• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The socks thing doesn’t really make sense in the end of the day since buying an unlined shoe like a pair of loafers or even the shaft of a boot like the Galways will bring them into contact with the dyed suede underside of the unlined leather anyways. People usually opt for the green lining on their boots as a souvenir for a MTO project, something special that you can’t get RTW.
Something like Horween's Chamois leather has been known to stain socks given how oiled it is

tuna roll

Reaction score
It should improve. If you want to speed the process, which I did with my newest pair. I hand flexed the sole a few times and it went away immediately
ah, good idea! will try that

Shoeguy57

Reaction score
Unlined Dovers in Umber from The Hand. Amazingly comfortable and love the color.

Attachments

• 2E96F9CB-4B84-4A9F-8C65-09906BA52990.jpeg
    2E96F9CB-4B84-4A9F-8C65-09906BA52990.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 110

shoefan57

Reaction score
Hello all.

Anybody know the going price for top drawer specs?
It entirely depends on what you ask for but you’re talking around £2500. It’s best to talk to the shop to get a better idea.

Here’s my pair:
IMG_2179.jpeg
IMG_2181.jpeg

The heel is canted and the leather is the best I’ve handled. I have 25 Gaziano and Girlings and 108 Edward Greens - so I’ve got a fair selection to compare. The fit is unbelievably good too and I’m not sure how they achieve that.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It entirely depends on what you ask for but you’re talking around £2500. It’s best to talk to the shop to get a better idea.

Here’s my pair:
View attachment 2200533 View attachment 2200535
The heel is canted and the leather is the best I’ve handled. I have 25 Gaziano and Girlings and 108 Edward Greens - so I’ve got a fair selection to compare. The fit is unbelievably good too and I’m not sure how they achieve that.

Thank you for this I now realized maybe I don't have a problem. It's the old but ya I'm not as bad as that guy.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hi Brains trust, can anyone tell me if there is any significance to the colour of the lining inside a pair of EG Galways? I've seen them with green and with brown and with red/pink. Is it just random or does it mean something?

Here's a red/pink version

View attachment 2199505 View attachment 2199507

and these are green
View attachment 2199509

I picked the purple lining on the Brown Utah and Suede Galways. If you do. MTO or group MTO you can pick the lining color.

-Mike

SirThopas

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Edward Greens in a charity shop a while back. They have an S on the disc where the details of size and last are presented. Does this mean they were originally sold as Seconds? I am asking because I intend to sell them but don’t want to ask an unrealistic price.

Attachments

• IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6726.jpeg
    IMG_6726.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 101

symphvaria

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Edward Greens in a charity shop a while back. They have an S on the disc where the details of size and last are presented. Does this mean they were originally sold as Seconds? I am asking because I intend to sell them but don’t want to ask an unrealistic price.
That S seems drawn on after the fact by someone else. It could have been written by the original owner and not EG.

ZRH1

Reaction score
is it me or is the idea of buying (presumably low) in a charity shop and then selling (presumably high) onwards a bit of an odd phenomenon? I get the whole supply and demand matching but still.

SirThopas

Reaction score
is it me or is the idea of buying (presumably low) in a charity shop and then selling (presumably high) onwards a bit of an odd phenomenon? I get the whole supply and demand matching but still.

By charity shop standards, the shoes weren’t cheap, and I’m not necessarily going to ask a higher price for them than I paid.

I’m in the UK, and a lot of British charity shops have become extremely savvy in their pricing of higher end goods, so one’s still getting a decent buy but hardly a wild bargain.

It’s not a case of flipping a lucky find - though I don’t see anything terribly wrong with that. Rather, I don’t wear the shoes, as I have a better-looking pair in the same style (but not EG). Moving them on seems sensible.

The alternatives are allowing them to languish in the back of my closet or giving them away. I give most of my unwanted clothes to charities, but I don’t see that I have a moral obligation to do that in all cases.

Besides, selling items guarantees that they go - swiftly - to people who want them. A few years ago I gave some well-used but still serviceable Crocketts to my local Oxfam, where they sat unpurchased for ages.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smooth bernie