• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, tbh. But it looks like the perfect bright shade of navy. I have several navy (hopsack) jackets. But they're all dark/midnight. This one would definitely fill a void in the navy department in my wardrobe.
It almost looks like the navy sweaters where it has like a purple/navy hue to it. Unique compared to the traditional dark almost black navy
Last years version had the patch breast pocket, it's a heavier hopsack - a really nice fabric.

2014-324-2-1.jpg
Hmmmm, wonder if this fabric would be a better year round navy sport coat compared to the SS Angelico Navy Hopsack for me in Canada...

c.bisesar

Reaction score
It seems this was released last year as well? Curious if there is any photos of it out there and how it compares to the SS Angelico Navy Hopsack
Not sure, tbh. But it looks like the perfect bright shade of navy. I have several navy (hopsack) jackets. But they're all dark/midnight. This one would definitely fill a void in the navy department in my wardrobe.

Can't compare it to the most recent iteration, but I've got the SS19 jacket. It's definitely a vibrant shade of navy, pretty much just blue. I've attached a shot in daylight beside some other S&M jackets for a reference point.

Attachments

• IMG_0597-Edit-2.jpg
    IMG_0597-Edit-2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0553-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0553-Edit.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20201023_135712.jpg
    IMG_20201023_135712.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 154

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't compare it to the most recent iteration, but I've got the SS19 jacket. It's definitely a vibrant shade of navy, pretty much just blue. I've attached a shot in daylight beside some other S&M jackets for a reference point.
Thanks for the pics, mate. Yours look really vibrant. What's the fabric code of it? Do you like it?

Is that brown SC in your wardrobe the Drago slub that was available a couple of seasons ago? I like it.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, mate. Yours look really vibrant. What's the fabric code of it? Do you like it?

Is that brown SC in your wardrobe the Drago slub that was available a couple of seasons ago? I like it.

Always happy to help. The code is 2504-001/4-32152-SS19-SLIM -40. This was one of the first jackets I got from S&M and probably the most worn. Very light and airy, and the color is quite nice. Definitely doesn't replace the typical navy jacket, but is a nice addition.

Yup, that's the Drago Brown Slub - another great jacket. I've got two Drago jackets so far and I love them both.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.1 kg of shawl collar wool goodness arrived here in Norway today. I wear 40l contemporary SCs unaltered and 36 inch shirt sleeve and bought a large cardigan. Really happy with the size and i really need the large sleeve length.

Its navy and I dont see the purple hue mentioned earlier.

IMG_20201023_201644.jpg

hamnjam

Reaction score
Curious for all the people that feel this way...how much longer is the rise on the "high rise" than what you normally prefer? For a pair of dress trousers, 11" is pretty much the absolute minimum rise I am interested in. So the S&M high rise are, for me, basically just "normal rise".

I have only recently started wearing mid rise so wearing trousers just below my belly button is new. So do SM trousers sit lower than other brands high rise?

I tried on high rise trousers once, and I just couldn't take myself seriously. I think others can look great in them, including many SF members who post fit pics. But as I mentioned in my last post, my social context (including the hyper-casual dress "code" at my office) makes the high rise thing unappealing to me. Mid rise all the way.

Yes, I started to realize that I'm standing out at my work place so trying to figure out where I can dial back a bit.

hamnjam

Reaction score
Well, if you're building a staples wardrobe only I'd stick to basics: navy, green, brown solids and throw in one or two checks or houndstooths. I love solid subtle herringbone patterns personally. Have you checked the MTO section?

I am in a similar situation as the original poster you responded to.

I have added a navy hopsack and green Donegal sport coat. Based on your advice, I'm really thinking of a dark brown herringbone. Any word on if SM will drop any RTW for this season?

There very appealing options on their MTO program but considerably more expensive. That Harris Tweed is very appealing.

hamnjam

Reaction score
1.1 kg of shawl collar wool goodness arrived here in Norway today. I wear 40l contemporary SCs unaltered and 36 inch shirt sleeve and bought a large cardigan. Really happy with the size and i really need the large sleeve length.

Its navy and I dont see the purple hue mentioned earlier.

Looks great! I'm waiting on my navy to arrive here. I ordered in both a small and medium as I wasn't sure on my sizing and returns are so easy.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation as the original poster you responded to.

I have added a navy hopsack and green Donegal sport coat. Based on your advice, I'm really thinking of a dark brown herringbone. Any word on if SM will drop any RTW for this season?

There very appealing options on their MTO program but considerably more expensive. That Harris Tweed is very appealing.
No drops of that kind from what I've heard.

A navy hopsack is a solid foundation to build upon. There're some excellent dark brown herringbone options in the MTO options for summer and winter seasons. I'm going to commission them myself in the coming months. There's a tobacco fresco and a brown fresco both from Minnis that are great as well.

I understand that going the MTO route is more expensive. But in my opinion, if you're building a minimalist wardrobe, it's totally worth if I since you're getting the exact pieces you're looking for. Unless you find the pieces through RTW of course.

As for the green donegal, I thing there're better options. But that's only my personal opinion. There's a forest green/black twill in the MTO section that is great for the winter/fall season. For the rest of the year, there's an excellent green fresco which was available through RTW a couple of seasons ago.

Let me know if you want the fabric codes for the fabrics I've mentioned and I'll happily provide (didn't do it now since I'm writing from the phone and have the codes on my computer).

Good luck!

hamnjam

Reaction score

A navy hopsack is a solid foundation to build upon. There're some excellent dark brown herringbone options in the MTO options for summer and winter seasons. I'm going to commission them myself in the coming months. There's a tobacco fresco and a brown fresco both from Minnis that are great as well.

I understand that going the MTO route is more expensive. But in my opinion, if you're building a minimalist wardrobe, it's totally worth if I since you're getting the exact pieces you're looking for. Unless you find the pieces through RTW of course.

As for the green donegal, I thing there're better options. But that's only my personal opinion. There's a forest green/black twill in the MTO section that is great for the winter/fall season. For the rest of the year, there's an excellent green fresco which was available through RTW a couple of seasons ago.

Let me know if you want the fabric codes for the fabrics I've mentioned and I'll happily provide (didn't do it now since I'm writing from the phone and have the codes on my computer).

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

The Bottoli green donegal isn't may not be the most versatile but as green is one of my colours, I have added this to my rotation. Due to this, I think a brown tweed is probably a good next as step as it is quite versatile (as per the permanent style article that was quoted here).

I'm starting to turn around to the idea of MTO as my ideal fall/winter jackets collection will consist of 2-3 sport coats to wear with odd trousers. (2-3 sport coats for spring/summer).

The fresco you have mentioned are spring/summer weight i think.

In terms of brown herringbones, I was thinking of Marling & Evans - Dark Brown or the Abraham Moon - Tobacco/Black Herringbone Tweed. Of course, I could increase the budget for the harris tweeds.

theh00d

Reaction score
Hmm can't decide which covert twill. Which colorway would be more versatile?
or should I go for the Botto Giuseppe - Green Flannel? Haha

Would mostly wear with Brown, Navy, Cream/Oatmeal, Camel, Charcoal/Grey tops

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any size guide on the vest? I might pick the gray one up. I'm thinking M for 38 chest

JayDee90

Reaction score

Good luck!
if it is the bottle green you speak of, I don't believe S&M ever offered that in RTW, only MTO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads