• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted, and where you will find more and more great sales posted as Black Friday approacheds, HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

mbb355

Reaction score
Cardigans look good on everyone. Are the buttons a tad big or is it just me?

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Cardigans look good on everyone. Are the buttons a tad big or is it just me?
This is not your dad's shawl cardigan. This is chunky.

I would say bigger buttons are part of the style for this type of cardigan, as you can see here. The chunkier the cardigan, the bigger the buttons you can get away with. Maybe you could reduce the diameter of the button a bit if it was leather, but otherwise this feels just right to me.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
1.1 kg of shawl collar wool goodness arrived here in Norway today. I wear 40l contemporary SCs unaltered and 36 inch shirt sleeve and bought a large cardigan. Really happy with the size and i really need the large sleeve length.

Its navy and I dont see the purple hue mentioned earlier.
So the cardigans are 1kg+? Kent Wang's cardigans are around 1kg so this would mean that they're the same weight?

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
I'm planning to swap the buttons to smaller, horn ones too. These seem decent: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-Dark-Brown-Buffalo-horn-Buttons-coat-jacket-sizes-13-16-7-8-1-inch-cb461/293548410569

Can someone actually help measure the diameter of the current buttons on the cardigan? Just want to make sure I don't order bigger or same ones.
They're supposed to be 28mm (source) but I measure them to be more like 26-27mm. However, I don't have a caliper so take that with a grain of salt.

Anything 1" (25mm/40 ligne) and under should be smaller though.

They're plastic because they're big? Huh?
Rick was saying the buttons ended up being plastic because they "didn't come even close to the [minimum order] quantity required" for genuine horn buttons in that size.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey Moon PoW from 2018, Botto Giuseppe high rise flannels (best flannels I’ve ever tried and relaunched this season) and purple label Italian collar shirt - this will be my go to collar for any future MTO shirts, its perfect.

View attachment 1483099
View attachment 1483100
Looking great, mate. Have you considered a combination in which you try to bring out the pink in the jacket?

1st Step

Reaction score
I'm planning to swap the buttons to smaller, horn ones too. These seem decent: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-Dark-Brown-Buffalo-horn-Buttons-coat-jacket-sizes-13-16-7-8-1-inch-cb461/293548410569

Can someone actually help measure the diameter of the current buttons on the cardigan? Just want to make sure I don't order bigger or same ones.
Sir, I believe those are plastic as well

Real horn

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford