• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need someone to take this idea out of my head, sometimes, I get this feeling that maybe I could use a 44R. When I have been measured for MTM garments, the length that the tailor said to me was from the BOC 31.5” which most 44L pass it by 0.5” and the 44R would be short by 0.8” according to the size guide.

So I need to hear: your “loco” stick with the 44L.

This is the only approach I have with a 44R, a suit that my dad ordered.

View attachment 1205128

44L

View attachment 1205135
44L definitely. Length looks perfect to me.

I await the day I can order a 36L in MTO.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the extra length on the L. The 44L definitely looks proportionate to your body and I think it especially works with a jacket that has such open quarters.

I'm sure you can make a 44R work if you really wanted but I would stick with the Long. Just my 2¢
Said it better than I could.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Excuse it however you wish, but the shirt is too small. So you're slouching a bit in your seat... that doesn't mean the buttons and placket should pull and gape the way they are in your pic.

As above we'll agree to disagree.

It's an effect of the angle, and being more than slightly slouched but rather jammed into the window and twisted.

I'll admit not a great picture. It was intended to show the color on the denim for those fence sitting on a purchase rather than for adjudicating fit (which I'm quit comfortable with).

Thilgela

Reaction score
Guys, I need someone to take this idea out of my head, sometimes, I get this feeling that maybe I could use a 44R. When I have been measured for MTM garments, the length that the tailor said to me was from the BOC 31.5” which most 44L pass it by 0.5” and the 44R would be short by 0.8” according to the size guide.

View attachment 1205128

44L

View attachment 1205135

The neo 44L definitely looks fuller than non-neo 44R. I agree 44L has better length but somehow it's way too fuller than the 44R shown in the shoulder and chest.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As above we'll agree to disagree.

It's an effect of the angle, and being more than slightly slouched but rather jammed into the window and twisted.

I'll admit not a great picture. It was intended to show the color on the denim for those fence sitting on a purchase rather than for adjudicating fit (which I'm quit comfortable with).

“A well fitting shirt should have relatively clean lines no matter what position your body is in.”

Yours clearly does not. Anyway, that’s all I’ll say on the matter. Multiple people here are telling you it’s too tight, but hey, you’re obviously happy with it, so you do you.

dluce76

Reaction score

View attachment 1205128

44L

View attachment 1205135
Frankly I think you'd be fine either way. I agree with the other posters on here that long looks a little better, but by no means is regular bad.

I'd say since you are one of the poor 44L guys who have to fight over 4 jackets, if you miss out on a drop, you'd be fine w a 44R.

Or just do what I'm doing and save for MTO and nail your 31.5 BOC everytime.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1205128

44L

View attachment 1205135
The L is more flattering. I always love your pics.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1205128

44L

View attachment 1205135

That is extremely weird, I am 6'1" and 215 and wear a 54R (44R). I am traveling so only have a jacket and a suit with me, but both are:

23 p2p
19.5" shoulders
25" arms
31.5" BoC

The jacket is Canali and the suit is Ermenegildo Zegna. I find most jackets except "modern" or slim cut (where I take a 56R) meet these measurements.

I haven't bought a jacket from S&M yet (just bought a pair of pants and 2 polos which are waiting for me at home), are you buying the slim fit or contemporary?

sid11111

Reaction score

“A well fitting shirt should have relatively clean lines no matter what position your body is in.”

Yours clearly does not. Anyway, that’s all I’ll say on the matter. Multiple people here are telling you it’s too tight, but hey, you’re obviously happy with it, so you do you.

Well, you know. Tight shirts are sexy. *ahem*

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is extremely weird, I am 6'1" and 215 and wear a 54R (44R). I am traveling so only have a jacket and a suit with me, but both are:

23 p2p
19.5" shoulders
25" arms
31.5" BoC

The jacket is Canali and the suit is Ermenegildo Zegna. I find most jackets except "modern" or slim cut (where I take a 56R) meet these measurements.

I haven't bought a jacket from S&M yet (just bought a pair of pants and 2 polos which are waiting for me at home), are you buying the slim fit or contemporary?
It is indeed weird haha. I’m 6’1” too and 195 lb in SuitSupply I always buy 56R since they don’t have long sizes for the SC’s but somehow the 54R doesn’t covers my rear fully. The extra inches of the Long size covers completely my rear.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The neo 44L definitely looks fuller than non-neo 44R. I agree 44L has better length but somehow it's way too fuller than the 44R shown in the shoulder and chest.
That’s the tailoring, I guess haha this one was altered by a better tailor.

424AE4DB-60C9-4D63-8D6F-1983EB5A92C2.jpeg

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is indeed weird haha. I’m 6’1” too and 195 lb in SuitSupply I always buy 56R since they don’t have long sizes for the SC’s but somehow the 54R doesn’t covers my rear fully. The extra inches of the Long size covers completely my rear.

Good to know, I am really looking at the Ethomas green texture jacket, have put it in my shopping cart 3 times, I just keep forcing myself to wait until I find if I like my first order. I checked the size guide, and I may have to get a 44L also, although I need the sleeve length of the 44S ? Never really thought I had TRex arms before...

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to know, I am really looking at the Ethomas green texture jacket, have put it in my shopping cart 3 times, I just keep forcing myself to wait until I find if I like my first order. I checked the size guide, and I may have to get a 44L also, although I need the sleeve length of the 44S ? Never really thought I had TRex arms before...
Good thing is that there are no fake buttonholes so tailoring them it’s easier.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Too small
I’ve increased my shirt size recently to avoid the gapping between buttons shown here. Anyone know what measurements for mom would help decrease these? Adding to the chest?

Bumping this. How do you ensure there is no gaps in the placket? I have a couple of shirts where the measurements of the rest of the shirt is near perfect but there are some gaps. Is it the chest measurement that needs to be upsized?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads