• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
I'm planning to swap the buttons to smaller, horn ones too. These seem decent: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-Dark-Brow...ket-sizes-13-16-7-8-1-inch-cb461/293548410569

Can someone actually help measure the diameter of the current buttons on the cardigan? Just want to make sure I don't order bigger or same ones.
They're supposed to be 28mm (source) but I measure them to be more like 26-27mm. However, I don't have a caliper so take that with a grain of salt.

Anything 1" (25mm/40 ligne) and under should be smaller though.

They're plastic because they're big? Huh?
Rick was saying the buttons ended up being plastic because they "didn't come even close to the [minimum order] quantity required" for genuine horn buttons in that size.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey Moon PoW from 2018, Botto Giuseppe high rise flannels (best flannels I’ve ever tried and relaunched this season) and purple label Italian collar shirt - this will be my go to collar for any future MTO shirts, its perfect.

View attachment 1483099
View attachment 1483100
Looking great, mate. Have you considered a combination in which you try to bring out the pink in the jacket?

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, There are different ways of doing a cuff, but a true cuff is ideal for durability of the hem and longevity of the trousers themselves. A true cuff uses a regular stich for the hem (similar to chinos) as opposed to a blind stitch--since the hem won't be seen--making for a much more secure hold than a trouser without a cuff. The hem is longer than the desired inseam because the fabric is folded over itself and then sewn in place at the side seams (any cuttings to reduce length are discarded, NOT sewn onto the cuff). This means that the friction point between your pant leg and shoes or the ground actually occurs past your measured inseam at a length twice the width of the cuff. So if it begins to fray, you can easily release the hem, fold back the cloth, and have either a smaller cuff or an uncuffed hem put in with the frayed section either removed or folded inside the leg.
I thought the most straightforward way of doing a cuff was to give it a hem like you describe (one cuff length longer than the inseam, with a corresponding amount also extra on the inside, of course) and then simply turn it up and tack it. In other words, if you want a two-inch cuff on a 32 inseam, with let's say one inch from the inseam to the hem stitch, then you turn up three inches on the inside, from 34 inches overall, and then simply turn the two inches back up for the cuff. This will leave the hem stitch at one inch from the bottom, and you'll be able to see it when you peek inside the cuff (assuming it's not a blind stitch, as you described).

If so, wouldn't that mean the wear was still happening at exactly your inseam, just on the outside instead of the inside? In other words, if it actually frayed through, then going from cuff to plain bottom wouldn't help because you'd still have wear on that same line.

Edit: Ah, but it gives you an extra layer of fabric at the end of the inseam, meaning you'd actually have to wear through the outside layer to the get to the one that would be left if you converted to plain hem. Now I get it.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're plastic because they're big? Huh?

Seems like you don't upgrade coat buttons often. It's hella hard to source huge genuine horn buttons with the color you want. I've resorted to settling with smaller buttons which I prefer anyway.

Ideally the cardigan buttons should be replaced with a 28mm but a 25mm could work. The price difference between the 20mm vs 28mm is quite huge.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a quick shot of the navy shawl cardigan. I’m liking the slouchy, relaxed feel. I wear a 36s slim jacket and I took a small.

View attachment 1483270

out of curiosity, what is your normal sleeve length? And it looks like the sleeves are rolled a bit?

I’m trying to figure out how mine is going to fit before it comes in on Tuesday, I haven’t seen too many smalls posted here

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally mundane question (my specialty): the merino wool turtlenecks, fine gauge not cable knit--will they stretch out and lose shape if I hang them? Or is it better to fold them and store them in a drawer? Same question for the merino wool LS polos

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally mundane question (my specialty): the merino wool turtlenecks, fine gauge not cable knit--will they stretch out and lose shape if I hang them? Or is it better to fold them and store them in a drawer? Same question for the merino wool LS polos
I would fold any fine gauge knit wear made of merino wool over hanging, no matter the thickness. No one likes shoulder dimples lol. If you absolutely must hang them, fold them then hang them on the trouser bar part

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
out of curiosity, what is your normal sleeve length? And it looks like the sleeves are rolled a bit?

I’m trying to figure out how mine is going to fit before it comes in on Tuesday, I haven’t seen too many smalls posted here

Yes, the sleeves are rolled up but it could also do without. I just like the look of rolled up sleeves on chunky knits. I’m usually a 33 length in shirts.

mbb355

Reaction score
Seems like you don't upgrade coat buttons often. It's hella hard to source huge genuine horn buttons with the color you want. I've resorted to settling with smaller buttons which I prefer anyway.

Ideally the cardigan buttons should be replaced with a 28mm but a 25mm could work. The price difference between the 20mm vs 28mm is quite huge.

I mean sure but my whole point was that the buttons on these new shawl cardigans are a tad big. So, at least for purposes of this shawl cardigan and pieces like it, there's no need to "source huge" buttons of any kind--plastic, horn, etc. etc.

Cmezavz

Reaction score
Does anyone have any IRL picture of this guy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads