction score

I don’t blame you for asking, those are beautiful 😍

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Just read the article and sums up the experience really well. Great jackets, and a lot of potential for the trouser, but the u line pattern is where it falls short. It's strange thing because when I compare the size charts of S&M and Natalino, they're almost identical. But Natalino's fit is much much more better.

If S&M updated their U line of their trousers, specifically the high rise, u wouldn't need to go to anyone else.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Just read the article and sums up the experience really well. Great jackets, and a lot of potential for the trouser, but the u line pattern is where it falls short. It's strange thing because when I compare the size charts of S&M and Natalino, they're almost identical. But Natalino's fit is much much more better.

If S&M updated their U line of their trousers, specifically the high rise, u wouldn't need to go to anyone else.
My thoughts exactly. I can wear Spier sportcoats, but not the trousers. I can wear Natalino trousers, but not the sportcoats (far too slim).

It goes to show the limitations of size charts - Natalino's jackets measure larger than Spier's, but fit entirely different.

Would love to buy full suit from Spier, but it will never happen if the U-rise stays the same.

St1X

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this - good read to compare RTW tailoring within this price bracket. Honestly, I feel like S&M stacks up very well against the others based on this article. I have not tried most of the others personally...but have no desire to do so once all the points made in the article are considered.
In reality S&M is far behind all other brands. They are pretty solid for entry suits, but when it comes to details they are far behind. Which is understandable at this price point

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt